Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

Default The Laguna Band Saw arrived

Well it was like Christmas today. I have been waiting for my Christmas
present since the middle of November. Two band saws later I have a LT16HD
setting in my garage. I tried an 18" Rikon but it was not what I was
looking for.
Anyway the saw arrived today and was pallet jacked into my garage. It's
heavy and built like a tank. It was bolted to a skid and covered with a
card board box and banded. No visible signs of damage and all was well
after removing all of the packaging. I ordered this saw with the Laguna
mobility kit which works like a charm and with its wheeled lift and steering
bar I can see it being used to move more equipment around the shop. Like
many saws I had to mount the table and it was heavy, 60 to 80 lbs would be
my guess. I also had to mound the motor, the 4.5 TEFC Baldor motor. Also
heavy, my guess is 80+ lbs. The motor is 14" long not including the shaft
and pulley and 10" wide at its widest point. I had to remove it and clock
it 180 degrees after noticing that I would never be able to get to its
grease fittings if left mounted like the picture indicated. Of course the
table had to be removed again to aid with aligning the motor mounting bolts.
It is certainly a two man job to mound that motor both times. :~) The
table was wrapped in plastic and was the only piece covered in goo that
needed to be cleaned. Upon closer inspection I noticed that the lower guide
ceramic thrust bearing was missing. I looked every where for the missing
piece and finally discovered that the brake micro switch was not actually as
large as I had previously thought. Next to the micro switch and setting on
the brake bar was the ceramic thrust bearing. Whew.
Tomorrow I have to get a 10-3 power cord to attach to the terminal at the
back of the saw and fire it up.
I'll post some pictures on a.p.b.w.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I feel like I should be loading up some logs to bring over for a resaw,
Leon. Congrats, I hope it is everything you wanted.

I have read a lot about how little we use our bandsaws here compared to
overseas.
Some of my service buddies that have been overseas that have snooped
around to find some wood shops reported back there is a real lack of
table saws; they are few and far bewtween.

But they do have the super quality saws like you just got, and they
tune the daylights out of them and purchase a few really good blades.
They were really surprised to see how many operations they actually did
on quality bandsaws.

One of them told me that most of the shops he went into simply didn't
have the room for a tablesaws.

Can't wait to hear how the new big boy works out for you.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Richardson

Top posted to aggravate Laguna band saw owners only:

Sigh, I have been contemplating (lusting) a bandsaw as my next logical
purchase. Man - that thing looks soooooo pretty, I woudl probably buy it
just to be able to look at it longingly, in person.

Really look forward to your testing - next best thing to be able to run it
myself! :-)

Oh, Leon, did it get delivered to your PO box?

pffft.

"Leon" wrote in message
. com...
Well it was like Christmas today. I have been waiting for my Christmas
present since the middle of November. Two band saws later I have a LT16HD
setting in my garage. I tried an 18" Rikon but it was not what I was
looking for.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"Leon" wrote in message
Well it was like Christmas today.

I'll post some pictures on a.p.b.w.

Congratulations, finally!

That motor is BIG ... when I see the lights dim over here today I'll know
you fired it up. (BTW, you have more patience than me ... I wouldn't have
gone to bed until I'd made some sawdust, someway, somehow, even if it meant
bringing the hamster out of retirement)

Next step - we need to get Robert to drive in from San Antonio with some
mesquite logs and have a christening.

.... and when you're ready to see how many revolutions that thing can make
Iturra's "Blade Gage" spin, let me know.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

wrote in message
ups.com...
I feel like I should be loading up some logs to bring over for a resaw,
Leon. Congrats, I hope it is everything you wanted.

I have read a lot about how little we use our bandsaws here compared to
overseas.
Some of my service buddies that have been overseas that have snooped
around to find some wood shops reported back there is a real lack of
table saws; they are few and far bewtween.

I have been some what suprised to learn that in many cases the band saw is
chosen over the table saw for normal every day ripping.

But they do have the super quality saws like you just got, and they
tune the daylights out of them and purchase a few really good blades.
They were really surprised to see how many operations they actually did
on quality bandsaws.

One of them told me that most of the shops he went into simply didn't
have the room for a tablesaws.

Can't wait to hear how the new big boy works out for you.

I'll report back asap.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Mike Richardson" wrote in message
news
Top posted to aggravate Laguna band saw owners only:

:~)

Sigh, I have been contemplating (lusting) a bandsaw as my next logical
purchase. Man - that thing looks soooooo pretty, I woudl probably buy it
just to be able to look at it longingly, in person.

I have been using/storing an old 12" Craftsman since the early 80's and
simply tried not to use it. I am hoping that this saw will be more user
freindly. I was very interested in the ceramic guides and their ease of
adjustment from a, how do I get to the adjustment screws, point of view.
Before getting hte Laguna I had purchased for a shor time the 18" Rokon. I
do not like the roller guides at all. Not a poke at Rikon but the roller
guide system in general. There are no mobing parts on the 10 point Laguna
guides.

