DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   What's up with price of solvents? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/151340-whats-up-price-solvents.html)

Seeker March 30th 06 04:00 PM

What's up with price of solvents?

Went to our local Lowes/Home Depot yesterday to purchase a gallon of
mineral spirits and lacquer thinner, WOW! what sticker shock MS= $8/gal
LT= $13/gal, I bought last year at MS=$4, LT=$8.
That's not all of it, went to Sams and again was hit with SS, fish has
gone up 50% since one month ago, toilet paper seems to rise every trip
to Sams at the tune of $1/bundle.

David March 30th 06 04:10 PM

Seeker wrote:

Went to our local Lowes/Home Depot yesterday to purchase a gallon of
mineral spirits and lacquer thinner, WOW! what sticker shock MS= $8/gal
LT= $13/gal, I bought last year at MS=$4, LT=$8.
That's not all of it, went to Sams and again was hit with SS, fish
has gone up 50% since one month ago, toilet paper seems to rise every
trip to Sams at the tune of $1/bundle.

It's called capitalism. :)

Dave

Sailaway March 30th 06 04:56 PM

What's up with price of solvents?

Seeker lamented:
Went to our local Lowes/Home Depot yesterday to purchase a gallon of
mineral spirits and lacquer thinner, WOW! what sticker shock MS= $8/gal
LT= $13/gal, I bought last year at MS=$4, LT=$8.
That's not all of it, went to Sams and again was hit with SS, fish
has gone up 50% since one month ago, toilet paper seems to rise every
trip to Sams at the tune of $1/bundle.

Have you noticed what the price of diesel fuel has gone up to? Yesterday
I saw it at $2.97/gal. Thats the fuel the trucks and trains use to bring
you all those goods. And it ain't getting cheaper...

George March 30th 06 05:17 PM

"David" wrote in message
Seeker wrote:

Went to our local Lowes/Home Depot yesterday to purchase a gallon of
mineral spirits and lacquer thinner, WOW! what sticker shock MS= $8/gal
LT= $13/gal, I bought last year at MS=$4, LT=$8.
That's not all of it, went to Sams and again was hit with SS, fish
has gone up 50% since one month ago, toilet paper seems to rise every
trip to Sams at the tune of $1/bundle.

It's called capitalism. :)

They're called petroleum products.

Dave

George March 30th 06 05:18 PM

"Sailaway" wrote in message

Have you noticed what the price of diesel fuel has gone up to? Yesterday I
saw it at $2.97/gal. Thats the fuel the trucks and trains use to bring you
all those goods. And it ain't getting cheaper...

Bought some for the tractor this morning. Thankfully, it's a lot cheaper
here, especially in OTR.

tom March 30th 06 05:21 PM

What's up with price of solvents?

"What the market will bear." And, if you've paid those prices, you've
reinforced their justification to sell at those prices. Tom

dadiOH March 30th 06 06:07 PM

Seeker wrote:
Went to our local Lowes/Home Depot yesterday to purchase a gallon of
mineral spirits and lacquer thinner, WOW! what sticker shock MS=
$8/gal LT= $13/gal, I bought last year at MS=$4, LT=$8.
That's not all of it, went to Sams and again was hit with SS, fish has
gone up 50% since one month ago, toilet paper seems to rise every trip
to Sams at the tune of $1/bundle.

Can't help you with LT but buy paint thinner instead of mineral
spirits...it's about half (or less) the price of MS where I am.

As for inflation in general, you can thank the federal government for
that...dollars no longer have any backing (FDR removed gold, Nixon
removed silver), feds can print as much as they want, feds are world's
biggest debtors, inflation is good for debtors because payback is with
still cheaper dollars. Look forward to $20 McDonald's hamburgers...

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Robatoy March 30th 06 06:29 PM

What's up with price of solvents?

In article , "George" George@least
wrote:

"David" wrote in message
Seeker wrote:

Went to our local Lowes/Home Depot yesterday to purchase a gallon of
mineral spirits and lacquer thinner, WOW! what sticker shock MS= $8/gal
LT= $13/gal, I bought last year at MS=$4, LT=$8.
That's not all of it, went to Sams and again was hit with SS, fish
has gone up 50% since one month ago, toilet paper seems to rise every
trip to Sams at the tune of $1/bundle.

