Posted to rec.woodworking
Jimmy

Default Linear foot??

What is a linear foot? Say you want to buy some wood, rough cut 2" thick
(don't know the width) at, say, $7 a linear foot. What amount of wood would
( a woodchuck, etc.) I get in a foot and how much would it cost?

Thanx

Posted to rec.woodworking
P.T.

On Thu, 25 May 2006 08:28:14 +0000, Jimmy wrote:

What is a linear foot? Say you want to buy some wood, rough cut 2" thick
(don't know the width) at, say, $7 a linear foot. What amount of wood would
( a woodchuck, etc.) I get in a foot and how much would it cost?

Thanx

A linear foot is a one foot measurement(length) for the wood in question.
How much wood you are getting depends on the thickness and width of the
wood. You would have to figure how many board feet there is in the linear
foot to determine how much the cost per board foot is. Board foot = Width
x thickness x length. So if your 2" thick wood was 12" wide, you would
have 2 board feet in a linear foot, which = #3.50 a board foot.

P.T.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"Jimmy" wrote in message
What is a linear foot?

12 inches of whatever it is you're buying, sausages or tubafours.

What amount of wood would ( a woodchuck, etc.) I get in a foot

As with sausages or tubafours, 12 inches of whatever it is you're buying.

and how much would it cost?

Multiply the cost per linear foot times the number of linear feet you're
buying, sausages or tubafours.

FWIW, construction framing lumber is generally sold by the linear foot.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/6/06

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

"Jimmy" wrote in message
. com...
What is a linear foot? Say you want to buy some wood, rough cut 2" thick
(don't know the width) at, say, $7 a linear foot. What amount of wood

would
( a woodchuck, etc.) I get in a foot and how much would it cost?

Thanx

Linear footage is priced based on a particular dimension. For example - 1X6
@ $X per linear foot. How much will you get? Simple math. You cannot
associate linear pricing with board foot pricing without speaking about a
specific board dimension.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
henry

I have always purchased rough lumber by the board foot and dressed
lumber by the linear foot. Is that not true in other parts of the
country?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"henry" wrote in message
I have always purchased rough lumber by the board foot and dressed
lumber by the linear foot. Is that not true in other parts of the
country?

Pretty much ... but instead of saying "dressed", I would say "dimensioned",
which term may be regional in itself.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/6/06

Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller

In article . com, "henry" wrote:
I have always purchased rough lumber by the board foot and dressed
lumber by the linear foot. Is that not true in other parts of the
country?

Pretty much the case in my part of the country (Indianapolis) -- but we have
one hardwood dealer not too far from here who prices his rough lumber by the
linear foot: so much per foot for a 6" wide board of a given species, so much
more per foot for an 8" board, etc. Weird. But it does avoid the need to train
employees to use board-foot rules, which probably reduces the error rate in
pricing.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tim Taylor

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. com...
In article . com, "henry"
wrote:
I have always purchased rough lumber by the board foot and dressed
lumber by the linear foot. Is that not true in other parts of the
country?

Pretty much the case in my part of the country (Indianapolis) -- but we
have
one hardwood dealer not too far from here who prices his rough lumber by
the
linear foot: so much per foot for a 6" wide board of a given species, so
much
more per foot for an 8" board, etc. Weird. But it does avoid the need to
train
employees to use board-foot rules, which probably reduces the error rate
in
pricing.

--
Regards,

Where's this dealer located? I was just up there (Indy) last night. Got
caught up in the storm!

Posted to rec.woodworking
Pop

Linear foot:
-- Not to be confused with square foot, board foot, or any other
"foot"
-- Twelve inches of whatever is being sold by the "linear" foot,
regardless of width, thickness. Obviously the price varies with
whatever it being sold.

Jimmy wrote:
What is a linear foot? Say you want to buy some wood, rough cut
2"
thick (don't know the width) at, say, $7 a linear foot. What
amount
of wood would ( a woodchuck, etc.) I get in a foot and how much
would
it cost?
Thanx

Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller

wrote:
I have always purchased rough lumber by the board foot and dressed
lumber by the linear foot. Is that not true in other parts of the
country?

Pretty much the case in my part of the country (Indianapolis) -- but we have
one hardwood dealer not too far from here who prices his rough lumber by the
linear foot: so much per foot for a 6" wide board of a given species, so much
more per foot for an 8" board, etc. Weird. But it does avoid the need to train
employees to use board-foot rules, which probably reduces the error rate in
pricing.

Where's this dealer located? I was just up there (Indy) last night. Got
caught up in the storm!

It's Hollingsworth Lumber in Russiaville (pronounced roosh-ya-vill), a few
miles west of Kokomo. Great place -- good selection of quality lumber, helpful
staff, great prices. I live on the NW side of Indy, and it's about a 45- to
50-minute drive for me, and well worth it if I'm buying a large load.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tim Taylor

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. com...
In article , "Tim Taylor"
wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
y.com...
In article . com,
"henry"
wrote:
[...]

Good deal! I'm up that way quite a bit for my job. I do Kokomo quite often
so I'll make some time to check it out. Do they do any quantity? No semi or
anything like that, I'm talking small quantities, 50 or so feet???

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article ,
"Jimmy" wrote:

What is a linear foot? Say you want to buy some wood, rough cut 2" thick
(don't know the width) at, say, $7 a linear foot. What amount of wood would
( a woodchuck, etc.) I get in a foot and how much would it cost?

