Posted to rec.woodworking
DamnYankee

Default I need a LONG 3/8 straight router bit

The SOSS hinges and template that I just purchased call for a router
bit that is 3/8 in cutting diameter and 3 3/4 inches long. The longest
I can find is 3 inches. I'm sure I could probably not set it as deep
but I don't know how safe that would be. I tried calling SOSS today
but they are closed until Monday. Anybody here know who makes an extra
long router bit?

Bryan

Posted to rec.woodworking
Unquestionably Confused

DamnYankee wrote:
The SOSS hinges and template that I just purchased call for a router
bit that is 3/8 in cutting diameter and 3 3/4 inches long. The longest
I can find is 3 inches. I'm sure I could probably not set it as deep
but I don't know how safe that would be. I tried calling SOSS today
but they are closed until Monday. Anybody here know who makes an extra
long router bit?

Bryan

And I need a couple of shoe boxes filled with $20 bills, but I can get
by withoutg

Take a look at the hinge you have and track its movement. I have a pair
of a smaller SOSS hidden hinge and seem to recall that you could likely
get by simply by drilling out the majority of the mortise using a 3/8"
drill, clean up a bit with a chisel and then do the final routing of the
mortise with the router.

Again, I'm certain that this would work with the smaller SOSS hinge that
I have and one would never know the difference until you removed the
hinge and examined the mortise.

I'd certainly try it this way before I seated that 3" router bit at the
very tip and crossed my fingers. That sounds like one of those deals
where you later hear the victim say.. "You know, I had this feeling
that..." or, alternatively is preceded with the phrase, "Hey! Watch
this!"g

Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey

DamnYankee (in )
said:

| The SOSS hinges and template that I just purchased call for a router
| bit that is 3/8 in cutting diameter and 3 3/4 inches long. The
| longest I can find is 3 inches. I'm sure I could probably not set
| it as deep but I don't know how safe that would be. I tried
| calling SOSS today but they are closed until Monday. Anybody here
| know who makes an extra long router bit?

Bryan...

Visit
www.kbctools.com and look up their part number 1-3242-017 - it's
a 3/8" x 4"OAL with a 2" flute length carbide end mill that they list
for $25.88

Two lines below that is a 3/8" x 6"OAL with a 3" flute length for
$37.67

I've used mills from this Niagra Cutter series in a CNC router with
good results - and KBC has been a good supplier.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking
Gooey TARBALLS

1-3242-017 3/8X2X4 USA 2 FLUTE LONG CARBIDE END MILL (55351) $32.93
169

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
DamnYankee (in )
said:

| The SOSS hinges and template that I just purchased call for a router
| bit that is 3/8 in cutting diameter and 3 3/4 inches long. The
| longest I can find is 3 inches. I'm sure I could probably not set
| it as deep but I don't know how safe that would be. I tried
| calling SOSS today but they are closed until Monday. Anybody here
| know who makes an extra long router bit?

Bryan...

Visit
www.kbctools.com and look up their part number 1-3242-017 - it's
a 3/8" x 4"OAL with a 2" flute length carbide end mill that they list
for $25.88

Two lines below that is a 3/8" x 6"OAL with a 3" flute length for
$37.67

I've used mills from this Niagra Cutter series in a CNC router with
good results - and KBC has been a good supplier.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tim Douglass

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 21:31:13 -0500, "Morris Dovey"
wrote:

DamnYankee (in )
said:

| The SOSS hinges and template that I just purchased call for a router
| bit that is 3/8 in cutting diameter and 3 3/4 inches long. The
| longest I can find is 3 inches. I'm sure I could probably not set
| it as deep but I don't know how safe that would be. I tried
| calling SOSS today but they are closed until Monday. Anybody here
| know who makes an extra long router bit?

Bryan...

Visit
www.kbctools.com and look up their part number 1-3242-017 - it's
a 3/8" x 4"OAL with a 2" flute length carbide end mill that they list
for $25.88

Two lines below that is a 3/8" x 6"OAL with a 3" flute length for
$37.67

I've used mills from this Niagra Cutter series in a CNC router with
good results - and KBC has been a good supplier.

How much do you have to slow that down? I'd be a bit worried about
flex in a 4" - 3/8 bit.

--
"We need to make a sacrifice to the gods, find me a young virgin... oh, and bring something to kill"

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey

Tim Douglass (in ) said:

| On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 21:31:13 -0500, "Morris Dovey"
| wrote:
|
|| Visit
www.kbctools.com and look up their part number 1-3242-017 -
|| it's a 3/8" x 4"OAL with a 2" flute length carbide end mill that
|| they list for $25.88
|| Two lines below that is a 3/8" x 6"OAL with a 3" flute length for
|| $37.67
|| I've used mills from this Niagra Cutter series in a CNC router with
|| good results - and KBC has been a good supplier.
|
| How much do you have to slow that down? I'd be a bit worried about
| flex in a 4" - 3/8 bit.

I wouldn't slow it down at all - but then, I wouldn't use it in other
than a CNC environment either. It's worth remembering that these end
mills are designed and fabricated to cut metals using a nice solid
milling machine. They do a first class job of routing wood and (at
least some) plastics as well.

My sense is that the feed (how fast the bit moves through the
workpiece) and speed (how fast the bit is rotated) that works best in
a given material for a "short" bit is the same as that for a "long"
bit; and that every material has a feed/speed "sweet spot" where
smoothness of cut, chip size, etc all seem to come out right. My CNC
router is so quiet that I can tell just by listening when feed and
speed are right for the material. I strongly suspect that it's much
the same in metalworking (CW?)

Even a 4" x 3/8" carbide bit shouldn't flex much (at least not much in
woodworking terms). My concern would be for smooth, even feed because
small (tilt type) irregularities in router motion will produce larger
irregularities at the end of a 4" or 6" shaft.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking
DamnYankee

Morris,

Thank you! I don't know how many "Googles" I have done but alas I was
looking for router bits and never thought about CNC tools. This is
exactly what I need. Any idea if they carry a sleeve so this will fit
in my 1/2 inch router chuck? MLCS carrys them but it's only a 4 dollar
item and I'll pay more than that for shipping.

Thanks again.

Bryan

Posted to rec.woodworking
DamnYankee

Any idea if this collet will fit my Freud 2000 router? Freud doesn't
make a 3/8 collet (at least not that I can find).

Thanks

Bryan