Posted to rec.woodworking
John L. Poole

Default blades for Hitachi P12RA Planer/Jointer

John Laurence Poole wrote:
Has anyone purchased carbide blades for the Hitachi Planer/Jointer
P12RA? If so, what did you pay for them? My searching through

the web
comes up blank. Are there vendors who sell replacement blades

(steel or
carbide) for the P12RA?

John

The blades for the P12RA are what in trade referred to as "specialized"
blades because they have custom slots and holes. Consequently, you are
tied into the manufacturer for blades.

Despite reports to the contrary and the failure of these blades to
appear in the documentation as parts or accessories, Hitachi does offer
carbide blades for P12RA planer and the jointer. The Hitachi part
numbers a planer - 200001 and jointer - 401000. I just ordered both
sets from an authorized Hitachi parts supplier, be ready for sticker
shock, the MFG list price for the blades are $448.71 for the planer and
$224.35 for the jointer as of April 7, 2006. The vendor I purchased
from discounted my price to 80% of the list price.

The toll free number to Hitachi Power Tools Customer Service is
800-706-7337.
The vendor I used was Florida Tools at 800-805-0075.

Yes, I'm replying to my own posting only 3 years later, but I continue
to see postings where people complained of the lack of carbide blades
so this posting should dispel this myth.