Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

Default Any way to glue thin wood together?

A couple years ago I bought a big load of luan for almost nothing. I have
used up all the 3/4" and 1/2" stock, and am left with a pile of 3/8". Some
of it is very pretty, but I can't think of a use for it.

I was about to try gluing it together to make 3/4", but decided the amount
of glue needed, and the work involved in clamping it was just too much.

Is there a reasonable way to glue it? Or is there a good use for 3/8"
stock?

It would make a heck of a bonfire, but something more constructive would be
nice.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Art Greenberg

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 02:53:50 GMT, Toller wrote:
A couple years ago I bought a big load of luan for almost nothing. I have
used up all the 3/4" and 1/2" stock, and am left with a pile of 3/8". Some
of it is very pretty, but I can't think of a use for it.

I was about to try gluing it together to make 3/4", but decided the amount
of glue needed, and the work involved in clamping it was just too much.

Is there a reasonable way to glue it? Or is there a good use for 3/8"
stock?

It would make a heck of a bonfire, but something more constructive would be
nice.

A vacuum press would do for the glue-up.

--
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen

Toller wrote:
A couple years ago I bought a big load of luan for almost nothing. I have
used up all the 3/4" and 1/2" stock, and am left with a pile of 3/8". Some
of it is very pretty, but I can't think of a use for it.

Is there a reasonable way to glue it? Or is there a good use for 3/8"
stock?

Small drawer sides? Doll house furniture? Trivets?

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH

Toller wrote:
A couple years ago I bought a big load of luan for almost nothing. I
have used up all the 3/4" and 1/2" stock, and am left with a pile of
3/8". Some of it is very pretty, but I can't think of a use for it.

I was about to try gluing it together to make 3/4", but decided the
amount of glue needed, and the work involved in clamping it was just
too much.

Is there a reasonable way to glue it?

Easy to glue together with epoxy thickened with Cabosil...no clamping
needed, just a modest weight on top.
___________

Or is there a good use for 3/8" stock?

Sure, all sorts of things...drawer partitions, drawer sides...edge glue
it into wider pieces and use for whatever...applied moldings...edging
ply...drawer/cabinet pulls...

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking
TheNewGuy

Chris Friesen wrote:
Toller wrote:
Is there a reasonable way to glue it? Or is there a good use for 3/8"
stock?

Small drawer sides? Doll house furniture? Trivets?

Boxes; flat panels in doors; resaw in 1/2, and use as veneer.

-Chris

Posted to rec.woodworking
joed

Chris Friesen wrote:
Toller wrote:
A couple years ago I bought a big load of luan for almost nothing. I
have used up all the 3/4" and 1/2" stock, and am left with a pile of
3/8". Some of it is very pretty, but I can't think of a use for it.

Is there a reasonable way to glue it? Or is there a good use for 3/8"
stock?

Small drawer sides? Doll house furniture? Trivets?

Chris

Doll house furniture gave me a chuckle. After the first sheet was used
up he would have to put an addition on the doll house.