Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy R

Default What is this toy called and where can I get plans?

I'm looking for plans to make a toy for my grandchildren but I don't know what the toy is called. Maybe someone out there can help.

If you have ever seen a movie called "Witness", it's the toy Harrison Fords character builds for the little boy. It is an arrangement of ramps that allow marbles to roll down to a bell at the bottom.

Any help finding a plan for this type of toy would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Roy R wrote:
I'm looking for plans to make a toy for my grandchildren but I don't know what the toy is called. Maybe someone out there can help.

If you have ever seen a movie called "Witness", it's the toy Harrison Fords character builds for the little boy. It is an arrangement of ramps that allow marbles to roll down to a bell at the bottom.

Any help finding a plan for this type of toy would be appreciated.
Thanks.

I recall Nahrm making one for _The New Yankee Workshop_.
They ahoud have a measured drawering available.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bruce Hodge

Here a link that has some marble machines. You may be able to come up with
your own design by using the concepts as explained by Matthias Wandel.

http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/marbles/index.html

"Roy R" wrote in message
I'm looking for plans to make a toy for my grandchildren but I don't know
what the toy is called. Maybe someone out there can help.

If you have ever seen a movie called "Witness", it's the toy Harrison
Fords character builds for the little boy. It is an arrangement of ramps
that allow marbles to roll down to a bell at the bottom.

Any help finding a plan for this type of toy would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 17:00:41 GMT, "Roy R"
wrote:

I'm looking for plans to make a toy for my grandchildren but I don't know what the toy is called. Maybe someone out there can help.

If you have ever seen a movie called "Witness", it's the toy Harrison Fords character builds for the little boy. It is an arrangement of ramps that allow marbles to roll down to a bell at the bottom.

Any help finding a plan for this type of toy would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Not sure if this is it as I did not see the movie.
I just Googled ......*marbels, bell, plans*

http://www.woodcraftplans.com/fsbmt.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe

wrote:

I'm looking for plans to make a toy for my grandchildren but I don't know what the toy is called. Maybe someone out there can help.

If you have ever seen a movie called "Witness", it's the toy Harrison Fords character builds for the little boy. It is an arrangement of ramps that allow marbles to roll down to a bell at the bottom.

Any help finding a plan for this type of toy would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Not sure if this is it as I did not see the movie.
I just Googled ......*marbels, bell, plans*

http://www.woodcraftplans.com/fsbmt.htm

No...what I Googled was.....*marbles*.....
Posted to rec.woodworking
Leuf

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 13:07:05 -0500, "Bruce Hodge"
wrote:

Here a link that has some marble machines. You may be able to come up with
your own design by using the concepts as explained by Matthias Wandel.

http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/marbles/index.html

Damn you.

That great sucking noise you hear is not from a gloat, it's from the
loss of all productivity this summer while I fool around with that.

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking
C & E

"Jack Casuso" wrote in message

Try Cherry Tree Toys, they have several designs

snip

Why not try cobbling together a design of your own and have a little fun
with it? It can't be too hard. The one downside I see to forums and groups
is that it makes us lazy - me included. It's just easier to ask than to
think it out for yourself. Yea, I hate to make stupid mistakes because I
overlooked some little issue but we just keep on sacrificing personal
satisfaction and ingenuity. I really beating up on myself here. No offense
intended to anyone at all. Just spouting off.

Posted to rec.woodworking
jd

yep. you wouldn't believe the amount of time I spent designing a marble lift
that was basically two large disks with baskets on the edges. One disk is
mounted above the other. the bottom disc scoops up a marble from a resevoir
(the feed mechanism was fun too). At the top of the first disc, the marble
is scooped into a basket on the second disc, and carried to the top and
released into a set of tracks.

I love playing with kinetic sculpture... Now if only there was away to maek
money with it...

-_JD

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
Leuf (in ) said:

| Damn you.
|
| That great sucking noise you hear is not from a gloat, it's from the
| loss of all productivity this summer while I fool around with that.

It does look like a lot of fun.

I was sitting here thinking about how to machine a four-cylinder
marble pump (to be fed with three flip-flop gates divvying up the
marbles) when your post showed up. g

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking
Fly-by-Night CC

In article Z265g.9022$Un3.375@trnddc05,
"Roy R" wrote:

If you have ever seen a movie called "Witness", it's the toy Harrison Fords
character builds for the little boy. It is an arrangement of ramps that allow
marbles to roll down to a bell at the bottom.

I believe they're officially known as a "Marble Roll".
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the
Corporate States of America and to the
Republicans for which it stands, one nation,
under debt, easily divisible, with liberty
and justice for oil."
- Wiley Miller, Non Sequitur, 1/24/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
Pat Barber

Marble Roll

http://www.newyankee.com/getproduct3.cgi?606

Roy R wrote:

I'm looking for plans to make a toy for my grandchildren but I don't know what the toy is called. Maybe someone out there can help.

If you have ever seen a movie called "Witness", it's the toy Harrison Fords character builds for the little boy. It is an arrangement of ramps that allow marbles to roll down to a bell at the bottom.

Any help finding a plan for this type of toy would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Gordon Airporte

Leuf wrote:

That great sucking noise you hear is not from a gloat, it's from the
loss of all productivity this summer while I fool around with that.

And you can lose more productivity by watching some of these videos:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...panese&pl=true
These do not use wood exclusively, but they feature some nice mechanisms
that you might want to reproduce.
Or just check out all google videos that result from a search for 'Rube
Goldberg'(many of which rely heavily on marbles.)
http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=rube+goldberg
Posted to rec.woodworking
O D

We make a toy that I think you are talking about for schools. It is
about 24"wide By 2" ? Marble rolls down one chute drops in a hole rolls
down the next chute drops in hole etc for about 5 trips. I can see if we
have plans or if we just make it from patterns . Teachers call them or
use them for eye movement training.
This is not a commercial shop. We give this stuff away to teachers who
request it. We are a retired community woodworking shop called sawdust
engineers. And yup if ya want the dust we can give you all you want. So
I am sure we can give you some info IF this is what you are looking for.
You can email me so I can get some infor to send to you.