Posted to rec.woodworking
Stephen M

Default mantelpiece design

I vote for the top one, though I can't put my finger on why.

FWIW, option 1 creates the illusion of a longer mantle, option 2 creates the
illusion of a taller mantle.

-Steve

"Fzak!" wrote in message
I'm recovering an old painted brick fireplace with wood.

Stage one is the mantelpiece and I'm wondering about the design. If I
had to pick a style I guess I'd say "Arts and Crafts" though I'm no
design expert ... hence my question.

I'm looking at which way to place the trim and where to
overlap/join/mitre meet at the corners.

I'm wondering what looks more pleasing to the eye since, after drawing
it too many times, I've lost all perspective on what is the usual way
of doing things (if there is one).

If you have a moment, have a look here at the possibles:

http://www.comicshop.ca/mantel.html

and give me your opinions.

Thanks.