Posted to rec.woodworking
Cap'n 321

Default Cleaning new saw

Got my new Delta delivered and need to clean the gunk off the tables.
Delta says use kerosene and specifically says not to use gasoline or
acetone. Finding kerosene is a pain in the butt. Any ideas?
Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave W

Paint thinner is very close to being kerosene and it is not as stinky! It
will work just fine.
Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tyke

Kerosene is probably recommended as being available and inexpensive.
Mineral Spirits works as well. The recommendation to NOT use gasoline or
acetone is due to flammability.

Dave Paine.

"Cap'n 321" wrote in message
et...
Got my new Delta delivered and need to clean the gunk off the tables.
Delta says use kerosene and specifically says not to use gasoline or
acetone. Finding kerosene is a pain in the butt. Any ideas?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Darrell Dorsey

I like VM&P Naptha.

Darrell

"Cap'n 321" wrote in message
et...
Got my new Delta delivered and need to clean the gunk off the tables.
Delta says use kerosene and specifically says not to use gasoline or
acetone. Finding kerosene is a pain in the butt. Any ideas?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark & Juanita

On Sat, 1 Apr 2006 09:43:29 -0500, "Tyke" wrote:

Kerosene is probably recommended as being available and inexpensive.
Mineral Spirits works as well. The recommendation to NOT use gasoline or
acetone is due to flammability.

Thought the admonition against acetone would be due to damage to painted
surfaces? Definitely agree that the gasoline would be flammability
concerns.

Dave Paine.

"Cap'n 321" wrote in message
. net...
Got my new Delta delivered and need to clean the gunk off the tables.
Delta says use kerosene and specifically says not to use gasoline or
acetone. Finding kerosene is a pain in the butt. Any ideas?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Phisherman

On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 14:31:07 GMT, Cap'n 321
wrote:

Got my new Delta delivered and need to clean the gunk off the tables.
Delta says use kerosene and specifically says not to use gasoline or
acetone. Finding kerosene is a pain in the butt. Any ideas?

Use an entire roll of paper towels to wipe off as much as possible.
Kerosene is not that difficult to find. It is sold at most large gas
stations and Walmart. I'd check the hunting/fishing/camping supplies
area. You don't need a lot of kerosene, and it has a lot of uses
including removing light rust and preventing it, plus it is relatively
non-toxic! Yeah, it does stink, but it's not too bad if open a
window.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Oleg Lego

The Cap'n 321 entity posted thusly:

Got my new Delta delivered and need to clean the gunk off the tables.
Delta says use kerosene and specifically says not to use gasoline or
acetone. Finding kerosene is a pain in the butt. Any ideas?

If you can't find it at WalMart or a large gas station or camping
supplies place, WD-40, though somewhat expensive, is basically scented
kerosene.

Posted to rec.woodworking
bent

HD!?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Sweet Sawdust

Talk about a fire hazard!! I use that for lighter fluid. Does cut the crap
of a new tool real well though
"Darrell Dorsey" wrote in message
ervers.com...
I like VM&P Naptha.

Darrell

"Cap'n 321" wrote in message
et...
Got my new Delta delivered and need to clean the gunk off the tables.
Delta says use kerosene and specifically says not to use gasoline or
acetone. Finding kerosene is a pain in the butt. Any ideas?

Posted to rec.woodworking
George E. Cawthon

Cap'n 321 wrote:
Got my new Delta delivered and need to clean the gunk off the tables.
Delta says use kerosene and specifically says not to use gasoline or
acetone. Finding kerosene is a pain in the butt. Any ideas?

Good grief! Diesel fuel is essentially the same
thing. How about fuel for wick type lamps, also
many hardware and other places sell kerosene
heaters so they also sell kerosene, also Lowes and
Home Depot. Why not use WD 40.

They probably don't want you to clean it with
gasoline or acetone because it might rust almost
immediately.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

Cap'n 321 wrote:
Got my new Delta delivered and need to clean the gunk off the tables.
Delta says use kerosene and specifically says not to use gasoline or
acetone. Finding kerosene is a pain in the butt. Any ideas?

Lighter fluid.

er
--
email not valid
Posted to rec.woodworking
deadlock

"Enoch Root" wrote in message
Cap'n 321 wrote:
Got my new Delta delivered and need to clean the gunk off the tables.
Delta says use kerosene and specifically says not to use gasoline or
acetone. Finding kerosene is a pain in the butt. Any ideas?

Lighter fluid.

Mountain bike citrus degreaser. Water soluble, a 1/2 litre bottle goes a
long way. And, no, I didn't think it would work either. Trip down to your
local bike shop and have a word. Trust me.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark & Juanita

On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 11:47:58 -0600, Oleg Lego wrote:

The Cap'n 321 entity posted thusly:

Got my new Delta delivered and need to clean the gunk off the tables.
Delta says use kerosene and specifically says not to use gasoline or
acetone. Finding kerosene is a pain in the butt. Any ideas?

