Posted to rec.woodworking
Tim Taylor

Default What would you do

What would you all do if someone gave you a touch over 200 feet of hickory?
What can/would you make out of it? I've never used it before. But, I know
what I'll do with the 400 and some feet of walnut they're giving me though!
Entertainment center from hell! BTW, this is all dried, been in a barn
covered up for well over 5 years, and none thinner than 5/4. Gloat maybe???

--
"Cartoons don't have any deep meaning.
Homer Simpson

Jerry© The Phoneman®

Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve

Tim Taylor wrote:
What would you all do if someone gave you a touch over 200 feet of hickory?
What can/would you make out of it? I've never used it before. But, I know
what I'll do with the 400 and some feet of walnut they're giving me though!
Entertainment center from hell! BTW, this is all dried, been in a barn
covered up for well over 5 years, and none thinner than 5/4. Gloat maybe???

It's totally useless. I will dispose of it for you. The walnut
too--it's been contaminated by that hickory. :-)

We hates you forever!

--Steve
Posted to rec.woodworking
leonard

you suck

len

Posted to rec.woodworking
jo4hn

Tim Taylor wrote:
What would you all do if someone gave you a touch over 200 feet of hickory?
What can/would you make out of it? I've never used it before. But, I know
what I'll do with the 400 and some feet of walnut they're giving me though!
Entertainment center from hell! BTW, this is all dried, been in a barn
covered up for well over 5 years, and none thinner than 5/4. Gloat maybe???

Old Hickory? I would probably run for president.
1829-1837,
jo4hn
Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

"Tim Taylor" wrote in message
What would you all do if someone gave you a touch over 200 feet of
hickory? What can/would you make out of it? I've never used it before.
But, I know what I'll do with the 400 and some feet of walnut they're
giving me though! Entertainment center from hell! BTW, this is all dried,
been in a barn covered up for well over 5 years, and none thinner than
5/4. Gloat maybe???

"Gloat maybe???" ya think? You suck.

Anyhow, hickory is not a good wood to work. It is very hard and brittle.
Cutting and routing are both an ordeal. Use it for something that doesn't
require a lot of work. It is a reasonably pretty wood though, and very
strong.

My wife is looking for some very plain cabinets with shelves for the
basement. Hickory would be a good choice for that.
I made the first one out of walnut I got at auction for $1/bf. It was
pretty crappy with many defects, but I manage to hide most of them.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

Tim Taylor wrote:
What would you all do if someone gave you a touch over 200 feet of hickory?
What can/would you make out of it? I've never used it before. But, I know
what I'll do with the 400 and some feet of walnut they're giving me though!
Entertainment center from hell! BTW, this is all dried, been in a barn
covered up for well over 5 years, and none thinner than 5/4. Gloat maybe???

More proof this ng's gone to heck.

You suck, too.

er
--
email not valid
Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH

"Toller" wrote in message

Anyhow, hickory is not a good wood to work. It is very hard and

brittle.
Cutting and routing are both an ordeal.

Pine it's not but those have not been my experiences with hickory...

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa

"Tim Taylor" wrote in message
What would you all do if someone gave you a touch over 200 feet of
hickory? What can/would you make out of it? I've never used it before.
But, I know what I'll do with the 400 and some feet of walnut they're
giving me though! Entertainment center from hell! BTW, this is all dried,
been in a barn covered up for well over 5 years, and none thinner than
5/4. Gloat maybe???

--

Work bench? Cabinets? eBay?

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 01:32:09 GMT, "Tim Taylor" wrote:

What would you all do if someone gave you a touch over 200 feet of hickory?
What can/would you make out of it? I've never used it before. But, I know
what I'll do with the 400 and some feet of walnut they're giving me though!
Entertainment center from hell! BTW, this is all dried, been in a barn
covered up for well over 5 years, and none thinner than 5/4. Gloat maybe???

You mean after I was done kissing their feet and blessing their ancestors? *g*

I'd sell the hickory and play with the walnut...

BTW: you suck big-time..
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.woodworking
Robert Bonomi

In article s4A3g.917956$x96.870245@attbi_s72,
Tim Taylor wrote:
What would you all do if someone gave you a touch over 200 feet of hickory?
What can/would you make out of it?

If you live near a fair size body of water, you could use it for the surface
of a small quay that you tie your power-boat up at.

Yup! a Hickery dockery deck.

*groan*

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robert Bonomi

Default Re[2]: What would you do

Tim Taylor wrote:
What would you all do if someone gave you a touch over 200 feet of hickory?

Me? what would _I_ do? I'm a *greedy* SOB. I'd ask "got any more?"

*snicker*

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike O.

wrote:

What would you all do if someone gave you a touch over 200 feet of hickory?
What can/would you make out of it? I've never used it before.

If you had asked me that 7 or 8 years ago, after the first house I
trimmed with hickory, I would have told you to put it in a big pile
and light it!g
We've done a few more homes with hickory since then and it just takes
some patience to work it. It's almost as hard as cherry but has a
much more wild grain which makes joining and planing a challenge. It's
hard on knives, blades and cutters too but you just can't get in a
hurry with it. You can use it just as you would any hardwood.
It makes a great looking hardwood floor when finished natural.

Mike O.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Tim Taylor

"Tim Taylor" wrote in message
What would you all do if someone gave you a touch over 200 feet of
hickory? What can/would you make out of it? I've never used it before.
But, I know what I'll do with the 400 and some feet of walnut they're
giving me though! Entertainment center from hell! BTW, this is all dried,
been in a barn covered up for well over 5 years, and none thinner than
5/4. Gloat maybe???

Ok, thanks for the input everybody. It was all good, and most of it funny!
I'm off this afternoon to pick it all up. I'm sure I'll figure out what to
do with it.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max

"dadiOH" wrote in message

"Toller" wrote in message

Anyhow, hickory is not a good wood to work. It is very hard and

brittle.
Cutting and routing are both an ordeal.

Pine it's not but those have not been my experiences with hickory...

dadiOH

Mine neither. I would drive quite a ways to pick up a free load of hickory.
Even with gas prices being what they are.
It makes good looking kitchen cabinets.

Max