Posted to rec.woodworking
Don Sforza

Default Potassium Dichromate

I recently scored some pattern-grade Honduras Mahogany and have a couple of
projects planned. Not being a "stain everything and slather it with poly"
guy, I wanted to try potassium dichromate. In a word... holy cow. OK that's
two words.

I mixed a very weak solution and tried it on some mahogany scraps and also
some cherry. I got the expected results with the mahogany, but the cherry
astounded me! With one application on the cherry the wood turned a deep dark
brown... not a color I'd like on a cherry piece typically, but for matching
older cherry pieces this may be just the trick.

So the question is: Have any of the wood dorkers out there had the same
experience as me? How about other woods?

Don

Posted to rec.woodworking

Where did you get the potassium dichromate?? What other names might
it come under?
Pete

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 13:46:43 GMT, "Don Sforza"
wrote:

I recently scored some pattern-grade Honduras Mahogany and have a couple of
projects planned. Not being a "stain everything and slather it with poly"
guy, I wanted to try potassium dichromate. In a word... holy cow. OK that's
two words.

I mixed a very weak solution and tried it on some mahogany scraps and also
some cherry. I got the expected results with the mahogany, but the cherry
astounded me! With one application on the cherry the wood turned a deep dark
brown... not a color I'd like on a cherry piece typically, but for matching
older cherry pieces this may be just the trick.

So the question is: Have any of the wood dorkers out there had the same
experience as me? How about other woods?

Don

Posted to rec.woodworking
Marilynn or Bruce Pearce

Through yahoo shopping

http://www.2spi.com/catalog/chem/chem2a4.shtml

wrote in message ...
Where did you get the potassium dichromate?? What other names might
it come under?
Pete

Posted to rec.woodworking
bent

If you get a relatively cheap wood to become black in the future would you
make a post of it for me.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jay Pique

bent wrote:
If you get a relatively cheap wood to become black in the future would you
make a post of it for me.

Burn it. I use a heavy duty propane torch designed to burn brush.
Nice big round flame makes it pretty easy to scorch it evenly.

India ink.

Aniline dye and black pigmented stain.

JP