Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

Default What is it? CVI

This week's set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Norman D. Crow

"R.H." wrote in message
. ..
This week's set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

612 Looks like a film feed sprocket from a movie projector(a full size
35mm one).

613 Bottle "capper".

614 You have to be raised around horses. This is the metal link from the
end of an "evener". This, and it's mate, one made in mirror image, are
pressed into the ends of the wood piece, and then the "tug chains" from the
harness are slipped over the "t" shaped end. The chains have elongated
links, and you can see the wear on this piece from the chain pulling on it.

615 ?

616 ?

617 Hanger bolt. Lag screw thread on one end goes into wood, regular
thread on other end accepts a nut for mounting almost anything to wood.

--
Nahmie
The only road to success is always under construction.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Paul K. Dickman

"R.H." wrote in message
. ..
This week's set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

615 is a window blind cutter
616 Best guess would be an electric cigar lighter

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Fred R

Paul K. Dickman wrote:
"R.H." wrote in message
. ..
This week's set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

615 is a window blind cutter
616 Best guess would be an electric cigar lighter

Paul K. Dickman

Ah -- the roll-up kind. Matches the relatively light construction of the
cutter blade.

The cigar lighter makes sense too, although it is still absurdly risky
by today's standards.

--
Fred R
"It doesn't really take all kinds; there just *are* all kinds".
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Fred R

R.H. wrote:
This week's set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Is 615 a tubing cutter?

--
Fred R
"It doesn't really take all kinds; there just *are* all kinds".
Drop TROU to email.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
sewiv

615 - pipe cutter, I agree. Maybe pipe threader?
616 - just plain dangerous.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Fred R

R.H. wrote:
This week's set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

616 Some kind of quack medical device? Looks to me that all it could do
is to send a blast of heat as the user's face, who would be holding the
button and 'facing' considerable risk.

--
Fred R
"It doesn't really take all kinds; there just *are* all kinds".
Drop TROU to email.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Rob

"R.H." wrote in message
. ..
This week's set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

616. Carbon granual microphone - carbon & hoder missing?

rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
DT

#616 is an electric cigarette lighter. I collect ones that are made of glass,
there are dozens of variations.

Dennis

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Barbara Bailey

#613: crown capper

#617: the coarse end screws into a piece of wood, the fine thread end
takes a standard machine nut, to spice the wood to the metal. Often
used to attach a wooden handle to something (like a frying pan.)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Devonshire

On the day of Thu, 16 Mar 2006 09:38:38 GMT...
"R.H."
typed these letters:

This week's set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

613's a bottle capper like Norman said. I've got one a bit fancier
that the one shown that I've use for bottling beer. It may also be
use to push corks in wine bottles. I haven't tried it. Mine reaches
long neck beer bottles fine. But I have to put a block of wood under
a short neck bottle to cap it. Mine is the same color... Rust/Red.

I'd call 617 a wood stud. But i've never seen one.

The rest is a mystery.

Devonshire
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Leo Lichtman

612--35mm film sprocket. Could be from a camera or a projector
613--Bottle capper
614--The end of a "single-tree" or "double tree." The horses pull on this
to pull whatever it is they are pulling.
615--Window shade trimmer. I used to have one in my paint store.
616--Looks to me like a phone or mike. With no receiver hook, more likely a
mike. Could also be a stand for a speaker, with the horn missing. Cigar
lighter? Hadn't thought of that.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Norman D. Crow

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message
612--35mm film sprocket. Could be from a camera or a projector
613--Bottle capper
614--The end of a "single-tree" or "double tree." The horses pull on this
to pull whatever it is they are pulling.

That's it! You think the brain could come up with single or double-tree this
morning?

--
Nahmie
The only road to success is always under construction.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
DoN. Nichols

According to R.H. :
This week's set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking again.

612) A sprocket for feeding 35mm film. Probably as movie film
since those in cameras are a lot smaller in diameter. Whether
this one was used in a camera, a projector, on in some form of
editing setup, or perhaps even in a processing machine remains
unclear, but 35mm film it is. The length you specify (1-3/8")
is 33.68mm just below the 35mm film width -- 33.68mm

613) Bottle capper -- for the kind of caps which you used to find on
beer and soda bottles, before so much went to either cans, or
screw-on plastic caps.

614) I don't think that the edge was *ever* sharp. This was
designed to be driven onto the end of a wooden handle with a
slot sawed in the end. The built-in wedge would spread the wood
causing the head (whatever it is) to firmly lock itself onto the
handle.

As to what *function* it served? I really don't know, but it
looks as though it is designed to be slipped over a rope or a
steel cable, and be used to guide it. I suspect the steel
cable, given the wear evident at the turn of the crook.

615) A machine designed to cut a roller blind to the proper length
for a given window. You make allowances for the fitting on the
end, and feed it through the spring fingers until the blade is
aligned with the cut point, and then start cranking. It will
cut through the blind material, and into the wood on which it is
assembled. I'm not sure whether it would cut all the way to the
center, or whether it would need to be assisted by a hacksaw at
the end.

616) O.K. Some kind of electrically powered heater -- apparently
switched by the button half way up the column. Given the size
and the orientation, I would guess that it was used to light
cigars -- no sulfur smell, unlike matches.

617) A stud to go into wood, and to allow a machine nut to be
screwed onto the more distant end (in the photo) to secure
something to the wood in a removable fashion. One possibility
would be the legs for a dining table, to allow it to be packaged
up neatly for transportation.

