Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"R.H." wrote in message
.. .
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Default What is it? CXV

Shoot.

A grinder of some sort and a snuff box- other than that, I'm hosed.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Leon

"R.H." wrote in message
.. .
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

669. Nut Cracker Drop a nut in to the wide end and twist both ends.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Bill B

All are just WAGS

666 Drill bit sharpener

667 Snuff or medicine box

668 Some kind of electrical tool, crimper/stripper?

669 HugieWatzit

670 Tree climber

671 Stool for a ????

--
Bill Berglin

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid
in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly
proclaiming, 'WOW! What A RIDE!!" ... Unknown
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Christopher Tidy

Leon wrote:
"R.H." wrote in message
.. .

The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

669. Nut Cracker Drop a nut in to the wide end and twist both ends.

If that's a nut cracker, it's pretty neat.

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

On 2006-05-18, Christopher Tidy ranted thusly:
Leon wrote:
"R.H." wrote in message

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

669. Nut Cracker Drop a nut in to the wide end and twist both ends.

If that's a nut cracker, it's pretty neat.

Mine's much cuter. Softer, too.

er
--
email not valid

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Mark Brader

668. For punching a hole in the side of a hose or thin-walled pipe.
--
Mark Brader | "In my youth", said the sage, as he shook his grey locks,
Toronto | "I kept all my verbs very supple
| By the use of these smileys -- one shilling a box --
| Allow me to sell you a couple?" --John Dean (after Carroll)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
DoN. Nichols

According to R.H. :
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

As usual -- posting from rec.crafts.metalworking:

666) At a guess -- a pencil sharpener. The curved arms are blades
which shave wood and pencil "lead" off one size, and the crank
which rotates the blades is also geared to rotate the pencil as
it is shaved.

The drawer is to catch the shavings, and to be emptied from time
to time.

And -- you've given it a devilish number, too. :-)

667) Hmm ... container for something to nibble (perhaps Sen-Sens or
similar -- or perhaps to hold flints for cigarette lighters?

668) If it were not for the date, I would consider it to be likely
to be a terminal crimper of some sort. It looks as though it is
designed to puncture something once gripped (perhaps a hose or
a coaxial cable), or to cut the center conductor on a cable.

It seems to be designed to grip something smaller as well.

But no real idea as to what it is for.

669) Hmm ... some kind of massage device?

670) A preparation tool for patching tubeless tires, and perhaps
inner tubes as well?

The tapered ribbed part for cleaning the original puncture in
the tread of a tire.

The roughened "paddle" for preparing the surface for a patch.

671) A parking brake for a wagon? The long horizontal at the
bottom is placed under the wheel so it rolls up onto that
and the braced upright prevents rolling once the wheel is in
contact.

Now to see what others have guessed.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Sam Soltan

667 is a cutter/punch and crimper for round leather or rubber belts. A
"staple" is put in the punched holes and crimped down.

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
According to R.H. :
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

Most of them have been answered correctly so far:

666. I'm still waiting on an email from the owner to tell me what it is, I
thought it might be an old coffee grinder.

667. Matchsafe

668. Haven't yet been able to verify what this tool is for.

669. Nut cracker

670. Tire repair tool

671. Single runner sled

One new photo and a few links have been posted on the answer page:

http://pzphotoans117-m.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Wilson

On Fri, 19 May 2006 22:00:39 +0000, R.H. wrote:

Most of them have been answered correctly so far:

666. I'm still waiting on an email from the owner to tell me what it is, I
thought it might be an old coffee grinder.

667. Matchsafe

668. Haven't yet been able to verify what this tool is for.

669. Nut cracker

670. Tire repair tool

670. Hand held "Marlin Spike" for manipulating wire rope to splice,
or braid an eye in the end. Sometimes called a "fid".

671. Single runner sled

One new photo and a few links have been posted on the answer page:

http://pzphotoans117-m.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

670. Tire repair tool

670. Hand held "Marlin Spike" for manipulating wire rope to splice,
or braid an eye in the end. Sometimes called a "fid".

I still think that it's a tire repair tool, mostly based on the larger end
with the file on it, I did a search on marlin spikes and found some he

http://home.new.rr.com/theys/

If you find any fids that look like my tool, let me know.

-----

Just heard from the owner of number 666 (hope he isn't superstitious about
that number), those who said it was a pencil sharpener are correct.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

On 2006-05-19, ranted thusly:
On 2006-05-18, Christopher Tidy ranted thusly:
Leon wrote:
"R.H." wrote in message

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

669. Nut Cracker Drop a nut in to the wide end and twist both ends.

If that's a nut cracker, it's pretty neat.

Mine's much cuter. Softer, too.

That's no way for a man of the cloth to talk...

Hey, you sound like my nutcracker.

er
--
email not valid

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Oleg Lego

The R.H. entity posted thusly:

http://home.new.rr.com/theys/

If you find any fids that look like my tool, let me know.

Say what???

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

"Oleg Lego" wrote in message
news
The R.H. entity posted thusly:

http://home.new.rr.com/theys/

If you find any fids that look like my tool, let me know.

Say what???

lol, I guess I could have phrased that better:

If you find any marlin spikes that look like my tire repair tool, let me
know.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Brian Lawson

On Sat, 20 May 2006 10:27:57 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

"Oleg Lego" wrote in message
news
The R.H. entity posted thusly:

http://home.new.rr.com/theys/

If you find any fids that look like my tool, let me know.

Say what???

lol, I guess I could have phrased that better:

If you find any marlin spikes that look like my tire repair tool, let me
know.

