Posted to rec.woodworking
TinWoodsmn

Default Bessey clamp problem

I have a Bessey TG5.512 clamp (not a K-body) whose jaws are closed as tight
as they can be. The screw handle is in its out (loosest) position, so there
is no room for adjustment. Before I change the length of a perfectly good
hex wrench to loosen where the bottom jaw 'slides', does anyone have a
simple solution to my problem?

Thanks.

Tin Woodsmn

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"TinWoodsmn" wrote in message
I have a Bessey TG5.512 clamp (not a K-body) whose jaws are closed as tight
as they can be. The screw handle is in its out (loosest) position, so there
is no room for adjustment. Before I change the length of a perfectly good
hex wrench to loosen where the bottom jaw 'slides', does anyone have a
simple solution to my problem?

Thanks.

Tap the slide end from the bottom side with a hammer and flat faced punch.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Phisherman

On Sun, 2 Apr 2006 13:14:30 -0700, "TinWoodsmn" wrote:

I have a Bessey TG5.512 clamp (not a K-body) whose jaws are closed as tight
as they can be. The screw handle is in its out (loosest) position, so there
is no room for adjustment. Before I change the length of a perfectly good
hex wrench to loosen where the bottom jaw 'slides', does anyone have a
simple solution to my problem?

Thanks.

Tin Woodsmn

Take hold of the part where the jaws meet with one hand. Hold the
handle with the other hand. Twist your hands back and forth. That
procedure worked for me today. Next time I won't loosen the screw all
the way!
Posted to rec.woodworking
TinWoodsmn

Default Bessey clamp problem .. a solution from Bessey

"TinWoodsmn" wrote in message
I have a Bessey TG5.512 clamp (not a K-body) whose jaws are closed as tight
as they can be. The screw handle is in its out (loosest) position, so there
is no room for adjustment. Before I change the length of a perfectly good
hex wrench to loosen where the bottom jaw 'slides', does anyone have a
simple solution to my problem?

Thanks.

Tin Woodsmn

Thanks to those who replied, but neither solution worked in my situation.
However I contacted Bessey and they are replacing the clamp free of charge!

The cost of shipping my clamp from N. CA to NY was more than the cost of a
new clamp. So they decided to replace it at their expense. I'm adding Bessey
to my list of those companies where customer satisfaction is high on the
list.

I now have a non-working clamp. Anybody have any ideas?

Tin Woodsmn

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"TinWoodsmn" wrote in message
"TinWoodsmn" wrote in message

I now have a non-working clamp. Anybody have any ideas?

Yeah, cut the fixed end off like you were talking about in the first place
and remount if possible.

Posted to rec.woodworking
MB

Are the red plastic pads still on? Maybe you could run a hacksaw
between the pads. It would ruin the plastic, but it would give you some
wiggle room to open the clamps.

Mitch

Posted to rec.woodworking
TinWoodsmn

"MB" wrote in message
ups.com...
Are the red plastic pads still on? Maybe you could run a hacksaw
between the pads. It would ruin the plastic, but it would give you some
wiggle room to open the clamps.

Mitch

Mitch,

Thanks for the follow-up. That is exactly what I did yesterday with complete
success. There is no pad on the stationary jaw, but the one which I removed
on the moveable jaw is replaceable.

Thanks again.

Tin Woodsmn