Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Tylicki

Default Cabinetmasters

Last week I was laminating up two layers of rock maple for my new workbench
frame. I did two assemblies at a time (i.e. four pieces total) figuring
that would give me more even clamping pressure with the greater thickness,
plus it makes your clamps go twice as far. In trying to determine a
favorite, I've purchase 4-8 each of the Bessey K's, Cabinetmasters and Gross
Stabil PC2s. I don't have any of the new Jet parralels, but they look
interesting.

Anywho, I cranked pretty good on all the clamps to get a nice even glue
sqeeze out along the edges, and I snapped the inner jaws on one of the
Cabinetmasters. It looks like the Cabinetmasters have aluminum jaws,
compared to steel jaws on the German clamps. The Gross Stabils really look
substantial, I don't think I'd be strong enough to snap those under any
circumstance.

As far as the Cabinetmasters, has anyone else experienced this or did I get
a bad clamp in need of return to Fleet Farm?

Posted to rec.woodworking
LP

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 03:51:20 GMT, "Joe Tylicki"
wrote:

[...]

I dont know anything about any of those clamps but if you're cranking
hard enough to break one you're using way too much force.

The key is finesse, not force, and even aluminum should be sufficient
to get the job done.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Joe Tylicki" wrote in message
[...]

I am a strong guy too. :~) LOL I have had 6 break. Jorgensen will
gladly replace the broken piece for free and the replacement is a more
ferrous material. Slightly heavier but they work much more smoothly than
the aluminum ones. Jorgensen told me that they will stand behind the
clamps for as long as I have them. Noooo complaints here.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"LP" wrote in message

I dont know anything about any of those clamps but if you're cranking
hard enough to break one you're using way too much force.

Agreed, however Jorgesen does admit that there was a casting problem causing
voids. They have switched to iron.

The key is finesse, not force, and even aluminum should be sufficient
to get the job done.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Tylicki

Thanks Leon. Whats the best way to contact them for this? I assume I
shouldn't go back to the store. Also, the botton section seems to be
riveted together. Do you drill those out or do they send you a whole new
bottom jaw?

Yes, I realize I am probably clamping too tightly. Maybe the boards weren't
quite flat enough after sitting a week after dimensioning. So far the
lamination has held up fine.

I am a strong guy too. :~) LOL I have had 6 break. Jorgensen will
gladly replace the broken piece for free and the replacement is a more
ferrous material. Slightly heavier but they work much more smoothly than
the aluminum ones. Jorgensen told me that they will stand behind the
clamps for as long as I have them. Noooo complaints here.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy

In trying to determine a favorite, I've purchase 4-8 each of the Bessey K's, Cabinetmasters and Gross Stabil PC2s.

Feel free to send me whichever ones aren't your favorites.
Andy