Posted to rec.woodworking
Tim Taylor

Default whirligig

Would anybody happen to have a link for a plan for a five bladed
woodchopper/hammer whirligig that they would give up? I've searched
relentlessly for 2 days. I'd be willing to buy it if it was downloadable.
Why it has to be 5 bladed is beyond me, it's for my dad. He has no computer
and don't want one. Many thanks if anyone could be of help.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Martie in MO

Tim Taylor wrote:
Would anybody happen to have a link for a plan for a five bladed
woodchopper/hammer whirligig that they would give up? I've searched
relentlessly for 2 days. I'd be willing to buy it if it was downloadable.
Why it has to be 5 bladed is beyond me, it's for my dad. He has no computer
and don't want one. Many thanks if anyone could be of help.

Tim, have you considered buying one of the plans that's out there for a
4 bladed version then modifying it for a 5 blade setup? That shouldn't
be too difficult to do, just a matter of spacing the vanes equally on
the wheel.

Martie in Mo
Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour

Tim Taylor wrote:
Would anybody happen to have a link for a plan for a five bladed
woodchopper/hammer whirligig that they would give up? I've searched
relentlessly for 2 days. I'd be willing to buy it if it was downloadable.
Why it has to be 5 bladed is beyond me, it's for my dad. He has no computer
and don't want one. Many thanks if anyone could be of help.

Interesting about the five blades. Most ceiling fans have five blades
to reduce resonant vibration - doubtful that would be a problem with a
whirligig. I'd be interested to find out your Dad's reasoning. The
two things that come to mind are esthetics or maybe he thinks that the
whirligig would be less likely to get hung up in a dead spot (though I
don't think that's true).

Here're some five bladed whirligigs (no plans, sorry):
First one has five wood blades inserted in a hub - probably the easiest
way to do wood blades.
http://www.carloszapataautomata.com/pages/lostgly.htm
This one has a five bladed metal prop, which is probably the easiest
way to do the prop.
http://www.duncraft.com/merchant.iht...atid=34&step=4