Now -- to see what others have guessed.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

614) I don't think that the edge was *ever* sharp. This was
designed to be driven onto the end of a wooden handle with a
slot sawed in the end. The built-in wedge would spread the wood
causing the head (whatever it is) to firmly lock itself onto the
handle.

You may be right, it would make more sense to saw the wood first. I had
shown this to a number of people before posting here and guesses included:

nut cracker
wood splitter
clothes line pole top
plant stalk splitter

Looks like I showed it to too many city slickers.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
DoN. Nichols

According to R.H. :
614) I don't think that the edge was *ever* sharp. This was
designed to be driven onto the end of a wooden handle with a
slot sawed in the end. The built-in wedge would spread the wood
causing the head (whatever it is) to firmly lock itself onto the
handle.

You may be right, it would make more sense to saw the wood first. I had
shown this to a number of people before posting here and guesses included:

nut cracker
wood splitter
clothes line pole top
plant stalk splitter

Looks like I showed it to too many city slickers.

I grew up with a horse in the back yard, but it was never
hitched to anything for drawing, so I did not have any familiarity with
the equipment used in that.

Of the four guesses listed above, I would have only considered
the clothes line pole top to be a possible, and not very probable, as it
was too good for the purpose. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

P.S. I've been collecting things to photograph to supply you with some
more strange items.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

P.S. I've been collecting things to photograph to supply you with some
more strange items.

Sounds good, send them to me whenever you get around to shooting them, I've
got enough items to last a while but I always enjoy seeing new things.
Anyone else should also feel free to send photos to me if they have
something appropriate for the site.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Mark & Juanita

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 09:38:38 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

This week's set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

612
613 Bottle capper
614 Looks like part of an old harness haine (haime?)
615 Machine to make rope. Takes three strands and twists them together
to make a stronger rope
616 Looks like an old heater of some sort, but missing a part
617 Fastener. Course thread goes into wood and allows using the fine
thread with a nut

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

Once again, it didn't take long for all of them to be correctly answered:

612. 35mm film sprocket

613. Bottle capper

614. Singletree end piece, thanks to those who identified this, once I knew
where it came from I was
able to find similar ones still attached to the wood.

615. Shade cutter, didn't expect anyone to get this one...

616. Cigar lighter

617. Hanger bolt

More photos and a couple of links have been posted on the answer page:

http://pzphotosan108.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Sawney Beane

R.H. wrote:
Once again, it didn't take long for all of them to be correctly answered:

615. Shade cutter, didn't expect anyone to get this one...

I saw one as a boy, at Woolworth's, I think.

616. Cigar lighter

If it were designed to pick up and light a cigar, wouldn't it have a
single recessed heating coil for safety? Wouldn't it be shaped like a
candle with a big base, to simplify use and reduce the chance of being
knocked over?

The protruding dual element would be necessary for pipes. The disk
reduces the chance of an accident with the protruding element..

In 1831, Charles Sauria added white phosphorus to matches to remove the
odor. That was a humanitarian disaster. Match workers would die of
gangrene of the jaw. Children working in match factories would go
bald. A baby who put a match in his mouth could suffer permanent
deformities. A book of matches had enough phosphorous for murder or
suicide.

I think it wasn't the toxicity or the smell but the taste that put off
smokers. Late in the 19th Century, cigars were more popular than
cigarettes are today. Cigarettes came in five-packs.
Consumption was low because it was hard to find a light. Cigars were
more convenient because they stayed lit longer.

In 1898, two Frenchmen patented phosphorous sesquisulfide and began
making nontoxic matches. Albright and Wilson bought the patent and
began making the chemical in America in 1901. Match manufacturers
continued using phosphorous until 1910, when Congress banned it and
canceled the patent on phosphorous sesquisulfide. After that,
cigarettes became very popular.

Pipe smokers use a lot more matches than cigar smokers, so a hundred
years ago the pipe smoker was the guy who really needed an electric
lighter.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

If it were designed to pick up and light a cigar, wouldn't it have a
single recessed heating coil for safety? Wouldn't it be shaped like a
candle with a big base, to simplify use and reduce the chance of being
knocked over?

Yes, it does seem like the heating elements were made to fit into a pipe, it
was marked cigar lighter so that was my default answer. I found an old
advertisement on ebay for one of these, in the ad they don't limit
themselves to any particular type of smoke, it says "For cigar, cigarette
and pipe":

http://cgi.ebay.com/1926-HOLD-HEET-E...ayphotohosting

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
blutoof

"R.H." wrote in message
. ..

If it were designed to pick up and light a cigar, wouldn't it have a
single recessed heating coil for safety? Wouldn't it be shaped like a
candle with a big base, to simplify use and reduce the chance of being
knocked over?

Yes, it does seem like the heating elements were made to fit into a pipe,
it
was marked cigar lighter so that was my default answer. I found an old
advertisement on ebay for one of these, in the ad they don't limit
themselves to any particular type of smoke, it says "For cigar, cigarette
and pipe":

http://cgi.ebay.com/1926-HOLD-HEET-E...ayphotohosting

Rob

From RCM
nothing to do with the puzzles but I was stunned and incredibly pleased to
seethe advert for "The Way Things Go". My VHS copy (taped off PBS )wore out
from the number of people who borrowed it.

the DVD will be ordered within the week.

V McNeil
--
--------
There is no such thing as thanks in advance