It's called capitalism. :)

It's called ' a population being harvested for their money'. IOW,
screwed out of their earnings..aside from tax.

They're called petroleum products.

It's called making sure the petroleum products stay 'controlled' in
production by invading an oil-producing country which was threatening to
sell lots of oil, cheap, for Euros.
Oil companies want it that way...that is... if you want their campaign
contributions....

Brian Elfert March 30th 06 06:56 PM

Sailaway writes:

Have you noticed what the price of diesel fuel has gone up to? Yesterday
I saw it at $2.97/gal. Thats the fuel the trucks and trains use to bring
you all those goods. And it ain't getting cheaper...

Where are you that diesel is up to $2.97 a gallon? $2.53 here in
Minnesota and our diesel prices have been pretty high compared to the
rest of the USA for the past six months.

They say high cost of oil has made gasoline prices skyrocket the last few
weeks, but oil prices haven't gone up as much as gasoline has.

Brian Elfert

todd March 30th 06 07:22 PM

wrote:

"David" wrote in message
Seeker wrote:

[...]

All controlled by the Trilateral Commission. Or is it the Illuminati?
Sorry, I'm a little behind on current kook theory. Why would it have been
in Iraq's interest to sell at below the going rate? And wasn't Iraq still
under UN sanctions on sale of oil at the time of the start of hostilities?
Not counting the UN oil-for-bribes program, of course. You're sure it
couldn't be that a) the supply of petroleum is finite and b) worldwide
demand is increasing?

todd

damian penney March 30th 06 08:11 PM

What's up with price of solvents?

It's called making sure the petroleum products stay 'controlled' in
production by invading an oil-producing country which was threatening to
sell lots of oil, cheap, for Euros.
Oil companies want it that way...that is... if you want their campaign
contributions....

All controlled by the Trilateral Commission. Or is it the Illuminati?
Sorry, I'm a little behind on current kook theory. Why would it have been
in Iraq's interest to sell at below the going rate? And wasn't Iraq still
under UN sanctions on sale of oil at the time of the start of hostilities?
Not counting the UN oil-for-bribes program, of course. You're sure it
couldn't be that a) the supply of petroleum is finite and b) worldwide
demand is increasing?

todd

The dollar is the de facto world reserve currency, the more dollars
there are circulating outside the US, or invested by foreign owners in
American assets, the more the rest of the world has to provide the US
with goods and services in exchange for these dollars.

If OPEC or Iraq were to decide to only accept euros for its oil then
American economic dominance would be over. Not only would Europe not
need as many dollars anymore, but Japan which imports over 80% of its
oil from the Middle East, not to mention China, would think it wise to
convert a large portion of its dollar assets to euro assets. America
itself would also have to invest heavily in Euros in order to purchase
oil.

George March 30th 06 08:19 PM

What's up with price of solvents?

"damian penney" wrote in message
oups.com...
If OPEC or Iraq were to decide to only accept euros for its oil then
American economic dominance would be over. Not only would Europe not
need as many dollars anymore, but Japan which imports over 80% of its
oil from the Middle East, not to mention China, would think it wise to
convert a large portion of its dollar assets to euro assets. America
itself would also have to invest heavily in Euros in order to purchase
oil.

Of course you'll never trouble the conspiracy theorists with reality, but we
import most of our oil from our hemisphere, or Africa....

Think that would devalue the dollar enough to make use competitive again?

George March 30th 06 08:20 PM

"dadiOH" wrote in message
Look forward to $20 McDonald's hamburgers...

I remember 12 cent burgers and seven cent fries. No wonder my kids call me
old....

Locutus March 30th 06 09:10 PM

[...]

This is the must absurd thing I have ever heard...... the US doesn't even
get the majority of it's oil from the Middle East.

Tom Nie March 30th 06 10:23 PM

What's up with price of solvents?

