Posted to rec.woodworking
Eric Smith

Default No backer board at Home Depot?

I just went to my local HD store in Rocky Mount, NC and discovered that they
do not carry chair rail backer board. I'm talking about the 5" wide board
that you mount chair rail on. They had chair rail but no backer board. I
just thought it was weird. Has anybody else run into this or is just this
one store? Just curious.

Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour

Eric Smith wrote:
I just went to my local HD store in Rocky Mount, NC and discovered that they
do not carry chair rail backer board. I'm talking about the 5" wide board
that you mount chair rail on. They had chair rail but no backer board. I
just thought it was weird. Has anybody else run into this or is just this
one store? Just curious.

I'm not familiar with mounting chair rail on anything other than
directly on the wall or as a cap over paneling. Do you have any
pictures or links that show what you're talking about?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Eric Smith

I can't seem to locate a good picture of it right now, but what I am talking
about is a flat 5" wide board that has a bead routed along the top and
bottom edge. It is probably a little thinner than 3/4" though. It's common
in this area for this to be installed first and then the more decorative
chair rail is installed on this backer board. In my bedrooms, the backer
board is installed without any chair rail. Hope this helps.

"RicodJour" wrote in message
oups.com...

Eric Smith wrote:
I just went to my local HD store in Rocky Mount, NC and discovered that

they
do not carry chair rail backer board. I'm talking about the 5" wide

board
that you mount chair rail on. They had chair rail but no backer board.

just thought it was weird. Has anybody else run into this or is just

this
one store? Just curious.

I'm not familiar with mounting chair rail on anything other than
directly on the wall or as a cap over paneling. Do you have any
pictures or links that show what you're talking about?

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"Eric Smith" wrote in message
I just went to my local HD store in Rocky Mount, NC and discovered that
they
do not carry chair rail backer board. I'm talking about the 5" wide board
that you mount chair rail on. They had chair rail but no backer board. I
just thought it was weird. Has anybody else run into this or is just this
one store? Just curious.

If you want it, build it. Your choice of edge bead or mold can be nailed to
MDF, which is really just a filler between the rail and the wall, to hide
the build-up.

Posted to rec.woodworking
george

"Eric Smith" wrote in message
I can't seem to locate a good picture of it right now, but what I am
talking
about is a flat 5" wide board that has a bead routed along the top and
bottom edge. It is probably a little thinner than 3/4" though. It's
common
in this area for this to be installed first and then the more decorative
chair rail is installed on this backer board. In my bedrooms, the backer
board is installed without any chair rail. Hope this helps.

I've never seen nor heard of this either (and I thought I'd seen most of
this country). May I ask what region you are in?

"RicodJour" wrote in message
oups.com...

Eric Smith wrote:
I just went to my local HD store in Rocky Mount, NC and discovered that

they
do not carry chair rail backer board. I'm talking about the 5" wide

board
that you mount chair rail on. They had chair rail but no backer board.

just thought it was weird. Has anybody else run into this or is just

this
one store? Just curious.

I'm not familiar with mounting chair rail on anything other than
directly on the wall or as a cap over paneling. Do you have any
pictures or links that show what you're talking about?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Nie

Eric,
My experience has been that a place like The Building Center (Charlotte
area) has great selection and far better pricing.
TomNie

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robert Allison

Eric Smith wrote:
I just went to my local HD store in Rocky Mount, NC and discovered that they
do not carry chair rail backer board. I'm talking about the 5" wide board
that you mount chair rail on. They had chair rail but no backer board. I
just thought it was weird. Has anybody else run into this or is just this
one store? Just curious.

I don't use HD for trim, they are way too expensive. Their
selection is extremely limited in both profiles and lengths.
So I am not surprised that you were disappointed. Try a real
trim mill.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.