Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking
bent

Default My own stupid electrical question / filling hole in concrete floor

I am doing a Renovation in the basement. Where the Copper water pipe goes
down vertically into the ground, the concrete floor is missing. there is a
7" trapezoidal gap in the pour. I have partially covered it with the 2x4"
flat to the floor that is part of a new stud wall. but the hole still juts
out. The hole sticks into what is to be a finished tiled floor I will do
shortly diagonally 1.5" x 3". Then on the other side of a 2x2" partition
wall the hole continues about another 6"x6". There is also the main ground
wire from the fuse box screwed to the same copper water pipe about an inch
above concrete level. However the bare wire low gauge crimp clip which
attaches the wire to the pipe with a wrap around steel clamp and bolt is
kinked right off, and I have mashed the bare twisted wire just into the main
water shut off tap wheel. It is all right at the water meter.

Two questions:

1) Can I fill this hole with concrete (or how much of the hole). It is
quite a noticeable gap, with nothing but dirt a few inches down. A little
of this hole is on the edge of a new tile floor I'll be doing. I'd like to
fill it (all) in. Is there any reason not to wrap an 1/16"- 1/8" flexible
whatever around the water pipe, and fill it up.

2) What if any danger am I in handling the bare ground wire for a while
to re-crimp/clamp without shutting off the main power?