Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Oak or maple Cabinets

Hello,

We have recently bought a house and we are in the process of picking up
the kitchen cabinets , bathroom cabinets .....we are confused about
which wood cabinets to pick....Maple or oak ?...Please suggest which
wood is good and stays long .

Appreciate it.
Binky

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

wrote in message
Hello,

We have recently bought a house and we are in the process of picking up
the kitchen cabinets , bathroom cabinets .....we are confused about
which wood cabinets to pick....Maple or oak ?...Please suggest which
wood is good and stays long .

There is basically no functional reason to pick one over the other. Since
they're probably all veneers, why not cherry?

IOW ... it boils down to a matter of taste ... which grain looks good to
you, in the color that your wife wants.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
Josh

They're both good woods that will last a long time. I would suggest
you simply go to Home Depot and have a look at their oak and maple
cabinets. Pick whichever one you like better.

In my experience, maple is a little more expensive, but personally I
think it looks better.

wrote:
Hello,

We have recently bought a house and we are in the process of picking up
the kitchen cabinets , bathroom cabinets .....we are confused about
which wood cabinets to pick....Maple or oak ?...Please suggest which
wood is good and stays long .

Appreciate it.
Binky

Posted to rec.woodworking
Clint

My personal opinion, which is all you're going to get in here... Well, you
won't just get mine, but everyone else's personal opinions...

Anyway, I dislike oak, and would go with maple or cherry, depending on if
you want light or dark. Of course, even with those choices, it's the stain
that will determine how light or dark everything is.

And of course, our house has oak cabinets, and oak-style laminate floors...
*sigh*

Clint

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

We have recently bought a house and we are in the process of picking up
the kitchen cabinets , bathroom cabinets .....we are confused about
which wood cabinets to pick....Maple or oak ?...Please suggest which
wood is good and stays long .

Appreciate it.
Binky

Posted to rec.woodworking
george

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

We have recently bought a house and we are in the process of picking up
the kitchen cabinets , bathroom cabinets .....we are confused about
which wood cabinets to pick....Maple or oak ?...Please suggest which
wood is good and stays long .

Appreciate it.
Binky

The only non-aesthetic reason I can think of for choosing one over the other
is IF you intend to have a matching hardwood floor...maple flooring shrinks
and swells (a LOT) and I've never seen it available as quartersawn...however
oak flooring can be had quartersawn and is about the most stable wood
flooring material available. I've had both (in different homes) and am
totally suffering with maple flooring now (though it does great as a
cabinet).

George

Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Drackman

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

We have recently bought a house and we are in the process of picking up
the kitchen cabinets , bathroom cabinets .....we are confused about
which wood cabinets to pick....Maple or oak ?...Please suggest which
wood is good and stays long .

Appreciate it.
Binky

This is purely a personal preference. Which wood do you like the look of
more? I use maple is situations where I am concerned that the room might
look too dark and cherry where I think the room is a bit too bright.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bronwyn Mitchell

I prefer the look of oak to maple. Simply, because of the open pore look.
The contrasting colours look really beautiful. Nothing like the usually
woods I work with which are maple and cherry.

oups.com...

wrote:
Hello,

We have recently bought a house and we are in the process of picking up
the kitchen cabinets , bathroom cabinets .....we are confused about
which wood cabinets to pick....Maple or oak ?...Please suggest which
wood is good and stays long .

Appreciate it.
Binky

Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Drackman

"Bronwyn Mitchell" wrote in message
.. .
I prefer the look of oak to maple. Simply, because of the open pore look.
The contrasting colours look really beautiful. Nothing like the usually
woods I work with which are maple and cherry.

Different tastes for different people. I use cherry and maple almost
exclusively and really dislike the look of oak. I have turned down work
because the customer wanted oak.

Staining maple for amateurs Josh Woodworking 18 June 15th 05 04:14 PM
How to hang cabinets on a curved wall? Ken Miller Woodworking 1 August 21st 04 08:52 PM
Kitchen: Maple Cabinets, Read Oak floor--what color granite?? Wood master Home Ownership 1 October 3rd 03 09:18 PM
mapled out Mike in Mystic Woodworking 11 August 30th 03 09:21 PM
Cabinets, Let the buyer beware Clifford Keele Home Repair 18 June 25th 03 04:40 PM