If the Cost of Living is only going up 3-4% annually tell me where the
products are that are dropping drastically in price so that that kind of
average can be true.
In my life the cost of fuel and hospitalization are major fixed expenses.
They've been rising more like 3-4% biweekly!

TomNie

Chris Friesen March 30th 06 10:47 PM

Tom Nie wrote:
If the Cost of Living is only going up 3-4% annually tell me where the
products are that are dropping drastically in price so that that kind of
average can be true.

Computers, electronics, appliances, are all dropping in price.

Chris

DouginUtah March 30th 06 11:45 PM

What's up with price of solvents?

That's the CORE inflation rate. It excludes both food and energy costs.

-Doug

====================

David March 30th 06 11:59 PM

Chris Friesen wrote:
Tom Nie wrote:

If the Cost of Living is only going up 3-4% annually tell me where the
products are that are dropping drastically in price so that that kind
of average can be true.

Computers, electronics, appliances, are all dropping in price.

Chris

Woodworking equipment is going up, up, up.
Compare prices in LV catalogs from the past few years. check the prices
on the planes. At the rate they are going up, a little apron plane is
gonna cost $150 soon.

Dave

Robatoy March 31st 06 01:51 AM

What's up with price of solvents?

In article ,
"todd" wrote:

All controlled by the Trilateral Commission. Or is it the Illuminati?
Sorry, I'm a little behind on current kook theory.

I can see that an intelligent discussion with you is highly unlikely.

Why would it have been
in Iraq's interest to sell at below the going rate? And wasn't Iraq still
under UN sanctions on sale of oil at the time of the start of hostilities?
Not counting the UN oil-for-bribes program, of course. You're sure it
couldn't be that a) the supply of petroleum is finite and b) worldwide
demand is increasing?

The finger points at those who profit most. It always does.

But I suppose you have your own ideas why Iraq was invaded?
Please don't share them... I've heard them already.

Seeker March 31st 06 02:09 AM

tom wrote:
"What the market will bear." And, if you've paid those prices, you've
reinforced their justification to sell at those prices. Tom

As for the thinner I had no choice, but I walked on the fish. The toilet
paper is debatable.

Fred March 31st 06 02:16 AM

What's up with price of solvents?

why would you include something as non-esensial as food or energy in the
core inflation rate it would just **** up the calculation then the govments
figures would look bad

todd March 31st 06 04:10 AM

What's up with price of solvents?

"Robatoy" wrote in message
In article ,
"todd" wrote:

Why would it have been
in Iraq's interest to sell at below the going rate? And wasn't Iraq
still
under UN sanctions on sale of oil at the time of the start of
hostilities?
Not counting the UN oil-for-bribes program, of course. You're sure it
couldn't be that a) the supply of petroleum is finite and b) worldwide
demand is increasing?

The finger points at those who profit most. It always does.
But I suppose you have your own ideas why Iraq was invaded?
Please don't share them... I've heard them already.

I thought the subject of this thread was about the price of solvents. If
you want to have a discussion on the Iraq war, start a new thread. As for
the increasing cost of petroleum-based products, my belief is that it has
more to do with supply and demand than a global conspiracy.

todd

Larry Blanchard March 31st 06 06:19 AM

todd wrote:

The finger points at those who profit most. It always does.
But I suppose you have your own ideas why Iraq was invaded?
Please don't share them... I've heard them already.

I thought the subject of this thread was about the price of solvents.*
If you want to have a discussion on the Iraq war, start a new thread.*
As*for the increasing cost of petroleum-based products, my belief is
that it has more to do with supply and demand than a global
conspiracy.

I get a little tired of hearing about "supply and demand" - just a
synonym for greed.

If I can make a good living selling widgets at $100 each, why, other
than greed, should I increase my price if people want more than I'm
producing?

--
It's turtles, all the way down

George March 31st 06 12:45 PM

"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message
I get a little tired of hearing about "supply and demand" - just a
synonym for greed.

If I can make a good living selling widgets at $100 each, why, other
than greed, should I increase my price if people want more than I'm
producing?

It would help if you understood that what you demand is not what counts.
When someone offers $105 for one of those scarce widgets she's just got to
have ... that's the one that counts.