If you can't find it at WalMart or a large gas station or camping
supplies place, WD-40, though somewhat expensive, is basically scented
kerosene.

Some auto supply stores carry WD-40 in bulk 1 gallon cans and relatively
inexpensive compared to the aerosols. The last place I saw this was at Pep
Boys several years ago; haven't looked since.

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"Oleg Lego" wrote in message
The Cap'n 321 entity posted thusly:

Got my new Delta delivered and need to clean the gunk off the tables.
Delta says use kerosene and specifically says not to use gasoline or
acetone. Finding kerosene is a pain in the butt. Any ideas?

If you can't find it at WalMart or a large gas station or camping
supplies place, WD-40, though somewhat expensive, is basically scented
kerosene.

Not even close. Stoddard solvent. Kerosene is a bunch heavier. Mineral
spirits a close match.

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"deadlock" nobody@nowhere_yes_its a_cliche.com wrote in message

"Enoch Root" wrote in message
Cap'n 321 wrote:
Got my new Delta delivered and need to clean the gunk off the tables.
Delta says use kerosene and specifically says not to use gasoline or
acetone. Finding kerosene is a pain in the butt. Any ideas?

Lighter fluid.

Mountain bike citrus degreaser. Water soluble, a 1/2 litre bottle goes a
long way. And, no, I didn't think it would work either. Trip down to your
local bike shop and have a word. Trust me.

Great idea! Water and cast iron should be friends....

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill D

most households have oven cleaner on had - give it a go.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Cap'n 321 wrote:
Got my new Delta delivered and need to clean the gunk off the tables.
Delta says use kerosene and specifically says not to use gasoline or
acetone. Finding kerosene is a pain in the butt. Any ideas?

Can you find diesel fuel or heating oil? They are essentially kerosene with
different tax schemes attached. As far as that goes, you can also use Jet-A.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Posted to rec.woodworking
Don Dando

Default Cleaning new saw top

Mineral spirits.

Don Dando

"Cap'n 321" wrote in message
et...
Got my new Delta delivered and need to clean the gunk off the tables.
Delta says use kerosene and specifically says not to use gasoline or
acetone. Finding kerosene is a pain in the butt. Any ideas?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Sailaway

Got my new Delta delivered and need to clean the gunk off the tables.
Delta says use kerosene and specifically says not to use gasoline or
acetone. Finding kerosene is a pain in the butt. Any ideas?

Diesel will work just as well.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Drackman

"Enoch Root" wrote in message
Cap'n 321 wrote:
Got my new Delta delivered and need to clean the gunk off the tables.
Delta says use kerosene and specifically says not to use gasoline or
acetone. Finding kerosene is a pain in the butt. Any ideas?

Lighter fluid.

Mountain bike citrus degreaser. Water soluble, a 1/2 litre bottle goes a
long way. And, no, I didn't think it would work either. Trip down to your
local bike shop and have a word. Trust me.

You forgot to say "April Fools"

Putting water into the equation doesn't make any sense to me. I use mineral
spirits and WD-40 from a refillable spray bottle.

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

No, it isn't. Not a bit of kerosene in it. Works for the intended pupose
though.

"Oleg Lego" wrote in message
The Cap'n 321 entity posted thusly:

WD-40, though somewhat expensive, is basically scented
kerosene.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark & Juanita

On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 02:45:26 GMT, "CW" wrote:

Get some diesel fuel. Close enough that you'd never know the difference. WD
40 also works. BTW, kerosene is easily available in most of the civilized
word. How hard did you look?

Places like Tucson with very little winter have a limited number of
sources. As far as I am aware, there are two places one can get kerosene
here, one place here wanted to charge $8/gallon for a pail of kerosene last
winter. My normal supplier is much more reasonable but they only carry
kerosene during the winter months and in limited supply.

"Cap'n 321" wrote in message
. net...
Got my new Delta delivered and need to clean the gunk off the tables.
Delta says use kerosene and specifically says not to use gasoline or
acetone. Finding kerosene is a pain in the butt. Any ideas?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett

Sailaway wrote:
Got my new Delta delivered and need to clean the gunk off the tables.
Delta says use kerosene and specifically says not to use gasoline or
acetone. Finding kerosene is a pain in the butt. Any ideas?

Lamp Oil.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett

CW wrote:

BTW, kerosene is easily available in most of the civilized
word. How hard did you look?

You will play hell trying to find kero in SoCal.

It's an air quality issue.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

Standard lantern and camp stove fuel. In Arizona? Got to be everywhere. In
any case, diesel is available.

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 02:45:26 GMT, "CW" wrote:

Get some diesel fuel. Close enough that you'd never know the difference.

