Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike in Arkansas

Default Forrest make Hogan Hardwoods blades? possible?

Was in Little Rock this Saturday and stopped at the new Hogan
Hardwoods. The just moved from nearby Jacksonville and were having an
opening sale. They had some 10 inch blades (rip, crosscut and miter)
with various tooth count. They looked pretty good and appeared to be
very sharp using the fingernail test. While checking out the gentleman
mentioned that they were made by Forrest and that they were marked as
such. When we tried to find the mark he couldn't but did see "Made in
Germany". Haven't had a chanch to use one yet but is it possible he was
correct and these really are Forrest blades? If so then woodworkers in
the LR area need to get down there because they are marked down by
about 75 percent right now.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Drackman

"Mike in Arkansas" wrote in message
oups.com...
Was in Little Rock this Saturday and stopped at the new Hogan
Hardwoods. The just moved from nearby Jacksonville and were having an
opening sale. They had some 10 inch blades (rip, crosscut and miter)
with various tooth count. They looked pretty good and appeared to be
very sharp using the fingernail test. While checking out the gentleman
mentioned that they were made by Forrest and that they were marked as
such. When we tried to find the mark he couldn't but did see "Made in
Germany". Haven't had a chanch to use one yet but is it possible he was
correct and these really are Forrest blades? If so then woodworkers in
the LR area need to get down there because they are marked down by
about 75 percent right now.

Don't confuse "made with Forrest" as being the same thing as a product sold
under the Forrest brand. Many manufacturers make products for other
companies but the quality is controlled by the specification that is agree
to. Hogan Hardwoods can spec lower quality materials, tolerances, and
quality control.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"marked down 75 percent.." What does that mean? What did you actually
pay for the blade?

Bob

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike in Arkansas

marked down 75 percent.." What does that mean? What did you actually
pay for the blade
I paid 28 for a rip blade and 36 for a crosscut. They had some miter
blades in 60,80, and 100 tooth for up to 90.00. The miter blades all
had a very obvious negative hook angle to the teeth. I know you 'get
what you pay for' and these may be really crummy blades but I do know
they are as least as sharp as my recently purchased freud from Lowes.
In any event the manager told me that the 36 dollar blade listed
normally for 90.00 and the 28 dollar blade for 78.00. The 75% was just
and estimate so please don't bother to correct my math. I'm not
claiming they are any good, the carbide might be soft or any number of
things could be wrong, including a total fabrication by the seller. I
was just inquiring if anyone knew. I'm not going to have time to test
them out for a few days. They were in effect too cheap to pass up
since I don't get to the 'big city' very often.

Posted to rec.woodworking
charlie b

Let's look at this thing logically. Why would Forrest, a
premium sawblade manufacturor with an excellent
reputation, selling their saw blades at a premium price,
license their blade designs and specifications to anyone
who will use it to compete with them at one third
Forrest blade prices, AND allow the Forrest name
and reputation to be associated with the resulting saw
blades? Forrest's market is the US, not Europe so
having a manufacturing site in Germany in order to
eliminate import duty doesn't seem worth it. This
doesn't make sense.

As far as I know, Forrest saw blades are made in the USA, not
Germany. As far as I know, Forrest does not license their
blade design or specs.

Have two Forrest WWII 10" blades that are both 40 tooth.
I don't think they make a 10" 36 tooth blade. Bought both
blades at a "show price" of $89 US, the "normal price"
normall being from $99 - $110 US.

Forrest blades come with a $5 off Forrest rehsarpening
coupon. Did these blades have such a coupon?

If it's a Forrest blade "Forrest" should be somewhere
on the blade.

Sounds like a salesperson wanting to make a sale.

charlie b

Posted to rec.woodworking
dnoyeB

Frank Drackman wrote:
[...]

This is a valid point. While it is usually not cost effective to run a
seperate operation to make an inferior blade, often the products sold
under other names can be the ones made with same material on same line
as original brand that simply failed the quality inspection of the
original brand.

They do this with computer processors all the time. However, sometimes
the original process gets so good that there are no rejects, so then you
get the real thing. With computer processors typically folks like to
reference the week of the build to get a general idea of the quality.

--
Thank you,

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike in Arkansas

Glenn wrote:
Where is the new store located?

Glenn, the store is in Little Rock just off of 630. Forget the street
name but it's something like Geyer Springs and is the first or second
exit on 630 heading east from the airport. Exit right and go 2 or 3
lights and turn left at the Sears warehouse. It's behind the warehous
on a deadend.

Charlie b. Your probably right although I was already purchasing the
blades when he told me. again I'm not claiming they are any good much
less Forrest blades, just though I'd ask.

Mike, who has two new sharp blades of unknown quality and hopes to try
them soon.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike in Arkansas

www,hoganhardwoods.com stores in AR, LA, TX, OK, FL. FWIW, the saw
blades in question are not listed on their website.

Posted to rec.woodworking

more money David Home Repair 0 December 7th 05 07:38 PM
Make thousands with just 6 dollars! It really works! [email protected] Home Ownership 0 August 2nd 05 05:38 PM
MAKE £5,000 WITH JUST £3 AND 6 STAMPS!! [email protected] Home Ownership 0 July 25th 05 01:10 AM
Leatherman Tool Henry E Schaffer Woodworking 13 August 27th 03 06:17 AM