Posted to rec.woodworking

Default proto-neander seeks shavings

Hi all, yet another newbie looking for a sanity check before diving in.

I did a search of the archives but didn't find much discussion relevant
to my questions, but feel free to flame away if I'm the forty-third
newb to go down this road since last Tuesday. Please make sure flames
include example subject headers to search for so I can find the other
forty-two. :-)

Neander-wise, I'm starting from scratch, so it's Tool Time(tm)! Yay!
Now, I've got a fair collection of powered wood butchers and more than
a decade of experience using them on a more-or-less daily basis. Not in
a cabinet shop, mind you; think model making and allied fields: lots of
MDF/aluminum/plastic, lots of precision, but no finishing, etc. My
tailed friends are homeless for a while since I no longer work in or
around a shop and will be living in an apartment for the next few
years.

Being in need of an absurd amount of shelf space, I have ambitions to
build a M&T face framed whole-wall shelf/cabinet unit as project #1.
I'd like to do it Ye Olde Fashioned Way for reasons of space, fun, and
decibels. After that, many more projects to follow, but I can acquire
tools as needed for those projects.

Cost seems to be an issue for a lot of newbies, but as someone who owns
a bunch of Snap-On, Tektronix, etc., I'm unfazed by all but the
"collector's edition" (e.g. Holtey planes) high end neander tool prices
--IF-- their performance justifies the cost. And that's what brings me
he newbie with a task in mind and possibly more money than sense
wants to make shavings.

I have a shopping list, but I'd rather hear untainted[1] opinions of
what kind of full kit you'd put together for the task at hand. I'm
thinking of using good ole paint for finish, and will be working in
softwoods unless someone puts a stop to my madness.

Have fun spending my money, and thanks!
-john

[1] OK, a little taint: ECE planes appeal to me, as do Ashley Iles
chisels, but that's just based on catalog wanking and spotty
information found in this newsgroup & elsewhere.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy

Have fun spending my money

OK, I won't give you a specific list, but I'd start at
knight-toolworks.com and leevalley.com - I think you'd have a hard time
getting a poor-quality tool from either site. When I get extra cash
(and permission from SWMBO) it often disappears at one of these places.
These are some of my favorite sites to browse, and both are absolutely
excellent companies to deal with in terms of quality and customer
service. (No affiliations, just a satisfied customer.) They also both
post to this NG at least semi-regularly (look for posts or replies by
Steve Knight and Robin Lee). You should be able to outfit yourself
with a really nice setup of planes, chisels, and saws from these sites
(well, just planes from Steve Knight, but he's been known to give
first-timers a discount, and they sure are nice planes if you like
woodies...)
japanwoodworker.com also has some very nice hand tools, but I haven't
ordered from them yet.

I'm thinking of using good ole paint for finish, and will be working in softwoods unless someone puts a stop to my madness.

OK, I'll do my best - have a look around at some nice hardwood
furniture or cabinets with a clear finish: quartersawn white oak,
figured walnut, quilted maple, or nicely aged cherry - do you really
want to cover up your hard work with paint?!? (and those are just a
few of the North American hardwoods!) Please! Shellac, oil-varnish
blend, or wipe-on poly are not difficult to use, and they'll highlight
your wood instead of covering it up. If you're going to paint it, why
don't you make the whole thing out of MDF and nails? Sheesh.
(Sorry; done ranting now)
Have fun with your new quieter hobby,
Andy

Proto Tools Rose Woodworking 2 May 17th 04 06:52 PM
Workbench - Neander vs Normite Mike W. Woodworking 12 February 1st 04 03:14 AM
my first shavings... Silvan Woodworking 7 September 24th 03 12:54 PM