Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob

Default PC 556 biscuit jointer & FF biscuits

I have the good fortune to own and use a Porter Cable 556
biscuit jointer. I would like to use FF biscuits and have
noticed that PC makes a 2" 4-tooth blade with a 7/8"
arbor for the newer model 557 jointer. Has anyone used
the 2" blade on their 556 jointer? I hate to spend
$50 on a blade that won't work.

Posted to rec.woodworking
BillyBob

"Bob" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have the good fortune to own and use a Porter Cable 556
biscuit jointer. I would like to use FF biscuits and have
noticed that PC makes a 2" 4-tooth blade with a 7/8"
arbor for the newer model 557 jointer. Has anyone used
the 2" blade on their 556 jointer? I hate to spend
$50 on a blade that won't work.

Note there is more than just a blade change that makes the 557 work. It has
some additional adjustments and stops that are specific to the 2" blade.
Some of these are for safety. I believe it would be unsafe to use the
smaller blade in a machine not designed to use it.

Bob

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article .com,
"Bob" wrote:

I have the good fortune to own and use a Porter Cable 556
biscuit jointer. I would like to use FF biscuits and have
noticed that PC makes a 2" 4-tooth blade with a 7/8"
arbor for the newer model 557 jointer. Has anyone used
the 2" blade on their 556 jointer? I hate to spend
$50 on a blade that won't work.

My understanding is that the amount of travel in the sliding part is
insufficient for the small blade to reach out far enough for a complete
plunge. I am reasonably certain that it was the 556 which was under
discussion at the time. It is also the reason why the FF blade won't
work with other machines.
A quick check with a tape measure will verify that.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article . net,
"BillyBob" wrote:

"Bob" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have the good fortune to own and use a Porter Cable 556
biscuit jointer. I would like to use FF biscuits and have
noticed that PC makes a 2" 4-tooth blade with a 7/8"
arbor for the newer model 557 jointer. Has anyone used
the 2" blade on their 556 jointer? I hate to spend
$50 on a blade that won't work.

Note there is more than just a blade change that makes the 557 work. It has
some additional adjustments and stops that are specific to the 2" blade.
Some of these are for safety. I believe it would be unsafe to use the
smaller blade in a machine not designed to use it.

Bob

The safety thing is to stop the bigger blade from coming out too far.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Bob" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have the good fortune to own and use a Porter Cable 556
biscuit jointer. I would like to use FF biscuits and have
noticed that PC makes a 2" 4-tooth blade with a 7/8"
arbor for the newer model 557 jointer. Has anyone used
the 2" blade on their 556 jointer? I hate to spend
$50 on a blade that won't work.

I bought the 556 in 1989 and while it used it a lot, the 557 is much better.
Worth the extra $150 to buy it.

Biscuit Jointer flash UK diy 8 November 20th 05 02:15 PM
Biscuit jointer Chuck Hoffman Woodworking 3 February 7th 05 05:22 PM
A Few Notes on My New Grizzly G1018HW 8" jointer Darrell Woodworking 5 March 5th 04 12:19 AM
Which Biscuit Jointer? Reader UK diy 9 February 5th 04 05:50 PM
Mounted biscuit jointer JR Woodworking 3 December 7th 03 06:55 PM