Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Moving a bandsaw

Second "Machines are Heavy" thread in a day.

I've got a chance to buy a used Jet 14" saw (not sure which model yet)
but I think I'm going to have to move it myself. The seller is a widow
and, unless they've slipped some steroids into her hormone therapy, is
unlikely to be of much help.

Size isn't a problem (my wife just coughed for some reason) but weight
is, I don't think I could lift it alone into my van. I think my best
bet is to disassemble the saw into smaller parts and move the parts.
Never having been closer than four inches (coughed again, must be
allergies) to a bandsaw, I have no idea how much they can be broken
down, and what the best strategy for reducing the weight might be. Can
the table be removed? Can the wheels be taken out? Can the top arm be
separated from the bottom? Should I prop it on skateboards and drag it
behind my car?

I appreciate any help that can be offered. I'd enlist some friends to
help my move it, but the fact that I'm here posting on the internet
should give you a sense of how many friends I have. Perhaps it's my
attitude. Anyway, thanks!

Posted to rec.woodworking
Stephen M

The table top and motor should not be too tough to remove and will account
for a fair amount of weight. If there is an integrated stand, that might be
worth removing just to make the main casting that much easier to remove.

-Steve

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Fly-by-Night CC

In article . com,
wrote:

I have no idea how much they can be broken
down, and what the best strategy for reducing the weight might be. Can
the table be removed? Can the wheels be taken out? Can the top arm be
separated from the bottom? Should I prop it on skateboards and drag it
behind my car?

Having just moved a 700 pound band saw, I think I can offer a few tips.
The absolutely easiest way would be to beg, borrow, rent or steal a
utility trailer and heavy-duty appliance dolly. The appliance dolly
needs to be one with the auxiliary wheels at the back that can be
extended for support. You should be able to muscle the Jet band saw
around with this setup fairly easily - these only weigh about 200 lbs.
They are a tad top-heavy, so just be aware of that when you tip it back.

http://users.easystreet.com/onlnlowe...w/AsUnloaded.j
pg

If you must do without the trailer and dolly, I'd recommend taking the
table off (loosen and remove the two tilt/angle knobs on the underside
of the table - the table should lift straight up off the trunnions);
remove the drive belt from the motor and then unbolt the upper assembly
from the base. With those three components separated, you shouldn't have
too much trouble lifting by yourself.

I'd not separate the upper arm casting from the lower casting - just too
much trouble and I don't think it's necessary - and I'm a 180 lb
weakling... If you do decide to go this route, make sure you have a BIG
wrench to fit the bolt and nut.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the
Corporate States of America and to the
Republicans for which it stands, one nation,
under debt, easily divisible, with liberty
and justice for oil."
- Wiley Miller, Non Sequitur, 1/24/05
Posted to rec.woodworking
Clint

How strong do you feel, and how far do you have to move it? I've moved my
14" Delta, with the riser kit on it a few times. Some things to note:

1) My bandsaw could get taken off it's base pretty easy.
2) The motor also comes off pretty easy, but I'd probably avoid doing this,
because it's a real bugger to get it back in place.
3) Use your head, not your back (where-ever possible). Think about getting
a mobile base for it, and using that to move it around. Back your van up as
close as you can to it, and gently ease it over, then slide it around. And
so on...

Having said all that, the top part of the bandsaw (with both wheels, etc)
is, I'm guessing about 2/3 to 3/4 of the total weight. Out of a 200 pound
bandsaw, that's what, 120 to 150 pounds? It's awkward to move, it will
crush fingers (DAMHIKT) if you're not careful setting it down, and it's not
much fun to move by yourself, especially up a flight of stairs. I don't
think you'll save much weight by taking the wheels off, but if you separate
the top section from the bottom, you'll get a reasonable division of the
weight, I think. Bottom part will probalby still be heavier, but not too
bad. Table is easy to remove and put back on, though.

Clint

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

I would download the JET manual for this and see how the
thing was assembled and follow the reverse of that to get
into pieces.

If you WANT to move it whole, why not see if a local moving
company will do it? Sometimes these guys finish early in
the day and might want to make a quick dollar.

Just a suggestion. Watch your back!

MJ Wallace

Posted to rec.woodworking
Vic Baron

The Jet weighs about the same as the Grizzly G0555 - a little over 200#.
It's a bit top heavy but if you have an appliance dolly - should be no
problem. If you plan ahead, you should be able to get it to the van and use
the top heavy feature to tilt it on it's side and slide it into the van. If
you use leverage properly, you should have no problem and not have to
dismantle the saw.

HTH

ups.com...