Posted to rec.woodworking
Rick

Default Compressor nailer quesiton

I have been thinking about getting one of those 6 gallon compressor nailer
combos (Porter Cable or Bostitch) for some wooodworking projects but I was
wondering if you can run a framing nailer off one. I do some carpentry
work every now and then with decks and fences and some remodeling. The
associate at the Depot did not know but pointed out that a framing nailer
was not pictured on the display tag. The framing nailers I looked at
mentioned a range (80 - 125 PSI), which both compressors provide, but did
not give a SCFM.

Will a 6 gallon compressor work with a framing nailer for light to moderate
use?

Thanks
Posted to rec.woodworking
B A R R Y

Rick wrote:
I have been thinking about getting one of those 6 gallon compressor nailer

---SNIP---

Will a 6 gallon compressor work with a framing nailer for light to moderate
use?

I have the same compressor, and I'd say you'll be fine for occasional
use. I've run a large Porta-Nails 421 flooring nailer (the one that
fires "horseshoe nails") with it with no issues or complaints.

If you're planning on doing it on a regular basis, I'd get a bigger
compressor.
Posted to rec.woodworking
DAC

In short yes.

However you need to do your research and of course the web can be a
wonderful source ;-) I have a
http://www.porter-cable.com/index.asp?e=547&p=4797 and it will run
any nailer I throw at it. Look for a rating of SCFM (Standard Cubic
Feet per Minute), and compare that to what your nailer requires.
Amazon is a great place to read some reviews once you settle on a brand
or price.

Best of luck to you!

DAC

Posted to rec.woodworking
RayV

check the wreck back a few days. I remeber somebody posting a deal on
a bostitch combo-kit better than any PC price.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Edwin Pawlowski

"Rick" wrote in message
7...
The
associate at the Depot did not know but pointed out that a framing nailer
was not pictured on the display tag.

The last car I bought did not have bags of groceries shown in the trunk, but
I manage to do it anyway.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Rick" wrote in message
7...
I have been thinking about getting one of those 6 gallon compressor nailer
combos (Porter Cable or Bostitch) for some wooodworking projects but I was
wondering if you can run a framing nailer off one. I do some carpentry
work every now and then with decks and fences and some remodeling. The
associate at the Depot did not know but pointed out that a framing nailer
was not pictured on the display tag. The framing nailers I looked at
mentioned a range (80 - 125 PSI), which both compressors provide, but did
not give a SCFM.

Will a 6 gallon compressor work with a framing nailer for light to
moderate
use?

Thanks

Absolutely. These sized compressors were basically make for nailers.
Typically nail guns are very low volume but high pressure users.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Griz

Hi Rick:

You'd wear it out in quite short order with any regular use of this type.

For occasional use only like this I'd say.

Also, you'll drive yourself bloody insane from the virtually constant cycling
of the comp. going off every fourth or so nail far sooner !

They just are not 'horsey' enough for this application.

I advise you to consider renting a larger one for this or similar task(s).

Warmly, Griz

"
"Will a 6 gallon compressor work with a framing nailer for light to moderate
"use?
"
"Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

Rick wrote:
snip

Will a 6 gallon compressor work with a framing nailer for light to moderate
use?

Thanks

I built a 16x30 raised-foundation shed with that exact (PC) compressor
this week, using a framing gun, finish nailer and roofing nailer. Oh,
topped off some tires, too. Somebody else was right about the little
thing running its heart out, though. These sorts of projects are not
something I do regularly, so my thought is that it won't shorten the
life of my compressor all that much.

Good luck.

-Phil Crow

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Griz" wrote in message
Hi Rick:

You'd wear it out in quite short order with any regular use of this type.

For occasional use only like this I'd say.

Also, you'll drive yourself bloody insane from the virtually constant
cycling
of the comp. going off every fourth or so nail far sooner !

They just are not 'horsey' enough for this application.

I advise you to consider renting a larger one for this or similar task(s).

Um what kind of nailer are you using that you only get 3 or 4 nails out of a
6 gallon compressor???

With a "3" gallon compressor easily get 30 to 4060 nails out of a finish
nailer and 15-20 or so out of a framing nailer. 4 to 5 out of a palm
nailer.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Edwin Pawlowski

"Leon" wrote in message

With a "3" gallon compressor easily get 30 to 4060 nails out of a finish
nailer

Yeah, but if you have to drive 4062 nails you have to wait until it comes up
to pressure again.

Posted to rec.woodworking
IBM5081

Get at least a 2 h.p. motor on these portable compressors - takes about
15 seconds to top off the tank once it starts. A smaller motor will
take about 30 seconds. That's a long time if the nailer leaves nails
standing out while the pressure is below what the nailer needs to sink
the nail flush.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote in message

With a "3" gallon compressor easily get 30 to 4060 nails out of a finish
nailer

Yeah, but if you have to drive 4062 nails you have to wait until it comes
up to pressure again.

If I drive 4062 nails I have to take a break anyway. :-)

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking
gw

Yeah, but if you have to drive 4062 nails you have to wait until it comes
up to pressure again.

If I drive 4062 nails I have to take a break anyway. :-)

Max

To let the glue dry? ; )

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Leon" wrote in message

With a "3" gallon compressor easily get 30 to 4060 nails out of a finish
nailer

Yeah, but if you have to drive 4062 nails you have to wait until it comes
up to pressure again.

YEAH!!! shoulda been 40

Posted to rec.woodworking
Griz

To All:

I didn't say you couldn't do it, merely that you should not on a regular basis
as it is very hard on a machine meant for light to medium duty with very
occasional use otherwise.

I have three compressors. One of which is the PC spoken of, and after
it 'spits' four or so nails (of the 'framing' size) it cycles on to 'top off'
as said. and after a dozen or two cycles, given it being as loud as it is, I
was pulling my hair out !

So I got the beefier one (60 gal. upright).

Also, I have a PC 'pancake' (a gift) and as an acquaintance from NYC
would say: "Fagettaboudit !"

Merely passing along my personal experience(s).

Warmly, Griz