WD
40 also works. BTW, kerosene is easily available in most of the civilized
word. How hard did you look?

Places like Tucson with very little winter have a limited number of
sources. As far as I am aware, there are two places one can get kerosene
here, one place here wanted to charge $8/gallon for a pail of kerosene

last
winter. My normal supplier is much more reasonable but they only carry
kerosene during the winter months and in limited supply.

"Cap'n 321" wrote in message
. net...
Got my new Delta delivered and need to clean the gunk off the tables.
Delta says use kerosene and specifically says not to use gasoline or
acetone. Finding kerosene is a pain in the butt. Any ideas?

-----+

-----+

Posted to rec.woodworking
Oleg Lego

The George entity posted thusly:

"Oleg Lego" wrote in message
.. .
The Cap'n 321 entity posted thusly:

Got my new Delta delivered and need to clean the gunk off the tables.
Delta says use kerosene and specifically says not to use gasoline or
acetone. Finding kerosene is a pain in the butt. Any ideas?

If you can't find it at WalMart or a large gas station or camping
supplies place, WD-40, though somewhat expensive, is basically scented
kerosene.

Not even close. Stoddard solvent. Kerosene is a bunch heavier. Mineral
spirits a close match.

Since WD40 ingredients are proprietary, and since Stoddard solvent is,
like kerosene and Varsol, an aliphatic petroleum distillate, I would
say that the point is pretty much moot. WD40 pours like kerosene,
burns like kerosene, and in all ways except smell, acts like kerosene,
I would consider it to be, most likely, a duck.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Cap'n 321 wrote:
Got my new Delta delivered and need to clean the gunk off the tables.
Delta says use kerosene and specifically says not to use gasoline or
acetone. Finding kerosene is a pain in the butt. Any ideas?

BTDT. GTTS.

*I* called delta tech support and asked them. grin

They said 'mineral spiritis', or turpentine, or paint thinner, are all
acceptable substitutes.

They said they recommend kerosene because:
1) it is nearly universally available
2) it is generally the _lowest_price_ of the alternatives.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe_Stein

I bought a new grizzly last July. They recommended orange cleaner. Didn't
work for me. I used a plastic scraper and WD40. Worked great.

"Cap'n 321" wrote in message
et...
Got my new Delta delivered and need to clean the gunk off the tables.
Delta says use kerosene and specifically says not to use gasoline or
acetone. Finding kerosene is a pain in the butt. Any ideas?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark & Juanita

On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 06:05:02 GMT, "CW" wrote:

Standard lantern and camp stove fuel. In Arizona? Got to be everywhere. In
any case, diesel is available.

Never said diesel won't work. Was only responding to the blanket
statement that "kerosene is easily available in most of the civilized
world". Despite my occasional protestations that Tucson may not be part of
the civilized world, my comment was meant to point out that kerosene (in
and of itself as a product sold as "kerosene", not lantern nor camp stove
fuel) is not necessarily easily available all over. Also, isn't camp stove
fuel really white gasoline? Not necessarily something to be using as a
solvent.

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 02:45:26 GMT, "CW" wrote:

Get some diesel fuel. Close enough that you'd never know the difference.

WD
40 also works. BTW, kerosene is easily available in most of the civilized
word. How hard did you look?

Places like Tucson with very little winter have a limited number of
sources. As far as I am aware, there are two places one can get kerosene
here, one place here wanted to charge $8/gallon for a pail of kerosene

last
winter. My normal supplier is much more reasonable but they only carry
kerosene during the winter months and in limited supply.

"Cap'n 321" wrote in message
. net...
Got my new Delta delivered and need to clean the gunk off the tables.
Delta says use kerosene and specifically says not to use gasoline or
acetone. Finding kerosene is a pain in the butt. Any ideas?

-----+

-----+

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

I'd be willing to bet that I could take a flight to Tucson, and, upon
ariving, I could find kerosene withing 1 hour.

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message

Posted to rec.woodworking
George E. Cawthon

Mark & Juanita wrote:
On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 06:05:02 GMT, "CW" wrote:

Standard lantern and camp stove fuel. In Arizona? Got to be everywhere. In
any case, diesel is available.

Never said diesel won't work. Was only responding to the blanket
statement that "kerosene is easily available in most of the civilized
world". Despite my occasional protestations that Tucson may not be part of
the civilized world, my comment was meant to point out that kerosene (in
and of itself as a product sold as "kerosene", not lantern nor camp stove
fuel) is not necessarily easily available all over. Also, isn't camp stove
fuel really white gasoline? Not necessarily something to be using as a
solvent.

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
. ..

On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 02:45:26 GMT, "CW" wrote:

Most of us don't have a clue what all these
different fractions are or how they differ. But
just because something doesn't say it is kerosene,
doesn't mean it isn't kerosene or the next best
thing. They don't call wick type lanterns
kerosene lamps because they burn whale oil. Yuppie
lamps still use kerosene, they just put colors
and smells into it.