Rob

Hey Rob,

There is quite a difference between a fid and a marlin-spike, albeit a
marlin-spike is handy to have too if you are using a fid. Vice versa
is not true though, and there might be some bad thing happen if you
used a fid in place of a marlin-spike.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Wild Bill

Some historical info pertaining to Schollhorn and Bernard
http://www.rostratool.com/historical.asp

Schollhorn made many different types of hand tools, even some
office/paper fastening tools. Some additional info on these vintage
tools here
http://www.geocities.com/typewriterexchange/web06.html

WB

I'm fairly certain that the name of Bernard's and the patent
dates are related to the grips/handles/plier set.
I have several different tools which are a combination of the Bernard's
grips, but they have other names on the working parts (some are really
old, some are fairly recent).
All of the ones I've seen using Bernard's grips have the same
functional operation utilizing the compound-action, parallel jaw tools,
although they have different specific uses.
The name of Schollhorn Co would be related to the working part of the
tool.

RCM
WB

R.H. wrote:
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

"Wild Bill" wrote in message
oups.com...
Some historical info pertaining to Schollhorn and Bernard
http://www.rostratool.com/historical.asp

Thanks, that's a great link, I took a look at their plier pictorial pdf
document, the one that looked closest to mine was the "round belt punch
pliers", number 115:

http://www.rostratool.com/pdf/PlierPictorial.pdf

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

If you find any marlin spikes that look like my tire repair tool, let me
know.

http://home.new.rr.com/theys/

Rob

Hey Rob,

There is quite a difference between a fid and a marlin-spike, albeit a
marlin-spike is handy to have too if you are using a fid. Vice versa
is not true though, and there might be some bad thing happen if you
used a fid in place of a marlin-spike.

What's the difference? The first sentence in the marlin spike link that I
posted seems to imply they are the same thing.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Sam Soltan

I have a pair. and yes they are used for round belting... I have used them
on 35mm motion picture projectors. I am a member of I.A.T.S.E.

"R.H." wrote in message
.. .

"Wild Bill" wrote in message
oups.com...
Some historical info pertaining to Schollhorn and Bernard
http://www.rostratool.com/historical.asp

Thanks, that's a great link, I took a look at their plier pictorial pdf
document, the one that looked closest to mine was the "round belt punch
pliers", number 115:

http://www.rostratool.com/pdf/PlierPictorial.pdf

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

"Sam Soltan" samsoltan_48323atyahoodotcom wrote in message
. ..
I have a pair. and yes they are used for round belting... I have used them
on 35mm motion picture projectors. I am a member of I.A.T.S.E.

A couple of questions:

Is the hole created by your pair also slit shaped?

Why exactly are the round belts punched with holes?

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
R.H. wrote:

"Sam Soltan" samsoltan_48323atyahoodotcom wrote in message
I have a pair. and yes they are used for round belting... I have used them
on 35mm motion picture projectors. I am a member of I.A.T.S.E.

A couple of questions:

Is the hole created by your pair also slit shaped?

Why exactly are the round belts punched with holes?

round belts are punched with holes to put 'staples' in, to hold the ends
together. Think "cut to fit", from bulk stock.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

"Robert Bonomi" wrote in message
In article ,
R.H. wrote:

"Sam Soltan" samsoltan_48323atyahoodotcom wrote in message
I have a pair. and yes they are used for round belting... I have used

them
on 35mm motion picture projectors. I am a member of I.A.T.S.E.

A couple of questions:

Is the hole created by your pair also slit shaped?

Why exactly are the round belts punched with holes?

round belts are punched with holes to put 'staples' in, to hold the ends
together. Think "cut to fit", from bulk stock.

Thanks, I should have re-read Sam's first post in this thread before asking,
looks like he had it right from the start.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Smaug Ichorfang

I've been tracing the patents on this item. The first patent date, May 6,
1890, is for patent #427220, parallel jawed pliers made from sheet metal
with rivited joints and hinges. Still tracing later dates but pat2pdf has
had problems over the weekend.

"R.H." wrote in
:

R.H. wrote:

"Sam Soltan" samsoltan_48323atyahoodotcom wrote in message
I have a pair. and yes they are used for round belting... I have
used

them
on 35mm motion picture projectors. I am a member of I.A.T.S.E.

A couple of questions:

Is the hole created by your pair also slit shaped?

Why exactly are the round belts punched with holes?

round belts are punched with holes to put 'staples' in, to hold the
ends together. Think "cut to fit", from bulk stock.

Thanks, I should have re-read Sam's first post in this thread before
asking, looks like he had it right from the start.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

"Smaug Ichorfang" wrote in message
I've been tracing the patents on this item. The first patent date, May 6,
1890, is for patent #427220, parallel jawed pliers made from sheet metal
with rivited joints and hinges. Still tracing later dates but pat2pdf has
had problems over the weekend.

Thanks, if you happen to find the patent for the punch on this tool, I'd be
interested to see it.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Smaug Ichorfang

"R.H." wrote in
:

"Smaug Ichorfang" wrote in message
I've been tracing the patents on this item. The first patent date,
May 6, 1890, is for patent #427220, parallel jawed pliers made from
sheet metal with rivited joints and hinges. Still tracing later
dates but pat2pdf has had problems over the weekend.

Thanks, if you happen to find the patent for the punch on this tool,
I'd be interested to see it.

Rob

I don't know if any of the dates given actually relate to a punch. The
first and last dates (the only ones I've found) are for the method of
making pliers and tool handles from sheet metal. The last date refers to
patent #1064956.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
HDRDTD

Some time ago I ran across a very similar set of pliers among my fathers old
tools.

The jaws opened parallel, and appeared to have a round punch, etc...

I can't seem to find it right now, but I do remember that it had the name
'Singer' on it, possibly with some other numbers.

After asking many freinds, we seemed to think it may have bee some sort of
drive belt repair tool for old Singer sewing machines.?

.. .