Thanx

Errrrrmmm... you can buy yarn by the linear foot. Conversely, you can
buy a concrete driveway by the linear foot.
Liquorice laces.
Shoe laces.
All kinda stuff by the foot.

*S*

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob Martin

in 1297247 20060525 123919 "henry" wrote:
I have always purchased rough lumber by the board foot and dressed
lumber by the linear foot. Is that not true in other parts of the
country?

my yard (UK) prices wood by the cubic metre - oak is about £1300
Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"Bob Martin" wrote in message
in 1297247 20060525 123919 "henry" wrote:
I have always purchased rough lumber by the board foot and dressed
lumber by the linear foot. Is that not true in other parts of the
country?

my yard (UK) prices wood by the cubic metre - oak is about £1300

Six bucks a BF? Hope it's the highest grade.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller

In article , "Tim Taylor" wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
.com...

It's Hollingsworth Lumber in Russiaville (pronounced roosh-ya-vill), a few
miles west of Kokomo. Great place -- good selection of quality lumber,
helpful staff, great prices. I live on the NW side of Indy, and it's about a 45-
to 50-minute drive for me, and well worth it if I'm buying a large load.

Good deal! I'm up that way quite a bit for my job. I do Kokomo quite often
so I'll make some time to check it out. Do they do any quantity? No semi or
anything like that, I'm talking small quantities, 50 or so feet???

They'll sell you as much, or as little, as you want. A real bonus is their
"shorts" racks: offcuts less than 6 feet long. The shorter the piece, the
lower the price _per_board_foot_. I built this piece entirely out of pieces
from their shorts pile (except for the plywood shelf & back), at a cost of
somewhere around $2/BF:
http://www.milmac.com/Furniture/WalnutNightstand.JPG

The place is on State Road 29, about five miles west of US 31.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tim Taylor

wrote:

[...]

Alrighty then, next time I'm up that way I'll make it a point to stop in
there. I did take some time out the other day coming back from Terre Haute
on the way to Connersville to stop in the Rockler store up there. It's the
first time I had ever been in there, man what a place!
Thanks for the info, and the nightstand looks really good! Next to cherry,
walnut rules!

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob Martin

in 1297378 20060526 111449 "George" George@least wrote:
"Bob Martin" wrote in message
in 1297247 20060525 123919 "henry" wrote:
I have always purchased rough lumber by the board foot and dressed
lumber by the linear foot. Is that not true in other parts of the
country?

my yard (UK) prices wood by the cubic metre - oak is about £1300

Six bucks a BF? Hope it's the highest grade.

Pardon? £1300 is over 2400 USD. It's Croatian White Oak.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Payne

"Bob Martin" wrote in message
my yard (UK) prices wood by the cubic metre - oak is about £1300

Six bucks a BF? Hope it's the highest grade.

Pardon? £1300 is over 2400 USD. It's Croatian White Oak.

And there's 424 BF per cubic meter.
Posted to rec.woodworking

You asked 1) 'What is a 'linear foot'' 2) 'how much wood would you
would get' and 3) 'how much would it cost.'

1) A linear foot is the length of the piece that you are getting. The
reading on your tape measure.

2) As far as 'how much' or the volume of the wood. For a 1 foot long
piece of 2" thick by 12" wide lumber; you would get 2 board feet. A
board foot is a measurement of volume equal to 1 foot of 1"x12" lumber.
By looking at the price per bf you can figure how much your going to
spend for whatever volume of wood that you need.

Using the example above; at $7 per linear foot of 2" x 12" translates
into $3.50 per boardfoot (bf). ($7 / 2bf = $3.50/bf)

Now lets say that you change your project. Using that same cost for bf
($3.50 per bf). For this example project lets say that you need 10 feet
of 3"x6".
That is 15 bf (10 x (3x6)/12)
Your total cost is $52.50. (15bf x $3.50/bf)
The price per linear foot on that lumber is $5.25 ($52.50 / 10ft)

3) It cost $7 times the reading on your tape measure.

Hope that helps.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Jimmy wrote:
What is a linear foot? Say you want to buy some wood, rough cut 2" thick
(don't know the width) at, say, $7 a linear foot. What amount of wood would
( a woodchuck, etc.) I get in a foot and how much would it cost?

Thanx

You would get 1 a one foot long board, rough cut to 2" thick, with a
width you don't know, and it would cost $7 (plus tax)

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Posted to rec.woodworking
Cappy

I pay about 700 Euros per cubic metre here in France for 12 year dried
oak suitable for cabinet making (rough cut though). 1300 pounds is
pretty steep

Rory

"Bob Martin" wrote in message
in 1297247 20060525 123919 "henry" wrote:
I have always purchased rough lumber by the board foot and dressed
lumber by the linear foot. Is that not true in other parts of the
country?

my yard (UK) prices wood by the cubic metre - oak is about £1300

Six bucks a BF? Hope it's the highest grade.

Pardon? £1300 is over 2400 USD. It's Croatian White Oak.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob Martin

in 1297517 20060527 121633 "Cappy" wrote:
I pay about 700 Euros per cubic metre here in France for 12 year dried
oak suitable for cabinet making (rough cut though). 1300 pounds is
pretty steep

Rory

I'll be on the shuttle next time I need some!
700 Euros seems cheap even by US standards.