Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve W

Default What do you use to clean oil off new TS?

I just got a Delta TS and they want me to clean the protective oil off the
top with kerosene. They specifically say not to use paint thinner,
gasoline, or acetone. Any idea why? It would cost me almost 20.00 to get a
couple ounces of kerosene because I would have to buy a kerosene container
also. There must be something else that would be safe and easier to get.

Someone suggested oven cleaner to me, but I am thinking of just wiping the
majority off and leaving a film to protect it. Bad idea?

If I clean it off, what would you suggest to protect it. I am thinking of
using wood polishing wax or a Teflon spray.

-Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave

Steve W wrote:
I just got a Delta TS and they want me to clean the protective oil off the
top with kerosene. They specifically say not to use paint thinner,
gasoline, or acetone. Any idea why? It would cost me almost 20.00 to get a
couple ounces of kerosene because I would have to buy a kerosene container
also. There must be something else that would be safe and easier to get.

Someone suggested oven cleaner to me, but I am thinking of just wiping the
majority off and leaving a film to protect it. Bad idea?

If I clean it off, what would you suggest to protect it. I am thinking of
using wood polishing wax or a Teflon spray.

-Steve

because of the flash point of the three they tell you NOT to use. I
could see a law suit when someone uses gasoline and a little sandpaper
to help it along
Posted to rec.woodworking
stoutman

No offense, but this was recently discussed here.

check he
http://tinyurl.com/lpesk

--
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve W

"stoutman" .@. wrote in message
m...
No offense, but this was recently discussed here.

check he
http://tinyurl.com/lpesk

--
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com
(Featuring a NEW look)

Yeesh, same exact question. Sorry. For some reason that thread is not on
my news server.

Looks like I need to learn to use Google groups.

Thanks

-Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking
stoutman

Yeesh, same exact question. Sorry. For some reason that thread is not on
my news server.

Looks like I need to learn to use Google groups.

Thanks

-Steve

I wouldn't have noticed but it was just last Saturday and I remembered
reading some of it.

No need to apologize. I rehash stuff also to get the input of current
participants, but this was last Saturday!

Posted to rec.woodworking
stoutman

Here is the whole thing.

I posted the wrong link before.

http://tinyurl.com/qf5p5

--
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com
(Featuring a NEW look)

Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen

Steve W wrote:
I just got a Delta TS and they want me to clean the protective oil off the
top with kerosene. They specifically say not to use paint thinner,
gasoline, or acetone. Any idea why?

They're volatile and may damage the paint.

I had reasonable luck with a putty knife and then mineral spirits...was
careful not to scrub at the paint too much.

I used a small screwdriver and an old toothbrush to clear the gunk out
of the miter slots.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking
Gerald Ross

Steve W wrote:
I just got a Delta TS and they want me to clean the protective oil off the
top with kerosene. They specifically say not to use paint thinner,
gasoline, or acetone. Any idea why? It would cost me almost 20.00 to get a
couple ounces of kerosene because I would have to buy a kerosene container
also. There must be something else that would be safe and easier to get.

Someone suggested oven cleaner to me, but I am thinking of just wiping the
majority off and leaving a film to protect it. Bad idea?

If I clean it off, what would you suggest to protect it. I am thinking of
using wood polishing wax or a Teflon spray.

-Steve

You could get a bottle of lamp oil. Try WalMart if there is one near you.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Guns don't kill people, postal workers do.

Posted to rec.woodworking
LRod

On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 22:47:01 GMT, "Steve W"
wrote:

I just got a Delta TS and they want me to clean the protective oil off the
top with kerosene. They specifically say not to use paint thinner,
gasoline, or acetone. Any idea why? It would cost me almost 20.00 to get a
couple ounces of kerosene because I would have to buy a kerosene container
also. There must be something else that would be safe and easier to get.

Kerosene is the best. Almost any big box, hardware store, or paint
store will have quart cans of it for considerably less than $20. You
don't have to buy your own container.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve W

That is what I suggested. The said they could only legally sell in an
authorized container.

Kerosene container? How about a mason jar?

"Steve W" wrote in message
. com...
I just got a Delta TS and they want me to clean the protective oil off the
top with kerosene. They specifically say not to use paint thinner,
gasoline, or acetone. Any idea why? It would cost me almost 20.00 to get
a couple ounces of kerosene because I would have to buy a kerosene
container also. There must be something else that would be safe and
easier to get.

