Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve W

Default Is it ok to cover some of the TS openings for dust collection?

I have a Delta hybrid TS and am trying to get by with a shop-vac for dust
collection. Not ideal, I know, but space is tight and I am not sawing huge
volumes of wood. When I run the vacuum, I don't feel much air drawn though
the throatplate as there are many openings in the saw. The largest is at
the top of the hinged cover on the cabinet near the motor. Would partially
covering that opening cause problems such as overheating the motor?

Even though I don't feel much air coming through the throatplate, dust
collection is surprisingly good as is. I have some dado cuts coming up and
suspect controlling airflow will reduce the mess.

-Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

You are kidding yourself to use a shop vac for dust collection under
the deck of a table saw. There is nothing you can do that will make up
for the vacuum's lack of air volume capacity for dust collection. A
table saw needs higher volume movement for dust collection.
Applications like router table fences and drill presses are low volume
applications and work well with a vacuum.

Some people with hybrid saws ust block the dust collection port and
open the cabinet frequently to vacuum out the dust collected in the
cabinet between uses.

Bob

Posted to rec.woodworking
RayV

Here is a visual of the 'cyclone' I use.

http://www.woodworkingmatters.com/Re...yclone_lid.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking
hylourgos

Steve W wrote:
I have a Delta hybrid TS and am trying to get by with a shop-vac for dust
collection. Not ideal, I know, but space is tight and I am not sawing huge
volumes of wood. When I run the vacuum, I don't feel much air drawn though
the throatplate as there are many openings in the saw. The largest is at
the top of the hinged cover on the cabinet near the motor. Would partially
covering that opening cause problems such as overheating the motor?

Even though I don't feel much air coming through the throatplate, dust
collection is surprisingly good as is. I have some dado cuts coming up and
suspect controlling airflow will reduce the mess.

-Steve

Theoretically you can. A TS simply does not produce that much sawdust,
so a (decent sized) shop vac is more than adequate--*provided that* the
TS dust space is well designed. Shop vacs cannot move much volume, so
you have to isolate as small a space around the blade as possible to go
directly to the vac.

Look at Ryobi's BT3K series to see great design for that. Granted,
that's a small TS--not a cabinet saw, or even a hybrid--but the amount
of sawdust it produces is the same as any cabinet saw (unless you're
shoving an inch deep dado blade through as fast as you can, which a
cabinet saw could probably handle but might stall a portable). So
theoretically you can.

The difficulty is the guts under the table and how they're configured.
Most cabinet saws have large trunnions and motors etc., so it's hard to
isolate the space around the blade to be small enough for a shopvac to
handle, without getting really innovative with flexible
materials.There's no harm in trying though, and I see all sorts of
"tips" in WW magazines about how to close up that space for better dust
collection.

Thermal stress on a inside a TS cabinet should not be a factor, I would
think, with a TEFC motor, but the electricians on board can tell you
more about that.

Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve W

"RayV" wrote in message
oups.com...
Here is a visual of the 'cyclone' I use.

http://www.woodworkingmatters.com/Re...yclone_lid.htm

Nice. I have been looking for one of those.

-Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve W

"hylourgos" wrote in message
oups.com...

Steve W wrote:
[...]

Thanks. I will try covering the large one to start. It just seems to me
that the engineers probably made that big opening for a reason. Do you
think it is designed to allow enough flow for a dust collection system?

-Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve W

"Steve W" wrote in message
. net...

"hylourgos" wrote in message
oups.com...

Steve W wrote:
[...]

Nevermind. I figured out why the hole is there when I set up a bevel cut -
motor clearance. I covered the space, and now dust collection and air flow
are pretty good.

-Steve

Wall/Cavity ventilation brick and cover galaxi UK diy 9 November 16th 05 09:13 PM
Insulating pocket door openings??? Roy Starrin Home Repair 4 November 15th 05 02:51 PM
Full cover or pergola on patio Alex Home Repair 1 May 31st 04 05:44 AM
Garage Floor Cover PJ Home Repair 3 April 3rd 04 02:53 AM
Inground Pool cover AG Home Repair 0 July 30th 03 02:11 AM