Posted to rec.woodworking
Art Greenberg

Default Looking for large "oval edge" bit

I'm looking for an "oval edge" router bit with a bead length of 2 inches.
Similar to this bit:

http://www.pricecutter.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_P14-3218

With the "B" dimension at 2 inches. I've been unable to find any bit like this
larger than 1.5 inches.

Roundover isn't quite what I'm looking for. This is a true oval profile.

I don't think a custom bit would be worthwhile; this is for a single
application, and I don't expect to need this profile again.

Anyone know of a stock cutter (or two) that will do this?

Thanks!

--
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lobby Dosser

Art Greenberg wrote:

I'm looking for an "oval edge" router bit with a bead length of 2
inches. Similar to this bit:

http://www.pricecutter.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_P14-3218

With the "B" dimension at 2 inches. I've been unable to find any bit
like this larger than 1.5 inches.

Roundover isn't quite what I'm looking for. This is a true oval
profile.

I don't think a custom bit would be worthwhile; this is for a single
application, and I don't expect to need this profile again.

Anyone know of a stock cutter (or two) that will do this?

Thanks!

How about two passes? See 'Furniture Bit' on this page:

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...thtml/pages/bt
_frenc.html
Posted to rec.woodworking
Art Greenberg

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 10:33:35 GMT, Lobby Dosser wrote:

How about two passes? See 'Furniture Bit' on this page:

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...thtml/pages/bt
_frenc.html

Yes! Thanks, that looks like it will be perfect.

--
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking
Pat Barber

These folks make more than anybody I'm aware of:

http://www.freudtools.com/woodworker...traight_1.html

Art Greenberg wrote:

I'm looking for an "oval edge" router bit with a bead length of 2 inches.
Similar to this bit:

http://www.pricecutter.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_P14-3218

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lobby Dosser

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...marthtml/pages
/bt
_frenc.html

Yes! Thanks, that looks like it will be perfect.

Good! Maybe you could post results?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Stephen M

"Art Greenberg" wrote in message
news
I'm looking for an "oval edge" router bit with a bead length of 2 inches.
Similar to this bit:

Have you consider ripping facets with a table saw, then sanding them smooth?
What I often do for a thumbnail profile in 1" stock is use my 3/4" radius
round-over bit to put a bit of a curve on the edge leaving a bit of a flat
for the pilot bearing to ride on. After I follow that with some random-orbit
sanding, you can't tell that it is not a continuous curve.

-Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking
Art Greenberg

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 10:08:07 -0400, Stephen M wrote:

Have you consider ripping facets with a table saw, then sanding them
smooth? What I often do for a thumbnail profile in 1" stock is use my
3/4" radius round-over bit to put a bit of a curve on the edge leaving a
bit of a flat for the pilot bearing to ride on. After I follow that with
some random-orbit sanding, you can't tell that it is not a continuous
curve.

-Steve

Can't use the table saw in this case. The edge I want to shape is curved.

I've considered using a round-over in the manner you describe, but that's not
quite the profile I want.

--
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking
Art Greenberg

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 22:22:29 GMT, Lobby Dosser wrote:

Good! Maybe you could post results?

I do have a website with some photos of the work in progress. Check
out:

http://www.artg.tv/fireplace-mantel-pix.html

This past weekend I resawed the maple for the front, and completed most of the
shaping of the wenge top. I need the oval cutter for the front edge of the
wenge. I took some photos of that work, but I have not yet added them to the
website.

I'll add more photos as I make progress.

--
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking
Charley

You are probably looking for a "thumb nail" bit. Try looking through a
router bit catalog or searching the web for that shape and see if it's what
you want. It's like a round over, but not a linear curve.

--
Charley

"Art Greenberg" wrote in message
ink.net...
On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 10:08:07 -0400, Stephen M wrote:

Have you consider ripping facets with a table saw, then sanding them
smooth? What I often do for a thumbnail profile in 1" stock is use my
3/4" radius round-over bit to put a bit of a curve on the edge leaving

bit of a flat for the pilot bearing to ride on. After I follow that

with
some random-orbit sanding, you can't tell that it is not a continuous
curve.

-Steve

Can't use the table saw in this case. The edge I want to shape is curved.

I've considered using a round-over in the manner you describe, but that's

not
quite the profile I want.

--
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking
Art Greenberg

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 21:21:00 GMT, Charley wrote:
You are probably looking for a "thumb nail" bit. Try looking through a
router bit catalog or searching the web for that shape and see if it's what
you want. It's like a round over, but not a linear curve.

Thanks. Close, but not quite there. The thumbnail bit would cut a shape
similar to what I want. But I want that shape on the edge, in the same manner
as a bullnose would be applied. The thumbnail bit is designed to put that
shape on the top surface of a table, for example. It would not be practical to
use it to apply the edge treatment I'm looking for, especially since others
have pointed me to more viable atlernatives.

--
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lobby Dosser

Art Greenberg wrote:

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 22:22:29 GMT, Lobby Dosser wrote:

Good! Maybe you could post results?

I do have a website with some photos of the work in progress. Check
out:

http://www.artg.tv/fireplace-mantel-pix.html

This past weekend I resawed the maple for the front, and completed
most of the shaping of the wenge top. I need the oval cutter for the
front edge of the wenge. I took some photos of that work, but I have
not yet added them to the website.

I'll add more photos as I make progress.

Had a look at the remodel pics while I was there. Very nice! But you've
been dragging your feet on that mantel!
Posted to rec.woodworking
Art Greenberg

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 07:26:22 -0400, Stephen M wrote:

Cool. What did that slab of wenge set you back?

A lot. Could have been a portable planer, or something. Its the most I've ever
spent for a single piece of wood. Well worth it, IMO, as I got a really nice
looking piece, and I don't have to fuss with trying to make that up with
smaller pieces, or veneer on some other subsrate. But I have to tell you, I
have been very nervous about cutting into it, and I have been very careful to
measure, measure again, and verify my measurement before cutting. Using a
template has taken some of the stress out of that, too.

--
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking
Stephen M

"Art Greenberg" wrote in message
nk.net...
On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 07:26:22 -0400, Stephen M wrote:

Cool. What did that slab of wenge set you back?

A lot. Could have been a portable planer, or something. Its the most I've

ever
spent for a single piece of wood. Well worth it, IMO, as I got a really

nice
looking piece,

The only Wenge I have ever touched in in the neck of my two Warwick basses.
I knew that had to come at a price.

That, plus the tiger maple, should give you an "instrument-grade" mantle :-)

Conteporary is not really my thing but I expect the final result will be
stunning. please post to ABPW when you're done.

Cheers,

Steve