Really look forward to your testing - next best thing to be able to run it
myself! :-)

Oh, Leon, did it get delivered to your PO box?

Nope, it was delivered to the C.A.R. box. :~)

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Swingman" wrote in message

Congratulations, finally!

That motor is BIG ... when I see the lights dim over here today I'll know
you fired it up. (BTW, you have more patience than me ... I wouldn't have
gone to bed until I'd made some sawdust, someway, somehow, even if it
meant
bringing the hamster out of retirement)

After waiting 5 months, whats another day or two? LOL Besides, in
yesterdays 90+ degree heat and having to mount the motor and table 2 times I
was pretty much worn out. Normally I would have thought that a bit wussy
but my 18 year old son was as tired as I was.

Next step - we need to get Robert to drive in from San Antonio with some
mesquite logs and have a christening..

YEAH...!!!!!!!!!!!! Robert?? are you listening??? HUH? We can use
the smaller pieces to smoke the brisket.

... and when you're ready to see how many revolutions that thing can make
Iturra's "Blade Gage" spin, let me know.

I'll locate the cheater bar. :~)

Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Leon wrote:

[...]

kinda puts my new pinner to shame...

Have fun! and watch your fingers.

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa

"Leon"
I have been some what suprised to learn that in many cases the band saw is
chosen over the table saw for normal every day ripping.

I use my 16" to rip the stuff that tends to get twisty and narly. Its much
easier and safer. I'm sure you will love it. I keep a 1" 3tpi blade in it
almost full time. I use my older 16" Delta three wheeler with 1/8" blade
for the small cuts.

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Teamcasa" wrote in message

"Leon"
I have been some what suprised to learn that in many cases the band saw
is chosen over the table saw for normal every day ripping.

I use my 16" to rip the stuff that tends to get twisty and narly. Its
much easier and safer. I'm sure you will love it. I keep a 1" 3tpi
blade in it almost full time. I use my older 16" Delta three wheeler with
1/8" blade for the small cuts.

I have about 15 bf of warped oak left over from an initial 250 bf. That
small stack has been waiting on this saw.

Posted to rec.woodworking
stoutman

You suck! I mean, congratulations!

--
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking
Raterman

Leon--
I will be interested in how precise the Laguna resaws. I have the 16SE
which is 3 years old. I dont think its available now but it was the model
between the 16 and the 16HD. I have never been able to get it to cut
straight on anything over 3 inches thick. Ive spent hours tuning it with
little success. Keep me posted on the details of your tuneup.

Ben
"Leon" wrote in message
. com...

"Teamcasa" wrote in message

"Leon"
I have been some what suprised to learn that in many cases the band saw
is chosen over the table saw for normal every day ripping.

I use my 16" to rip the stuff that tends to get twisty and narly. Its
much easier and safer. I'm sure you will love it. I keep a 1" 3tpi
blade in it almost full time. I use my older 16" Delta three wheeler
with 1/8" blade for the small cuts.

I have about 15 bf of warped oak left over from an initial 250 bf. That
small stack has been waiting on this saw.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article ,
"Leon" wrote:

Well it was like Christmas today.

Never mind the bull...put that beast to work..*G*

Use it in good health, Leon.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Robatoy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Leon" wrote:

Well it was like Christmas today.

Never mind the bull...put that beast to work..*G*

Use it in good health, Leon.

Thank you Robatoy. I have already made several pieces of "fire starter" and
a pointy stick and.... a little bit of test resawing. I'm gunna keep it for
sure.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"stoutman" .@. wrote in message
. ..
You suck! I mean, congratulations!

No, you suck, I mean THANK YOU. I love the saw so far.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Raterman" wrote in message
Leon--
I will be interested in how precise the Laguna resaws. I have the 16SE
which is 3 years old. I dont think its available now but it was the model
between the 16 and the 16HD. I have never been able to get it to cut
straight on anything over 3 inches thick. Ive spent hours tuning it with
little success. Keep me posted on the details of your tuneup.

Ben

You betcha Ben. Check my new post titled,
The new Laguna LT16HD part 2

Laguna Owners DVD Leon Woodworking 14 April 9th 06 05:31 PM
Laguna vs MiniMax, a persion observation. Leon Woodworking 26 April 4th 06 10:50 AM
Laguna Tools for Canadians? Buster Woodworking 9 September 7th 05 06:46 AM
Laguna TSS Tablesaw Never Enough Money Woodworking 9 April 1st 05 02:56 PM
Laguna Bandsaws brandt Woodworking 18 September 19th 04 12:34 PM