Posted to rec.woodworking
Don Sforza

Default Potassium Dichromate

I recently scored some pattern-grade Honduras Mahogany and have a couple of
projects planned. Not being a "stain everything and slather it with poly"
guy, I wanted to try potassium dichromate. In a word... holy cow. OK that's
two words.

I mixed a very weak solution and tried it on some mahogany scraps and also
some cherry. I got the expected results with the mahogany, but the cherry
astounded me! With one application on the cherry the wood turned a deep dark
brown... not a color I'd like on a cherry piece typically, but for matching
older cherry pieces this may be just the trick.

So the question is: Have any of the wood dorkers out there had the same
experience as me? How about other woods?

Don