Posted to rec.woodworking
noonenparticular

Default dust collector, wash 1 micron felt bags or not?

I am in the process of packing up my shop for an upcoming move and i've now
made it to the corner that the dust collector owns.

I rarely take the bottom bag off due to the pre-separator and I've never
taken the top bag off.

However, I've taken them both down now, emptied the collector and *cough,
cough* was wondering if this might be a good time to wash them (especially
since it'll be in the washer that I'm leaving behind) ?

The bags are the 1 micron felt variety that comes standard (or at least they
did when I bought mine) with the Penn State collectors.

Any advice or experience would be appreciated.

Weathering the onslought,

JC

Posted to rec.woodworking
BobS

"noonenparticular" wrote in message
. com...
I am in the process of packing up my shop for an upcoming move and i've now
made it to the corner that the dust collector owns.

I rarely take the bottom bag off due to the pre-separator and I've never
taken the top bag off.

However, I've taken them both down now, emptied the collector and *cough,
cough* was wondering if this might be a good time to wash them (especially
since it'll be in the washer that I'm leaving behind) ?

The bags are the 1 micron felt variety that comes standard (or at least
they did when I bought mine) with the Penn State collectors.

Any advice or experience would be appreciated.

Weathering the onslought,

JC

All that I've ever read stated *not* to wash them - vacuum only.

Bob S.

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom

Do not wash. Wrap and transport. Onslaught over. Enjoy. Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"noonenparticular" wrote in message
. com...
I am in the process of packing up my shop for an upcoming move and i've now
made it to the corner that the dust collector owns.

I rarely take the bottom bag off due to the pre-separator and I've never
taken the top bag off.

However, I've taken them both down now, emptied the collector and *cough,
cough* was wondering if this might be a good time to wash them (especially
since it'll be in the washer that I'm leaving behind) ?

The bags are the 1 micron felt variety that comes standard (or at least
they did when I bought mine) with the Penn State collectors.

Any advice or experience would be appreciated.

These are non-woven, and will make mounds and mounds of lint if you try.
Take a look at the filter material made by your dryer to get a rough idea of
the process of felting. Then they will shrink, improving the filter
capability, but greatly diminishing the surface area and airflow.

Vacuum or blow air in reverse, standing well upwind in a force seven gale!

Posted to rec.woodworking
noonenparticular

Thanks everyone for the advice. The bags are now packed in an over-sized
ziploc bag and will remain unwashed.

Yeah, I top-posted, but I'm replying to myself!

jc