Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Default 15 ga nails don't measure right

I've got PC 15 ga nails which I just measured at .072" That's roughly
13 ga. Can someone mic their 15 ga nails and let me know what they
measure?

The reason I'm checking is I want a smaller nailer but the pin nailers
go up to only 1" or 1-3/16", so I thought about ordering an 18 ga
nailer. Because my 15 ga nails seem like 13 ga, I might not find the
18 ga nails thin enough.

dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
David

David wrote:

NEVER MIND!!!!

I just found out there is metal gauge and WIRE gauge. the nails must be
"wire" gauge. 15 ga wire is .072 which is what I measured.

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
Pop

"David" wrote in message
David wrote:

NEVER MIND!!!!

I just found out there is metal gauge and WIRE gauge. the
nails must be "wire" gauge. 15 ga wire is .072 which is what I
measured.

Dave

Aww, and I thought I was going to get to sound SOOO smart! g.
Glad it worked out.

Pop

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article ,
David wrote:

David wrote:

NEVER MIND!!!!

I just found out there is metal gauge and WIRE gauge. the nails must be
"wire" gauge. 15 ga wire is .072 which is what I measured.

Dave

Yabbut, yabbut... that doesn't solve the issue that 18 ga nails are
still honkin' big things.. it's the heads that leave cavernous pits in
anything you nail.

I did learn something about pinners. The bulk of jamming incidents which
seem to be a problem across all brands, has to do with the loading of
the nails. It is very difficult to see the chisel end of a strip of
pins. Put them in upside down, and the driver goes either one side or
the other side of the pin and jams, the weaker/cheaper versions breaking
the drivers in the process. I talked to a couple of pinner users who
haven't had any jamming problems ever. One suggested to get a jeweller's
loupe and check for orientation each time you load. Other say that some
have obscure markings indicating direction. FYI, FWIW.

ALSO!!.. The Craftsman pinner is the same as Nikle the and is highly
recommended. (...by the enforcers of the IRS who are always trying to
pin something on somebody....groan)