I don't know what camp stove fuel is but it acts
just like lighter fluid, excellent for removing
gunky labels. It is not what we use to buy as
"white gas" which, near as I can tell, is regular
gasoline without the coloring and without the
lead. Not too cool to burn gasoline with lead in
it in a camp stove. Course camp fuel will also
work in a gasoline stove. In any case, the camp
fuel I've bought does not act exactly like
gasoline which is less viscous and evaporates faster.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark & Juanita

On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 21:39:12 GMT, "CW" wrote:

[Top posting fixed]
"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 06:05:02 GMT, "CW" wrote:

I'd be willing to bet that I could take a flight to Tucson, and, upon
ariving, I could find kerosene withing 1 hour.

[sigh] As you could note in my original post on this topic, I indicated
that, as best I have been able to find, there are *two* sources for
kerosene in Tucson. One of them is obscenely expensive, the second carries
it as a seasonal item. I didn't say it was impossible to find, only that
it was not as readily available as some alternatives.

Posted to rec.woodworking
AAvK

You will play hell trying to find kero in SoCal.

It's an air quality issue.

Lew

I am in socal, and it's everywhere. Cheap too. But it's in any standard
little hardware store, in those two tone rectangular cans, like dirty yellow
and white colored. I think it costs around $2.99 a quart or so.

--
Alex - "newbie_neander" woodworker
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett

CW wrote:

Figured. Being California though, I thought the unavailability just

might be
true.

At $3.00/qt, AQMD has pretty much obtained it's objective to make
distribution of kero expensive and difficult.

It is the same trick they use to limit VOC based contact cement for
laminate. From memory, think they limit that to pint cans.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message

Most of us don't have a clue what all these different fractions are or how
they differ. But just because something doesn't say it is kerosene,
doesn't mean it isn't kerosene or the next best thing. They don't call
wick type lanterns kerosene lamps because they burn whale oil. Yuppie
lamps still use kerosene, they just put colors and smells into it.

I don't know what camp stove fuel is but it acts just like lighter fluid,
excellent for removing gunky labels. It is not what we use to buy as
"white gas" which, near as I can tell, is regular gasoline without the
coloring and without the lead. Not too cool to burn gasoline with lead in
it in a camp stove. Course camp fuel will also work in a gasoline stove.
In any case, the camp fuel I've bought does not act exactly like gasoline
which is less viscous and evaporates faster.

All that money wasted on printing labels and warnings.

Suppose you and CW could get together over a cigar and discuss the
difference in volatility and flash point between kerosene and camp stove
fuel?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Lew Hodgett wrote:
CW wrote:

Figured. Being California though, I thought the unavailability just might be
true.

At $3.00/qt, AQMD has pretty much obtained it's objective to make
distribution of kero expensive and difficult.

Since I can buy diesel around here for about $2.50 a gallon, that's what I use
in my garage heater. The OP is correct, kerosene can be difficult to find at
times... but diesel never is. Essentially the same stuff....

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Posted to rec.woodworking
dnoyeB

Cap'n 321 wrote:
Got my new Delta delivered and need to clean the gunk off the tables.
Delta says use kerosene and specifically says not to use gasoline or
acetone. Finding kerosene is a pain in the butt. Any ideas?

I clean my tools and other things with Permatex Fast Orange smooth hand
cleaner. It may leave a lotiony residue that you may want to remove
with something like kerosene :P

Seriously though, I use it on my hands and my tools. Heck, generally I
wash both at the same time.

There is also brake cleaner. You can probably find some good stuff at
your local autoparts store.

--
Thank you,

Posted to rec.woodworking
deadlock

"Enoch Root" wrote in message
Cap'n 321 wrote:
Got my new Delta delivered and need to clean the gunk off the tables.
Delta says use kerosene and specifically says not to use gasoline or
acetone. Finding kerosene is a pain in the butt. Any ideas?

Lighter fluid.

Mountain bike citrus degreaser. Water soluble, a 1/2 litre bottle goes a
long way. And, no, I didn't think it would work either. Trip down to your
local bike shop and have a word. Trust me.

Great idea! Water and cast iron should be friends....

We have a new invention over here called towels. That and a little old
fashioned common sense restraint should see you allright.

YQ-95 II Saws type cement concrete road surface crack cleaning machine [email protected] Home Repair 1 June 4th 06 12:20 AM
"Draft Carpet Cleaning FAQ for comments" david lang UK diy 7 November 20th 05 07:29 PM
Carpet Cleaning FAQ david lang UK diy 6 November 20th 05 02:05 AM
Detergents and cleaners FAQ [email protected] UK diy 49 September 25th 05 11:34 PM