Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

Default What am I looking for?

This is not really a woodworking question but the range of knowledge in this
group gives me confidence that someone here will know the product I'm
looking for. I have an existing ceiling that I want to cover. Somewhere I
read of a product to do this. It was somewhat along the line of a suspended
ceiling but attached directly to existing sheetrock and only lowered the
ceiling height by an inch or two. Does this ring a bell to someone and could
you give me some pointers as to what to look for? Thanks for your time.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Gooey TARBALLS

"I have an existing ceiling that I want to cover . . ."
". . . attached directly to existing sheetrock "

"Why?" is the first question that comes to mind.

"Why not," quickly follows, "replace the drywall?"

"What is the objective," or "final result / "look" you are trying to
achieve?" follows on quickly

"CW" wrote in message
ink.net...
This is not really a woodworking question but the range of knowledge in
this
group gives me confidence that someone here will know the product I'm
looking for. I have an existing ceiling that I want to cover. Somewhere I
read of a product to do this. It was somewhat along the line of a
suspended
ceiling but attached directly to existing sheetrock and only lowered the
ceiling height by an inch or two. Does this ring a bell to someone and
could
you give me some pointers as to what to look for? Thanks for your time.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lobby Dosser

"CW" wrote:

This is not really a woodworking question but the range of knowledge
in this group gives me confidence that someone here will know the
product I'm looking for. I have an existing ceiling that I want to
cover. Somewhere I read of a product to do this. It was somewhat along
the line of a suspended ceiling but attached directly to existing
sheetrock and only lowered the ceiling height by an inch or two. Does
this ring a bell to someone and could you give me some pointers as to
what to look for? Thanks for your time.

http://www.ceilinglink.com/
Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

Yes though I was thinking it was planks somewhat like a laminate floor. I
did just now find it at Lowes. They call it, of all things, ceiling planks.
Thanks for the help. I'll look into the tile too. There is nothing
structurally wrong with the existing ceiling except some dumba** blew on
popcorn. Rather than go trough the process of refinishing, I am looking at
alternatives.

wrote in message
Sounds like ordinary ceiling tile. Staples or glues directly to either a
ceiling in sound shape or lath strips if the ceiling is in dodgy physical
condition.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Upscale

"Gooey TARBALLS" wrote in message
"Why?" is the first question that comes to mind.

It occurs to me that it might be useful for running something such as
speaker wires across a room when the alternative is to have them open
snaking around a room possibly across a door entrance or eliminating the
effort to bury them in the wall somewhere.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sounds like ordinary ceiling tile. Staples or glues directly to either a
ceiling in sound shape or lath strips if the ceiling is in dodgy physical
condition.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Gooey TARBALLS

"dumba** blew on popcorn"

Texturing like popcorn is used to hide small defects in the drywall
ceiling. Its cheaper to finish that way.

Have you priced a professional refinishing job?

Good idea to establish that cost as a base to compare alternatives to.

ink.net...

wrote in message
Sounds like ordinary ceiling tile. Staples or glues directly to either a
ceiling in sound shape or lath strips if the ceiling is in dodgy physical
condition.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Gooey TARBALLS

http://www.armstrong.com/resclgam/na...type&shapeId=3

Ceilings and Ceiling Tile Systems by Armstrong: Ceiling Selector
Plank Ceilings

a.. Attach directly to existing ceiling
b.. Available in 6" x 48", 5" x 78" or 5" x 84" tongue-and-groove designs
c.. No grid system, resulting in a cleaner look
d.. Virtually no loss in ceiling height

Installing Plank Ceilings
http://www.armstrong.com/content2/resam/files/18790.pdf

Planks can be installed with furring strips, directly to your current
ceiling, or using the Armstrong Easy-Up® Installation Kit.

"CW" wrote in message
ink.net...
This is not really a woodworking question but the range of knowledge in
this
group gives me confidence that someone here will know the product I'm
looking for. I have an existing ceiling that I want to cover. Somewhere I
read of a product to do this. It was somewhat along the line of a
suspended
ceiling but attached directly to existing sheetrock and only lowered the
ceiling height by an inch or two. Does this ring a bell to someone and
could
you give me some pointers as to what to look for? Thanks for your time.

Posted to rec.woodworking
RM MS

stamped tin