Posted to rec.woodworking
J T

Default "HIRED MAN"

http://www.sawdustmaking.com/Hired%20Man/hiredman.html

I am not the one that makes up the names.

JOAT
Never go to bed angry. Stay up and plot your revenge.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg G.

J T said:

http://www.sawdustmaking.com/Hired%20Man/hiredman.html

I am not the one that makes up the names.

When much younger, I worked in various automotive garages and machine
shops. This very stand was a staple in many of the old timer's shops.

JOAT
Never go to bed angry. Stay up and plot your revenge.

I don't - I stay up and write another chapter in the book.
No matter that it's taken 18 years to get it to print.
Revenge is a dish best served cold. ;-)

Greg G.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

J T wrote:
http://www.sawdustmaking.com/Hired%20Man/hiredman.html

I am not the one that makes up the names.

I'm reminded of a table someone provided a link to, a couple months ago,
that incorporated a brakedrum in the design...

And, "hired man" is better than "slave"... unless you like to kick
yours, or want to sell it.

er
--
email not valid
Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 11:14:09 -0500, (J T)
wrote:

http://www.sawdustmaking.com/Hired%20Man/hiredman.html

I've got about 3 of these things, in different sizes. I'd be absolutely
lost without them. Making your own with a nice heavy casting at the
base (brake drum is great) is much better than anything lightweight you
might buy.

While you've got the welder out though, put a T bar handle on that
thumbscrew, not just an oval.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg G.

Enoch Root said:

J T wrote:
http://www.sawdustmaking.com/Hired%20Man/hiredman.html

I am not the one that makes up the names.

I'm reminded of a table someone provided a link to, a couple months ago,
that incorporated a brakedrum in the design...

And, "hired man" is better than "slave"... unless you like to kick
yours, or want to sell it.

We used the misnomer "Third Hand" and my personal fav was "Big Dummy".
Although the latter term often led to confusion when three warm bodies
responded to a call for the "Big Dummy". :-\

Greg G.

Posted to rec.woodworking
John B

J T wrote:
http://www.sawdustmaking.com/Hired%20Man/hiredman.html

I am not the one that makes up the names.

JOAT
Never go to bed angry. Stay up and plot your revenge.

When on the farm we had a number of these, Dad called the "Mates".
Instead of brake drums on the base we used plough disks.
Thinking back, plough disks where indispensable. They made BBQ's,Bases
for all types of contraptions, chook feeders, dairy heaters etc.

regards
John
Posted to rec.woodworking
W Canaday

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 14:35:56 -0500, Greg G. wrote:

J T said:

http://www.sawdustmaking.com/Hired%20Man/hiredman.html

I am not the one that makes up the names.

When much younger, I worked in various automotive garages and machine
shops. This very stand was a staple in many of the old timer's shops.

JOAT

When working as a machinist, these were an absolute given on the cut-off
end of the bandsaws.