Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Plate and bracket VS joinery (eg mortise & tenon) VS nails

I got a little cordless drill and I'm impressed with how easy it is to
make shelves, racks, and perhaps tables as long as I use metal L-shaped
brackets, and perhaps plates or if needed hinges too. One thing that
had held me up from doing woodwork so far was learning all the wood
joints, such as mortise and tenon and et cetera, which I kept putting
off, but now I'm overcome with the urge to do all sorts of stuff given
how simple it is with metal joints.

Another thing I like about metal joints for wood is that I can unscrew
them later on and reassemble what I'd built elsewhere perhaps without
the damage that would've occured from joinery or nails. If the 3mm
screw no longer works I can use 3.5, 4 and 5. I can also reuse the wood
with minimal damage to it.

What do you guys think? Am I missing out on anything?

Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Eric Smith

You have got to invest in a good pocket hole jig, something like the Kreg
Rocket! You will throw away the metal L brackets.

wrote in message
oups.com...

I got a little cordless drill and I'm impressed with how easy it is to
make shelves, racks, and perhaps tables as long as I use metal L-shaped
brackets, and perhaps plates or if needed hinges too. One thing that
had held me up from doing woodwork so far was learning all the wood
joints, such as mortise and tenon and et cetera, which I kept putting
off, but now I'm overcome with the urge to do all sorts of stuff given
how simple it is with metal joints.

Another thing I like about metal joints for wood is that I can unscrew
them later on and reassemble what I'd built elsewhere perhaps without
the damage that would've occured from joinery or nails. If the 3mm
screw no longer works I can use 3.5, 4 and 5. I can also reuse the wood
with minimal damage to it.

What do you guys think? Am I missing out on anything?

Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Locutus

wrote in message
oups.com...

I got a little cordless drill and I'm impressed with how easy it is to
make shelves, racks, and perhaps tables as long as I use metal L-shaped
brackets, and perhaps plates or if needed hinges too. One thing that
had held me up from doing woodwork so far was learning all the wood
joints, such as mortise and tenon and et cetera, which I kept putting
off, but now I'm overcome with the urge to do all sorts of stuff given
how simple it is with metal joints.

Another thing I like about metal joints for wood is that I can unscrew
them later on and reassemble what I'd built elsewhere perhaps without
the damage that would've occured from joinery or nails. If the 3mm
screw no longer works I can use 3.5, 4 and 5. I can also reuse the wood
with minimal damage to it.

What do you guys think? Am I missing out on anything?

Thanks.

This is about the lamest attempt at a troll as I have ever seen. I think you
and stryped should get together, you could learn a lot from each other.

Posted to rec.woodworking
todd

wrote in message
oups.com...

I got a little cordless drill and I'm impressed with how easy it is to
make shelves, racks, and perhaps tables as long as I use metal L-shaped
brackets, and perhaps plates or if needed hinges too. One thing that
had held me up from doing woodwork so far was learning all the wood
joints, such as mortise and tenon and et cetera, which I kept putting
off, but now I'm overcome with the urge to do all sorts of stuff given
how simple it is with metal joints.

Another thing I like about metal joints for wood is that I can unscrew
them later on and reassemble what I'd built elsewhere perhaps without
the damage that would've occured from joinery or nails. If the 3mm
screw no longer works I can use 3.5, 4 and 5. I can also reuse the wood
with minimal damage to it.

What do you guys think? Am I missing out on anything?

Thanks.

It depends on what you're making. If you're building simple utilitarian
bookcase that you want to be able to knock down and put back together in the
future, then what you're doing is fine. OTOH, if you were to want to make
some "fine furniture", then I doubt you'd find many here that would advocate
a construction primarily of screwed metal brackets. Part of building nice
furniture is that it not only works, but is aesthetically pleasing.

todd

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Berger

The metal angle brackets won't give you much strength or support,
so you need to be very careful how you use them. Any stress not
directly straight or perpendicular will tear the screws out.
Unless you use a lot of them across the length of the joined
pieces, they won't support much weight.

If you structure your pieces so the brackets don't support any
real weight but just keep things from sliding around, the
only real drawback is that they're ugly.