Mike Marlow March 31st 06 01:51 PM

"Seeker" wrote in message
Went to our local Lowes/Home Depot yesterday to purchase a gallon of
mineral spirits and lacquer thinner, WOW! what sticker shock MS= $8/gal
LT= $13/gal, I bought last year at MS=$4, LT=$8.
That's not all of it, went to Sams and again was hit with SS, fish has
gone up 50% since one month ago, toilet paper seems to rise every trip
to Sams at the tune of $1/bundle.

I buy my solvents in bulk so I haven't seen the price increases. Haven't
had to buy any for a while. You really might want to consider buying your
lacquer thinner from autobody supply houses. I don't know what regional
pricing difference may prevail, but around here a gallon on lacquer thinner
was selling at around $9 at places like Ace Hardware and I was buying it in
5 gallon cans for $20-25 depending on which supplier I used. There is a big
savings to be had by buying even as small a quantity as a 5 gallon can,
versus buying it by the gallon.

--

-Mike-

Seeker March 31st 06 02:22 PM

Mike Marlow wrote:
"Seeker" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the advice I will check Ace hardware and auto paint supply
houses.

Robatoy March 31st 06 03:00 PM

wrote:

"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message
I get a little tired of hearing about "supply and demand" - just a
synonym for greed.

If I can make a good living selling widgets at $100 each, why, other
than greed, should I increase my price if people want more than I'm
producing?

It would help if you understood that what you demand is not what counts.
When someone offers $105 for one of those scarce widgets she's just got to
have ... that's the one that counts.

That's naive.
What counts is the 'short-'n-curlies' syndrome. AKA greed.
Drug dealers operate on the same principle. Get the user dependant then
jack up the price. IOW.. it's the oil company shareholders who want a
better ROI. Greed. Artificial shortages. Hoarding.
As soon as supplying nations like Iraq, Iran or Venezuela want their
fair share of profits to supply the demands of the SUV addicted, they
get black-listed via the propaganda machines owned and operated by the
cartels/PACs/campaign contributors. Especially when they chose to change
their fiat currency to the Euro, in fact sinking the very thing that is
holding up the US dollar.
Then again, what-the-hell do I know.

Chuck Taylor March 31st 06 03:42 PM

What's up with price of solvents?

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 21:19:05 -0800, Larry Blanchard
wrote:

I get a little tired of hearing about "supply and demand" - just a
synonym for greed.

If I can make a good living selling widgets at $100 each, why, other
than greed, should I increase my price if people want more than I'm
producing?

Among other reasons...

--More revenue means growing capital more quickly in order to expand,
something most businesses want to do.

--More revenue means more that you're able to give away to your
favorite cause.

--
Chuck Taylor
http://home.hiwaay.net/~taylorc/contact/

Cyrille de Brébisson March 31st 06 04:20 PM

What's up with price of solvents?

Hello,

I get a little tired of hearing about "supply and demand" - just a
synonym for greed.

If I can make a good living selling widgets at $100 each, why, other
than greed, should I increase my price if people want more than I'm
producing?

Because it is the duty of a Corporation to maximize the shareholders
investment.
Greed (profit maximization) is the Corporate DNA and only intrinsic rule,
all the other rules were imposed on the corporation by goverments who soon
discovered that left to it's own, this "legal entity" would act as a
sociopath and destroy everything around it.

rent the movie: "The Corporation" for more information.

cyrille

Cyrille de Brébisson March 31st 06 04:23 PM

What's up with price of solvents?

Hello,

--More revenue means growing capital more quickly in order to expand,
something most businesses want to do.

--More revenue means more that you're able to give away to your
favorite cause.

Yeah Right...
I hear the same things from conservative who say "let non profit take care
of social issues, if I paid less taxes, I would give more"...

in reality, if you made, let's say an extra 10%, you would give only 5%
more, (in best case scenario), but in the end, you get more money... Greed.

cyrille

Locutus March 31st 06 04:59 PM

todd wrote:

The finger points at those who profit most. It always does.
But I suppose you have your own ideas why Iraq was invaded?
Please don't share them... I've heard them already.

