Posted to rec.woodworking
woody1959

Default picture frame backer boards

Hi, can anyone tell me if it is a bad thing to use 1/4 inch plywood as
a backer board in a picture frame. I was told that the wood (the
ingrediants in the plywood) can damage photos over a period of time. I
also use acid free foamcore backers also. Any opinions on this subject.
Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank K.

You were told correctly. The glues used in plywood produce a
lot of harmful vapors. Acid free backer board, corrugated,
or foamcore are the best choices. Here is where I buy my
framing supplies http://www.dickblick.com. Here is their
corrugated backer http://www.dickblick.com/zz173/24/. Do a
search for mount board on the site.

Frank

"woody1959" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, can anyone tell me if it is a bad thing to use 1/4
inch plywood as
a backer board in a picture frame. I was told that the
wood (the
ingrediants in the plywood) can damage photos over a
period of time. I
also use acid free foamcore backers also. Any opinions on
this subject.
Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley

On 26 Feb 2006 13:50:53 -0800, "woody1959" wrote:

Hi, can anyone tell me if it is a bad thing to use 1/4 inch plywood as
a backer board in a picture frame.

Depends on your meaning of "backer board" It's perfectly reasonable to
use it , but the artwork should be mounted on an archival grade matt and
this should be separated from the plywood by another backer board of
archival grade board (cheap rough grey board is fine - Foamcore is good
too, but expensive). Personally I shellac my plywood too.

Read the whole Recollections site - it's an excellent guide.
http://amol.org.au/recollections/1/4/06.htm