Someone suggested oven cleaner to me, but I am thinking of just wiping
the majority off and leaving a film to protect it. Bad idea?

If I clean it off, what would you suggest to protect it. I am thinking
of using wood polishing wax or a Teflon spray.

-Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tanus

Steve W wrote:
That is what I suggested. The said they could only legally sell in an
authorized container.

I buy kerosene in 19l(4 gallons US?) containers here for about $23 CDN.
That includes the container which is just a plastic jug with a screwcap
on it. It sounds like you're in a jurisdiction that has some different
kinds of rules, or the store is trying to soak you for a container. I'd
try a different place and see if the story is the same.

Kerosene is flammable for sure, but nowhere near as volatile as gas or
acetone, and should be more widely available than what you're
describing. Maybe a few minutes on the phone calling different
suppliers will get you a better kick at it.

Tanus

Posted to rec.woodworking
Amused

"Gooey TARBALLS" wrote in message
Kerosene container? How about a mason jar?

"Steve W" wrote in message
. com...
I just got a Delta TS and they want me to clean the protective oil off the
top with kerosene. They specifically say not to use paint thinner,
gasoline, or acetone. Any idea why? It would cost me almost 20.00 to get
a couple ounces of kerosene because I would have to buy a kerosene
container also. There must be something else that would be safe and
easier to get.

Someone suggested oven cleaner to me, but I am thinking of just wiping
the majority off and leaving a film to protect it. Bad idea?

If I clean it off, what would you suggest to protect it. I am thinking
of using wood polishing wax or a Teflon spray.

-Steve

Oil eventually gets dry and sticky.
BTW, WD-40 eventually forms a varnish when it dries.

Coleman camp fuel (white gas)
Goop-be-gone
Goof off
Any auto tar remover (It's mostly keroscene, anyway)
Any auto degreaser
Carbrator cleaner

Buy several rolls of paper towels.

If it's cosmoline and not oil....Oh, boy, are you in for a fun time. But
there's other things that will work, including keroscene. Consider it one
of life's learning experiences.

Find a self-serve gas station that sells kerosene. How the hell do they
know what kind of container you put it in?

What kind of container costs $20? That sucker must have a real collection
of safety stickers on it.

Protection. Johnson's paste wax.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

"Steve W" wrote in message
. com...
I just got a Delta TS and they want me to clean the protective oil off the
top with kerosene. They specifically say not to use paint thinner,
gasoline, or acetone. Any idea why? It would cost me almost 20.00 to get
a couple ounces of kerosene because I would have to buy a kerosene
container also. There must be something else that would be safe and easier
to get.

Someone suggested oven cleaner to me, but I am thinking of just wiping the
majority off and leaving a film to protect it. Bad idea?

I tried that, but the residue is gunky and clings tightly to saw dust.
I cleaned it all off with 409 and then put wax on it. Much better idea.

Posted to rec.woodworking
bremen68

I have good results with WD40. If you let it dry it does make a lovely
varnish, but that does take a while.

Somebody mentioned Coleman fuel......Ya might want to pass on that
stuff....Take if from an experienced pyro, that's some serious stuff
there. It'll flash in a big hurry.

If you ask around somebody you know is bound to have some kero around
and will probably part with a pint or so for you.

Good luck!!!

Posted to rec.woodworking
professorpaul

Charcoal starter is essentially kerosene. You can get it by the quart
in the local grocery store.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Cap'n 321

Look back on this board about 10 days ago for same subject. I just got
a new Delta and ended up using mineral spirits. Worked fine.

I used a good grade of auto wax for a protective coat and will reapply
weekly.

Cap'n 321

Steve W wrote:
I just got a Delta TS and they want me to clean the protective oil off the
top with kerosene. They specifically say not to use paint thinner,
gasoline, or acetone. Any idea why? It would cost me almost 20.00 to get a
couple ounces of kerosene because I would have to buy a kerosene container
also. There must be something else that would be safe and easier to get.

Someone suggested oven cleaner to me, but I am thinking of just wiping the
majority off and leaving a film to protect it. Bad idea?

If I clean it off, what would you suggest to protect it. I am thinking of
using wood polishing wax or a Teflon spray.

-Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Balderstone

In article , Cap'n 321
wrote:

I used a good grade of auto wax for a protective coat and will reapply
weekly.

Just make sure there's no silicone in that automotive wax.