Posted to rec.woodworking
Billy Smith

Default How do I join the frames to make a cabinet?

Here's a question for you experienced cabinetmakers out there.

I'm building a traditional-style (close to Stickley) bookcase with
glass doors and frame-and-panel cabinet construction. The basic
plan calls for a back frame, two side frames, a bottom frame
and a top frame. The front has only a rail across the bottom
with the glass doors above it.

The top assembly consists of the top frame (without panels) that
sits on top of the side and back frames; the top frame's faces
are horizontal and it's edges are visible in the final product.
A solid wood top is attached to the top frame by hardware that
allows for movement of the solid top.

The plans I'm working from specify a rabbet where the back frame
fits into the side frames and a horizontal groove all the way
around the bottom for the bottom frame to fit in. I'm supposed
to screw the back frame into it's rabbett. But the plans say
nothing about glueing any of the completed frames to each other.
(I'm not talking about glueing stiles and rails together to make
the individual frames.) Don't I need these frames joined
together with glue to form the cabinet?

Specifically:

1. Where the back frame fits into a rabbet in the side frames, it
is screwed in but should I glue this joint too?

2. The bottom frame sits in a groove at the bottom of the cabinet;
should I glue that joint all the way around?

3. The plans say nothing about joining the top frame to the side
and back frames. I could screw the top frame into the other frames
but it seems better to use biscuits and glue it on.

Thanks,
Billy

Posted to rec.woodworking
deadlock

"Billy Smith" wrote in message
[...]

Without seeing the plans, it can only be a guess, but maybe it's designed to
allow for timber movement, hence the absence of glue.

Posted to rec.woodworking
bf

Billy Smith wrote:
Specifically:

1. Where the back frame fits into a rabbet in the side frames, it
is screwed in but should I glue this joint too?

I never glue my back in.. The purpose of the back is to prevent the
cabinent from racking (in general).. use the recommend fasteners the
plans say, and you'll be fine.

2. The bottom frame sits in a groove at the bottom of the cabinet;
should I glue that joint all the way around?

3. The plans say nothing about joining the top frame to the side
and back frames. I could screw the top frame into the other frames
but it seems better to use biscuits and glue it on.

Since I don't know exactly what you are doing, I'm going to recommend
you just follow the plans.. My guess is that where you screw the bottom
in will not be seen. My second guess is that the solid wood top hides
the top frame.
There's nothing wrong with just using mechanical fasteners where
appropriate. Everything doesn't have to be glued in. Heck, your house
is being held together with fasteners and no glue. As the other poster
said, sometimes using glue where you shouldn't causes wood movement
problems later.
When in doubt, I'd follow the plans to the letter and not risk ruining
the project because you feel comfortable with extra glue.