Posted to rec.woodworking
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net

Default Recommendations for good box-making books?

As a novice woodworker, I'd like to try my hand at making some boxes.
The two books that struck my interest were "Taunton's Complete
Illustrated Guide to Box Making" by Doug Stowe and "Box-Making Basics :
Design, Technique, Projects" by David Freedman.

Can anyone recommend these or any other books? I would eventually like
to make some nice jewelry boxes or just some boxes that merit a nice
exotic wood combo. I've seen plenty of beautiful boxes at craft shows
that "seem" to be easily constructed, but until I actually try it, I
wouldn't assume that anything is easy!

Thanks!

Jack

Posted to rec.woodworking
charlie b

mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net wrote:

As a novice woodworker, I'd like to try my hand at making some boxes.
The two books that struck my interest were "Taunton's Complete
Illustrated Guide to Box Making" by Doug Stowe and "Box-Making Basics :
Design, Technique, Projects" by David Freedman.

Can anyone recommend these or any other books? I would eventually like
to make some nice jewelry boxes or just some boxes that merit a nice
exotic wood combo. I've seen plenty of beautiful boxes at craft shows
that "seem" to be easily constructed, but until I actually try it, I
wouldn't assume that anything is easy!

Thanks!

Jack

I've got both of Doug Stowe's books on box making - the other being
Making Elegant Boxes. I can recomend both of his books.

Douge Stowe used to post here regularly but it's been a while
since his last post. He's also done another book on furniture
making - IIRC mainly on tables.

In addition to a table saw and a miter saw, a router table is
handy to have. You'll find that using flat, square stock, either
buying it that way or making it that way, is a must if you want
joints to fit together and stay together.

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking
Smaug Ichorfang

"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" "mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" wrote
in :

As a novice woodworker, I'd like to try my hand at making some boxes.

Stowe's books are good. There are a couple of books on bandsaw boxes (check
Rockler and Woodcraft catalogs). Tony Lydgate has a series of books out.
Some of the boxes shown are just gallery examples, others have construction
details. It is also good to do google, yahoo, and other searches to get
tips and examples, esp. using the names in the books.
Posted to rec.woodworking
JES

mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net wrote:
As a novice woodworker, I'd like to try my hand at making some boxes.
The two books that struck my interest were "Taunton's Complete
Illustrated Guide to Box Making" by Doug Stowe and "Box-Making Basics :
Design, Technique, Projects" by David Freedman.

Can anyone recommend these or any other books? I would eventually like
to make some nice jewelry boxes or just some boxes that merit a nice
exotic wood combo. I've seen plenty of beautiful boxes at craft shows
that "seem" to be easily constructed, but until I actually try it, I
wouldn't assume that anything is easy!

You could also have a look at the reviews on amazon.com

JES
Posted to rec.woodworking
Lobby Dosser

JES wrote:

mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net wrote:
As a novice woodworker, I'd like to try my hand at making some boxes.
The two books that struck my interest were "Taunton's Complete
Illustrated Guide to Box Making" by Doug Stowe and "Box-Making Basics
: Design, Technique, Projects" by David Freedman.

Can anyone recommend these or any other books? I would eventually
like to make some nice jewelry boxes or just some boxes that merit a
nice exotic wood combo. I've seen plenty of beautiful boxes at craft
shows that "seem" to be easily constructed, but until I actually try
it, I wouldn't assume that anything is easy!

Anything by Doug Stowe.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Kevin Singleton

I'll add another vote for Doug Stowe's books. His writing style and use of
native woods grants a sense of confidence that you can duplicate his
success. He's also a very nice guy. I wonder what he's up to, now?

Kevin
"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" "mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" wrote
in message . ..
As a novice woodworker, I'd like to try my hand at making some boxes. The
two books that struck my interest were "Taunton's Complete Illustrated
Guide to Box Making" by Doug Stowe and "Box-Making Basics : Design,
Technique, Projects" by David Freedman.

Can anyone recommend these or any other books? I would eventually like to
make some nice jewelry boxes or just some boxes that merit a nice exotic
wood combo. I've seen plenty of beautiful boxes at craft shows that
"seem" to be easily constructed, but until I actually try it, I wouldn't
assume that anything is easy!

Thanks!

Jack

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dear Kevin:

We are very pleased and honored that Doug Stowe will be teaching Master
Box Making here at American Sycamore June 26-30th. Doug is so talented
and he is such a nice person. We are looking forward to his class.
www.americansycamoreretreat.com
thanks,
Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking
Australopithecus scobis

In article ,
wrote:

Can anyone recommend these or any other books?

Amazon has a "recommendation" feature that you may like. First find your
two books on Amazon and add them to your cart (you won't be buying them,
don't worry.) Then, at the top of the page is a tab, second from the
left. If you've logged in, it will say "mywebaccts' page". Amazon finds
books that other buyers of your books have also bought. You can refine
the suggestions by selecting "add to wish list," "not interested," or "i
own it." Play with the selections and you will end up with some very
interesting recommendations. Then check those out of your local library.

I rarely use Amazon, just happened across the feature a couple of weeks
ago. It's turned into a major time sink, I have a to-read list a couple
of pages long, and I'm running the interlibrary loan courier ragged.

--
"Keep your ass behind you."
Posted to rec.woodworking
henry

I just made 4 boxes from American Woodworker # 113 Jan 2005. Box Joints
Spalted tops set in a frame.I have a spread sheet with other plans from
different wood mags that I could fax or e-mail attachment. It has the
source FWW,WJ,AM,Wood, finished size, very general description. This
would be useless if you dont have the mags. Are band saw boxes in your
hunt for books?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andrew Barss

"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" "mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" wrote:
: As a novice woodworker, I'd like to try my hand at making some boxes.
: The two books that struck my interest were "Taunton's Complete
: Illustrated Guide to Box Making" by Doug Stowe and "Box-Making Basics :
: Design, Technique, Projects" by David Freedman.

: Can anyone recommend these or any other books? I would eventually like
: to make some nice jewelry boxes or just some boxes that merit a nice
: exotic wood combo. I've seen plenty of beautiful boxes at craft shows
: that "seem" to be easily constructed, but until I actually try it, I
: wouldn't assume that anything is easy!

In addition to others mentioned in this thread, look for books by
Andrew Crawford. He has a couple, and another with Peter Lloyd; Looyd
has another book as well. They are extraordinary:

http://www.fine-boxes.com/
http://www.fine-boxes.com/pages/nsfset_bks.html

All should be available --

Andy Barss

Anybody have recommendations for ROUTER, KITCHEN DESIGN and CABINET MAKING BOOKS! .HMFIC@1369 Woodworking 5 April 29th 05 11:13 AM
Old Books J T Woodworking 16 February 14th 05 06:06 PM
INSTRUCTIONS - Finding Books J T Woodworking 10 January 14th 05 02:28 AM
OT=Sea Changes in the Media Gunner Metalworking 47 November 20th 03 01:27 PM