Posted to rec.woodworking
gary in virginia

Default Ataboy Hitachi

I bought a Hitachi 12V router about a year ago. I removed the plunger
springs and mounted it in the side table of my Unisaw. I installed the
Height Adjustment Knob that came with it as a bonus. After about four or
five times laying the router on its side to remove the bit, the knob broke
in half. Actually the whole knob broke off about half way down the shaft,
where the plastic joins the metal. I have been using half of a Height
Adjustment Knob for some time now.

The other day, I looked up Hitachi on the web and sent them an email telling
them in a pleasant way my disappointment in the quality of their "Knob". I
really didn't expect to hear anything back from them. To my pleasant
surprise, yesterday FedEx dropped off a package to me containing a brand new
Height Adjustment Knob. These things are $24.99 at Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013

Apparently Hitachi has had a lot of problems with the knob shaft breaking
because the new one's shaft is solid metal. I imagine it is much more
substantial than the old design. I am very pleased with Hitachi's customer
support. Thank you Hitachi.

Gary in Virginia

Posted to rec.woodworking
dnoyeB

gary in virginia wrote:
[...]

Bravo

\o/

--
Thank you,

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark & Juanita

On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 18:11:40 GMT, "gary in virginia"
remove the (NOSPAM) wrote:

.... snip

The other day, I looked up Hitachi on the web and sent them an email telling
them in a pleasant way my disappointment in the quality of their "Knob". I
really didn't expect to hear anything back from them. To my pleasant
surprise, yesterday FedEx dropped off a package to me containing a brand new
Height Adjustment Knob. These things are $24.99 at Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013

Apparently Hitachi has had a lot of problems with the knob shaft breaking
because the new one's shaft is solid metal. I imagine it is much more
substantial than the old design. I am very pleased with Hitachi's customer
support. Thank you Hitachi.

Every company and product has its weak points that get caught only when
being used in the real world by real people. It is definitely a credit to
Hitachi that they both owned up to the problem and fixed it.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article ,
Mark & Juanita wrote:

It is definitely a credit to
Hitachi that they both owned up to the problem and fixed it.

A good tool and good service...but their styling dept???.*G*
Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg G.

Robatoy said:

In article ,
Mark & Juanita wrote:

It is definitely a credit to
Hitachi that they both owned up to the problem and fixed it.

A good tool and good service...but their styling dept???.*G*

Ex-NBA / Nike stylists... Really turned me off of their tools.
But that's just me. :-\

Greg G.

Posted to rec.woodworking

OK, I guess it's time for me to admit it. I've been reading these
comments all over the web and print magazines, re Hitachi's new styling
which seems to be pretty universally despised.

I like it. I think it looks really cool. When I first saw them, they
reminded me of my reaction to the the first Dewalt tools I saw many
years ago: "Wow. Yellow. That looks really cool. I wonder if the
tools are any good?"

IOW, they've had their intended effect on me: I would never BUY a tool
because of its style (I hope I wouldn't), but the style got me to
NOTICE the tool in field crowded with weekly new product line
introductions.

I've actually been a little dissapointed that their tools are not
faring quite as well in the reviews I've read as I would have hoped.
Their huge honkin' 12" SCMS has gotten mixed reviews in print and on
Amazon. That's too bad, 'cause like I said, I think they look so damn
cool. When Dewalt came out I like the yellow. But they were also
great tools.

Brad

Greg G. wrote: