Posted to rec.woodworking
Glen

Default Drum sander recommendations

I teach HS woodshop. Yesterday my department chair asked me if I wanted
a drum sander. I answered, "Sure." He asked, "Which one." I asked,
"How much do I get to spend?" He replied, "It all depends on what you
want." I could not get any dollar amount out of him, so I am in a
quandry. I suppose I should request something mid-range in price, but I
also need something that is tough enough to stand up to 180 teenagers a
day and not be too complicated to use. (Actually, it would be less than
that, as only the advanced kids would be using it, the level 1's sand by
hand.)

Most of you guys are smarter than I. What recommendations do you have
of some models I should research. I wish I could provide you with more
info, but I couldn't draw any more out of the chair.

TIA
Glen
Posted to rec.woodworking
Tyke

You do not state the types of projects being sanded, dimensions etc.

The "consumer" end is Performax (now owned by Jet) and Delta with one end
open. Performax moves the head up and down. Delta has fixed head and move
the bed up and down. These cost $1,000 and have 1/2 to 3/4 HP motors.

Personally I prefer moving the head since I can then arrange fixed infeed
and outfeed tables.

Grizzly, Delta and others also have closed end drum sanders. Much higher
price, more powerful motors.

I think the "consumer" end may be more practical.

I have a Performax 16/32. Performax claim you can sand up to 32 inch by
sanding one side then flipping around. Technically it works, but needs the
head to have been aligned exactly parallel. This is not hard to do, but in
a HS situation some re-adjustments may be required.

Sanding paper is easy to replace without tools.

Any drum sander needs good dust collection - lot of airflow.

My own sander is underpowered. Mine is a 1/2 HP motor. Newer models are
3/4 HP. I have to take very little off in a given pass. This is not a
problem for me. Impatient children may cause the motor temperature switch
to trip. This should not damage the motor, and will reinforce removing less
material in a given pass.

Dave Paine.

"Glen" wrote in message
ink.net...
I teach HS woodshop. Yesterday my department chair asked me if I wanted a
drum sander. I answered, "Sure." He asked, "Which one." I asked, "How
much do I get to spend?" He replied, "It all depends on what you want." I
could not get any dollar amount out of him, so I am in a quandry. I
suppose I should request something mid-range in price, but I also need
something that is tough enough to stand up to 180 teenagers a day and not
be too complicated to use. (Actually, it would be less than that, as only
the advanced kids would be using it, the level 1's sand by hand.)

Most of you guys are smarter than I. What recommendations do you have of
some models I should research. I wish I could provide you with more info,
but I couldn't draw any more out of the chair.

TIA
Glen

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Glen" wrote in message
ink.net...
I teach HS woodshop. Yesterday my department chair asked me if I wanted a
drum sander. I answered, "Sure." He asked, "Which one." I asked, "How
much do I get to spend?" He replied, "It all depends on what you want." I
could not get any dollar amount out of him, so I am in a quandry. I
suppose I should request something mid-range in price, but I also need
something that is tough enough to stand up to 180 teenagers a day and not
be too complicated to use. (Actually, it would be less than that, as only
the advanced kids would be using it, the level 1's sand by hand.)

Most of you guys are smarter than I. What recommendations do you have of
some models I should research. I wish I could provide you with more info,
but I couldn't draw any more out of the chair.

There are only a few of us that teach woodworking to teenagers. If I were
you I could contact the manufacturers directly and consider their
suggestions. What gets used in private and small shops with mostly loving
care might hold up years longer than the same unit in a class room.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

"Glen" wrote in message
ink.net...
I teach HS woodshop. Yesterday my department chair asked me if I wanted a
drum sander. I answered, "Sure." He asked, "Which one." I asked, "How
much do I get to spend?" He replied, "It all depends on what you want." I
could not get any dollar amount out of him, so I am in a quandry. I
suppose I should request something mid-range in price, but I also need
something that is tough enough to stand up to 180 teenagers a day and not
be too complicated to use. (Actually, it would be less than that, as only
the advanced kids would be using it, the level 1's sand by hand.)

Most of you guys are smarter than I. What recommendations do you have of
some models I should research. I wish I could provide you with more info,
but I couldn't draw any more out of the chair.

My Performax 16/32 would be completely inappropriate. It takes a lot more
attention to detail and patience than kids have.

A couple years ago I took a woodworking course at a high school. They had
a very expensive belt sander. It was down more than half the time because
the kids kept damaging it through carelessness.

It would be a great tool to have, but I don't know if it is a good
investment for a HS shop.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Scorp

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 16:04:13 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

"Glen" wrote in message
link.net...
I teach HS woodshop. Yesterday my department chair asked me if I wanted a
drum sander.

Snip...
, but I also need
something that is tough enough to stand up to 180 teenagers a day and not
be too complicated to use.

My Performax 16/32 would be completely inappropriate. It takes a lot more
attention to detail and patience than kids have.

A couple years ago I took a woodworking course at a high school. They had
a very expensive belt sander. It was down more than half the time because
the kids kept damaging it through carelessness.

It would be a great tool to have, but I don't know if it is a good
investment for a HS shop.

I love my General International 24" Drum sander, maybe slightly more
heavy duty than others in this class. However I'm just an occasional
weekend handyman, and have to totally agree that these things are
finicky and probably not good for your needs. For instance, last
weekend I ran some fir through it, totally clogged/wrecked the paper
on the first pass. Course it was already used for a couple thousand
lineal feet, taped, spray glued, rewrapped multiple times, torn,
overlapping, and still loosening upon usage....and the wood still
needs to be sanded by other means anyways...

Can't comment on an alternative...although scrapers come to mind.

--------------------
Steve Jensen
Abbotsford B.C.
chopping out the mortise.
BBS'ing since 1982 at 300 bps.
Surfing along at 19200 bps since 95.
WW'ing since 1985
LV Cust #4114

Nothing catchy to say, well maybe.....
WAKE UP - There are no GODs you fools!

Posted to rec.woodworking
BobS

"Glen" wrote in message
ink.net...
I teach HS woodshop. Yesterday my department chair asked me if I wanted a
drum sander. I answered, "Sure." He asked, "Which one." I asked, "How
much do I get to spend?" He replied, "It all depends on what you want." I
could not get any dollar amount out of him, so I am in a quandry. I
suppose I should request something mid-range in price, but I also need
something that is tough enough to stand up to 180 teenagers a day and not
be too complicated to use. (Actually, it would be less than that, as only
the advanced kids would be using it, the level 1's sand by hand.)

Most of you guys are smarter than I. What recommendations do you have of
some models I should research. I wish I could provide you with more info,
but I couldn't draw any more out of the chair.

TIA
Glen

Glen,

I would agree with some of the others that a drum sander is not a wise
investment tool for the schools shop unless you were into making projects
such as doors for cabinets, etc. But it's strange that the department chair
asked if you wanted a drum sander....hmmmmm. Maybe he knows already it
would not be a wise investment and is just testing you....;-)

Ask him for the equivalent amount of cash ($3K) and buy a couple of mini
lathes or more bandsaws - tools that will get used and require a modicum of
skill to operate.

Bob S.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Glen

Funny that you and BobS both are thinking along the same vein. The
chair did mention to me recently that he bought himself a scroll saw and
a few other WW tools. Hmmmmm?!

And to the rest of you fine sirs who responded, thanks. I am copying
down all of your comments and thoughts and will definitely use them when
decision time comes. Last week he bought me a Grizzly router table.
(Or, should I say, submitted the purchase order. From here it takes
several months to go through all the paperwork channels of our district.)

As a side note to all of you who have never had the chance to teach HS
woodshop, even with all of the work and headaches, it's probably the
best job in the world. You get to know the kids on a whole different
level than you would ever get to know them in an academic class. I had
a real rush a few weeks ago. This one young lady was working on a
project of her own design (a decorative wall plaque of a guitar) and
needed to split some 1/8" dowels. She was stuck on how to do it. I
told her to put a narrow kerf in a pine board 1/16" deep and plane it
down to the surface and that would do it. She did and it worked
perfectly. She looked up at me and said, "Wow, Dr. Kraig, you know
everything." While I know I don't, it sure felt good to have one of my
kids say so. I wouldn't trade my job for Bill Gate's.

Glen

Ba r r y wrote:
On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 21:10:40 GMT, "BobS" wrote:

But it's strange that the department chair
asked if you wanted a drum sander....hmmmmm. Maybe he knows already it
would not be a wise investment and is just testing you....;-)

Or he needs one... G

Barry

Posted to rec.woodworking
Devon Miller

Only slightly of topic...

The current issue of Shop Notes has plans for a DIY drum sander. I was
intrigued.
The part of the design I'm less comfortable with is the power source.
It sits atop a
TA with a drive belt attached to the arbor.

Any thoughts on this? It looks like it would be a lot cheaper than the
cheapest
commercial drum sander, but...

Posted to rec.woodworking
Devon Miller

Only slightly of topic...

The current issue of Shop Notes has plans for a DIY drum sander. I was
intrigued.
The part of the design I'm less comfortable with is the power source.
It sits atop a
TS with a drive belt attached to the arbor.

Any thoughts on this? It looks like it would be a lot cheaper than the
cheapest
commercial drum sander, but...

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

It'll work fine. A bit of a pain to have to set it up every time you use it.
Putting a dedicated motor on it would solve that problem.
"Devon Miller" wrote in message
oups.com...
Only slightly of topic...

The current issue of Shop Notes has plans for a DIY drum sander. I was
intrigued.
The part of the design I'm less comfortable with is the power source.
It sits atop a
TS with a drive belt attached to the arbor.

Any thoughts on this? It looks like it would be a lot cheaper than the
cheapest
commercial drum sander, but...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 14:24:05 GMT, Glen wrote:

[...]

I have to ask? "Dr Kraig" ? PhD, I presume, unless it's
wood Dr. Inquiring minds need to know.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Glen

I was one of those people who had a tough time deciding what to do with
my career. I thought for a while I wanted to be a supervisor of
instruction, so I got a masters in instructional supervision. Then I
decided I might want to be a principal, so I got a masters in ed.
administration. Then I thought I wanted to be a university professor
(and I was one for a number of years), so I got my PhD. Then I finally
figured it out. Now I am happy.

Glen