Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

Default Two questions about raw walnut wood

1) To make the wood more manageable, I split off all the sapwood before
taking it to the bandsaw. Some of it is in nice little rectangles that
wouldn't be much trouble to cut up. They would be small and require gluing
to get anything useable. Is it worthwhile; is the sapwood any good? If
not, does it make good firewood; does it rot quickly or is it stable? I
have all the firewood I need for a few years, but I don't like the idea of
it going in a landfill.

2) Several of the pieces I cut are quartersawn, and are quite pretty. I
have never seen QS walnut at retail. Is there a reason for that?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Scott Lurndal

"Toller" writes:
1) To make the wood more manageable, I split off all the sapwood before
taking it to the bandsaw. Some of it is in nice little rectangles that
wouldn't be much trouble to cut up. They would be small and require gluing
to get anything useable. Is it worthwhile; is the sapwood any good? If
not, does it make good firewood; does it rot quickly or is it stable? I
have all the firewood I need for a few years, but I don't like the idea of
it going in a landfill.

Primary diff between sapwood and heartwood is color. Commercial walnut
is steamed to blend the heart and sapwoods.

2) Several of the pieces I cut are quartersawn, and are quite pretty. I
have never seen QS walnut at retail. Is there a reason for that?

It's available retail. Bought some recently at Jackel in Watsonville.

scott
Posted to rec.woodworking

Toller wrote:
1) To make the wood more manageable, I split off all the sapwood before
taking it to the bandsaw. Some of it is in nice little rectangles that
wouldn't be much trouble to cut up. They would be small and require gluing
to get anything useable. Is it worthwhile; is the sapwood any good? If
not, does it make good firewood; does it rot quickly or is it stable? I
have all the firewood I need for a few years, but I don't like the idea of
it going in a landfill.

It is good wood. If you don't stain it, use linsed oil on it, or use
any other finish that darkens with age it will get lighter with age.

So you might consider using for something like a chessboard or
chess pieces, knobs, candlesticks or what not.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

wrote in message
ups.com...

Toller wrote:
1) To make the wood more manageable, I split off all the sapwood before
taking it to the bandsaw. Some of it is in nice little rectangles that
wouldn't be much trouble to cut up. They would be small and require
gluing
to get anything useable. Is it worthwhile; is the sapwood any good? If
not, does it make good firewood; does it rot quickly or is it stable? I
have all the firewood I need for a few years, but I don't like the idea
of
it going in a landfill.

It is good wood. If you don't stain it, use linsed oil on it, or use
any other finish that darkens with age it will get lighter with age.

So you might consider using for something like a chessboard or
chess pieces, knobs, candlesticks or what not.

Well, I cut up about 10bf of it; the rest was too narrow. We will see what
it looks like in a year. Thanks.