Posted to rec.woodworking
Al

Default Exterior wipe-on oil

I'm refinishing a small drop leaf table I made for SWMBO to put outdooors.
I tried Minwax Helmsman clear satin which looked great for awhile then it
started to flack off after being in the sun.

Top is cedar and base of hickory. I saw on HGTV someone putting on a
wipe-on oil finish but didn't catch the brand. Anyone had any experience
with such a product? Like to put on something that will last at least a
year outside. We're in the NW with lots of rain but it sits under the patio
roof so gets lots of sun and no rain.

I've researched several products but I really don't trust the advertising,
rather go on someones experience.

Thanks in advance.
Al in WA

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Balderstone

In article , Al
wrote:

Top is cedar and base of hickory. I saw on HGTV someone putting on a
wipe-on oil finish but didn't catch the brand. Anyone had any experience
with such a product? Like to put on something that will last at least a
year outside. We're in the NW with lots of rain but it sits under the patio
roof so gets lots of sun and no rain.

I used boiled linseed oil on my adirondack-style chair that sits
outside all summer. Apply early in the season and give it a week to
cure. Reapply every spring.

--
Talking about art is like dancing about architecture - Frank Zappa
Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Mahanke

General Finishes "Outdoor Oil". Has UV screen, heat stablizers, and
fungicide or anti whatever (keeps that lovely green stuff from growing on
it). Its a penatrationing oil, doesn't build a film, and can be refreshed
when it starts looking a bit dried out. I used it on a set of redwood gates
I built for a client and his only complaint after 2 years was the gates
weren't turning that nice silver color like weathered redwood is supposed
to. They were still beautiful and red like new.

"Al" wrote in message
I'm refinishing a small drop leaf table I made for SWMBO to put outdooors.
I tried Minwax Helmsman clear satin which looked great for awhile then it
started to flack off after being in the sun.

Top is cedar and base of hickory. I saw on HGTV someone putting on a
wipe-on oil finish but didn't catch the brand. Anyone had any experience
with such a product? Like to put on something that will last at least a
year outside. We're in the NW with lots of rain but it sits under the

patio
roof so gets lots of sun and no rain.

I've researched several products but I really don't trust the advertising,
rather go on someones experience.

Thanks in advance.
Al in WA

Posted to rec.woodworking
B a r r y

Al wrote:

I've researched several products but I really don't trust the advertising,
rather go on someones experience.

Olympic Maximum

The cedar tint is better than the clear regarding UV protection.

Barry
Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Drackman

"Max Mahanke" wrote in message
ink.net...
General Finishes "Outdoor Oil". Has UV screen, heat stablizers, and
fungicide or anti whatever (keeps that lovely green stuff from growing on
it). Its a penatrationing oil, doesn't build a film, and can be refreshed
when it starts looking a bit dried out. I used it on a set of redwood
gates
I built for a client and his only complaint after 2 years was the gates
weren't turning that nice silver color like weathered redwood is supposed
to. They were still beautiful and red like new.

I am also in the NW and use General Finishes Outdoor Oil. I have the same
comments as above.