Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cutting wood shapes, which bit to use?

Can someone tell me what bit I should be using for my router to cut out
wood shapes from 3/4" hard maple? I am tacking a template on the top
of the 3/4" maple and then following the edge of the template with the
router bit....on a router table. The bit I have been using is causing
the wood to really jump and it's just not working.

Thank you!

II

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dan

wrote in message
oups.com...
Can someone tell me what bit I should be using for my router to cut out
wood shapes from 3/4" hard maple? I am tacking a template on the top
of the 3/4" maple and then following the edge of the template with the
router bit....on a router table. The bit I have been using is causing
the wood to really jump and it's just not working.

Thank you!

II

What the others have said (especially cutting 1/16" or less to the
template) also make sure the RPMS are set as high as a appropiate for the
bit you're using. To low will casue grabbing of the work

Posted to rec.woodworking
stoutman

wrote in message
oups.com...
Can someone tell me what bit I should be using for my router to cut out
wood shapes from 3/4" hard maple? I am tacking a template on the top
of the 3/4" maple and then following the edge of the template with the
router bit....on a router table. The bit I have been using is causing
the wood to really jump and it's just not working.

Thank you!

II

I am not sure how you are referencing off of the template on the router
table. Are you using a guide bushing and straight bit?

I would not do it this way. I would trace the template onto the maple then
using a bandsaw or a jig saw (or by hand) cut out the shape staying a 1/16"
off the line. Then attach the template using carpet tape and then use a
Flush Trim bit to finish off the shape.

--
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

wrote in message
oups.com...
Can someone tell me what bit I should be using for my router to cut out
wood shapes from 3/4" hard maple? I am tacking a template on the top
of the 3/4" maple and then following the edge of the template with the
router bit....on a router table. The bit I have been using is causing
the wood to really jump and it's just not working.

Thank you!

II

You would probably better off cutting the rough shape close to the template
and then use the template and a flush cutting bit to fine tune the cut.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve

Morris Dovey wrote:
(in
) said:

| Can someone tell me what bit I should be using for my router to cut
| out wood shapes from 3/4" hard maple? I am tacking a template on
| the top of the 3/4" maple and then following the edge of the
| template with the router bit....on a router table. The bit I have
| been using is causing the wood to really jump and it's just not
| working.

The "jumping" may indicate that the bit isn't adequately sharp.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Other possibilities:

1) Router is not powerful enough
2) Trying to take off too much material in a single pass
3) Router is cheap one with plastic motor housing - not rigid enough

Or a combination of these.

Maple is very hard stuff, so you've got to take it slow, and don't try
to take too much wood off in a single pass - the 1/16" suggested by
another poster is about right.

--Steve
Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Drackman

wrote in message
oups.com...
Can someone tell me what bit I should be using for my router to cut out
wood shapes from 3/4" hard maple? I am tacking a template on the top
of the 3/4" maple and then following the edge of the template with the
router bit....on a router table. The bit I have been using is causing
the wood to really jump and it's just not working.

Thank you!

II

How much woodworking experience do you have?

Are you roughing out the shape before using the template, or are you trying
to use the template like a cookie cutter on rolled out dough?

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have very little woodworking experience guys (about 3 years) and ALL
of it is with fishing lures. I have cut out a couple thousands lures
on a band saw and rounded off the edges of each lure with a router. I
am using a variable speed Craftsman Router that I bought from Sears for
about 150 dollars.

The last time I tried to cut the lures out with the router I was
trying to cut straight into the wood stock without removing any extra
wood. The bit cut but it was far from smooth, large chunks of wood were
flying, not a smooth cut at all, it was spooky! Here is a picture of
the bit I was trying to use...is this the right bit?

http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...=routerbit.jpg

thanks again!

II

Posted to rec.woodworking
Upscale

wrote in message

The last time I tried to cut the lures out with the router I was
trying to cut straight into the wood stock without removing any extra
wood. The bit cut but it was far from smooth, large chunks of wood were
flying, not a smooth cut at all, it was spooky! Here is a picture of
the bit I was trying to use...is this the right bit?

http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...=routerbit.jpg

That router bit is for trimming or cutting thin stock from a template. I
don't know how thick the wood was that you are using for your lures, but
that bit is not designed for heavy stock removal. If big chunks of wood are
flying, then you're trying to cut too much at once. At the worst you're
looking at breaking the carbide and seriously injuring yourself. At the very
least, it's highly likely you'll damage the bit an make it unusable.

Don't feed the wood into the bit so heavily. Ideally, you'd use a heavier
bit to cut away most of the waste and then use a finer bit like the one you
have to trim the wood to final size.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Drackman

"Upscale" wrote in message
wrote in message

[...]

Sounds like good advice

Posted to rec.woodworking

So is this the bit I should be using then?

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops.../bt_solid.html

thx again

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

That would help but is not really a solution. A router is not a saw. It was
originally conceived as a trimmer and is best used as such. Remove most of
the stock with a saw, then finish with a router.
wrote in message
ups.com...
So is this the bit I should be using then?

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops.../bt_solid.html

thx again

Posted to rec.woodworking
Art Greenberg

#7399 on that page.

--
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thank you.

Posted to rec.woodworking
RM MS

either not fast enough rpm's or too much excess stock. Probably latter.
Feed it slow. Expect burn marks in maple even under ideal circumstances.
Also, a sanded surface will dull a cutter almost immediately because of
embedded abrasive particles.