I thought the subject of this thread was about the price of solvents.
If you want to have a discussion on the Iraq war, start a new thread.
As for the increasing cost of petroleum-based products, my belief is
that it has more to do with supply and demand than a global
conspiracy.

I get a little tired of hearing about "supply and demand" - just a
synonym for greed.

I didn't have to look at your headers to tell that you are not from the
United States.

If I can make a good living selling widgets at $100 each, why, other
than greed, should I increase my price if people want more than I'm
producing?

You should price your product so your production capacity meets demand.
Otherwise you are just giving away money. You are certainly free to do that,
but if you are a public corporation, you should be fired if you do that.

More profit also means you can expand capacity, therefore reducing your
product cost long term while maximizing your profit.

Making money is not a bad word. Make all you can, life is short. If you are
trying to make too much, someone else will come in and sell your widget for
less. That is the beauty of capitalism.

Leon March 31st 06 05:04 PM

What's up with price of solvents?

"damian penney" wrote in message
oups.com...

If OPEC or Iraq were to decide to only accept euros for its oil then
American economic dominance would be over.

Not likely as only 10% of our oil comes from the Middle East although the
Middle East sets the prices for oil pretty much world wide.

Leon March 31st 06 05:08 PM

"Tom Nie" wrote in message
If the Cost of Living is only going up 3-4% annually tell me where the
products are that are dropping drastically in price so that that kind of
average can be true.

COMPUTERS, Printers, Electronics in general, Automobiles,

John Flatley March 31st 06 05:11 PM

What's up with price of solvents?

Is viewing the movie "The Corporation" better than an
understanding of basic economics?

Movies ALWAYS tell the truth. Don't they?

Jack
--
I'm not a complete idiot - several parts are missing.

"Cyrille de Brébisson" wrote in
message ...

Leon March 31st 06 05:12 PM

What's up with price of solvents?

"David" wrote in message
. ..

Woodworking equipment is going up, up, up.
Compare prices in LV catalogs from the past few years. check the prices
on the planes. At the rate they are going up, a little apron plane is
gonna cost $150 soon.

IMHO wood working tools are still a bargain. Wood working equipment is
cheap compared to other equipment. Try to buy an air conditioning
replacement part that is built with the precision of an LV plane and you
will spend tons more. I think ww equipment is simply catching up.

Leon March 31st 06 05:15 PM

What's up with price of solvents?

"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message

I get a little tired of hearing about "supply and demand" - just a
synonym for greed.

If I can make a good living selling widgets at $100 each, why, other
than greed, should I increase my price if people want more than I'm
producing?

So do you "not" have any money set aside for a rainy day or are you greedy?

Larry Blanchard March 31st 06 05:27 PM

Locutus wrote:

I didn't have to look at your headers to tell that you are not from
the United States.

BZZZZZZT! Wrong!

--
It's turtles, all the way down

Larry Blanchard March 31st 06 05:30 PM

Leon wrote:

If I can make a good living selling widgets at $100 each, why, other
than greed, should I increase my price if people want more than I'm
producing?

So do you "not" have any money set aside for a rainy day or are you
greedy?

Did it not cross your mind that savings might have been included in that
$100 price?

--
It's turtles, all the way down

David March 31st 06 05:37 PM

What's up with price of solvents?

Leon wrote:

"David" wrote in message
. ..

Woodworking equipment is going up, up, up.
Compare prices in LV catalogs from the past few years. check the prices
on the planes. At the rate they are going up, a little apron plane is
gonna cost $150 soon.

IMHO wood working tools are still a bargain. Wood working equipment is
cheap compared to other equipment. Try to buy an air conditioning
replacement part that is built with the precision of an LV plane and you
will spend tons more. I think ww equipment is simply catching up.

yeah, but...room a/c's cost a heck of a lot less now than they did say
30 years ago. I just got an a/c for my shop of $139. One a bit bigger,
back in 1971 was more than double that price. Plus, the new one has a
remote. :) After my PG&E rebate, my out of pocket for my a/c was a mere
$89+tax.

Dave