Posted to rec.woodworking
charlie b

Default Mitering Two Different Board Widths - Chinese Solution #1

Noticed that in the Chinese rosewood furniture I inherited - and
there's literally almost a ton of it, that they'd come up with a
more elegant solution to the "challenge" of joining two different
width boards at 90 degrees to each other. Have posted two
pics in a.b.p.w. of an example of one of their solutions.

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour

charlie b wrote:
Noticed that in the Chinese rosewood furniture I inherited - and
there's literally almost a ton of it, that they'd come up with a
more elegant solution to the "challenge" of joining two different
width boards at 90 degrees to each other. Have posted two
pics in a.b.p.w. of an example of one of their solutions.

Not to ruffle your feathers, CB, but the Chinese solution is a hell of
a lot simpler than yours.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Guess who

On Sat, 27 May 2006 15:54:52 -0700, charlie b
wrote:

Noticed that in the Chinese rosewood furniture I inherited - and
there's literally almost a ton of it, that they'd come up with a
more elegant solution to the "challenge" of joining two different
width boards at 90 degrees to each other. Have posted two
pics in a.b.p.w. of an example of one of their solutions.

Board widths are small [s] and large [L]...

s/L is the tangent of one angle; the small board if using them as
indicated here. The other [large board angle cut] is 90 minus that
....or whatever else you want as a total angle, minus that.

It gets trickier when ...the boards need compound angles.

Posted to rec.woodworking
eclipsme

I am not great at trig, but this just does not seem right.

wrote:

Board widths are small [s] and large [L]...

suppose they are both 4". [s] = 4 and [L] = 4

s/L is the tangent of one angle; the small board if using them as
indicated here.

4/4=1

The other [large board angle cut] is 90 minus that
...or whatever else you want as a total angle, minus that.

90 - 1 = 89

So, cut 1 at 1 degree, and 1 at 89 degrees? Right.

It gets trickier when ...the boards need compound angles.

Tricky enough as is.

Harvey
Posted to rec.woodworking
Leuf

wrote:

Board widths are small [s] and large [L]...

suppose they are both 4". [s] = 4 and [L] = 4

s/L is the tangent of one angle; the small board if using them as
indicated here.

4/4=1

The other [large board angle cut] is 90 minus that
...or whatever else you want as a total angle, minus that.

90 - 1 = 89

So, cut 1 at 1 degree, and 1 at 89 degrees? Right.

No

tan A = 4/4

A = arctan 1

A = 45 degrees

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
eclipsme wrote:

I am not great at trig, but this just does not seem right.

I agree with that "one thousand percent"! *GRIN*

wrote:

Board widths are small [s] and large [L]...

suppose they are both 4". [s] = 4 and [L] = 4

s/L is the tangent of one angle; the small board if using them as
indicated here.

4/4=1

The other [large board angle cut] is 90 minus that
...or whatever else you want as a total angle, minus that.

90 - 1 = 89

So, cut 1 at 1 degree, and 1 at 89 degrees? Right.

Wrong. Repeating, "S/l is the _tangent_ of the angle..."

so tan(angle) = 4/4 == 1
thus angle = arctan(1) == 45 degrees

and 90-45 = 45

So, cut 1 at 45 degrees, and the other at 45 degrees (too).

It gets trickier when ...the boards need compound angles.

Tricky enough as is.

Harvey

Jimmy Stewart insists that it is not beyond the capabilities of the
average Pookah.

Posted to rec.woodworking
eclipsme

wrote:

Board widths are small [s] and large [L]...

suppose they are both 4". [s] = 4 and [L] = 4

s/L is the tangent of one angle; the small board if using them as
indicated here.

4/4=1

The other [large board angle cut] is 90 minus that
...or whatever else you want as a total angle, minus that.

90 - 1 = 89

So, cut 1 at 1 degree, and 1 at 89 degrees? Right.

No

tan A = 4/4

A = arctan 1

A = 45 degrees

Ok, ok. I *said* I was no good at trig! *grin*

Harvey
Posted to rec.woodworking
charlie b

RicodJour wrote:

Not to ruffle your feathers, CB, but the Chinese solution is a hell of
a lot simpler than yours.

Feathers hell! I want hair! Though driving The Little White Car
(Miata convertible) is always fun - I'd sure like to add the
feeling of the wind in my hair. On the other hand, I'm more
aero dynamic - which, with current gas prices - $3.399 for
regular unlead out here in the SF Bay Area - has its advantages.

The Chinese Solution #1 is definitely not simpler - since
it involves rounding over the corner AND the top edges of
the horizontal parts. And if you round over the top edges
of the horizontal parts you should round over the bottom
edges as well. That would require rounding over the inside
edges of the "leg" as well.

Them Chinese furniture makers are a crafty (pun intended)
clever lot. (see my subsequent posting
D'ja ever REALLY study a nice piece of furniture?

Fun stuff this woodworking thing.

charlie b