DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   What is it? CIII (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/146037-what-ciii.html)

R.H. February 23rd 06 09:22 AM

What is it? CIII

The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

a l l y February 23rd 06 10:33 AM

What is it? CIII

"R.H." wrote in message
. ..
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

598 - playing cards - though at first I thought it was part of Judge Dredd's
uniform...

ally

Dave Baker February 23rd 06 10:59 AM

What is it? CIII

R.H. wrote in message
. ..
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

593. Key for a water main stop cock or similar with a chipping hammer handle
for getting crud off the tap.

594. Crimping tool of some sort. Looks like it would put an indentation or
even cut a notch in thin sheet metal.

595. Template for pistol making? Getting the trigger in the right place
maybe or the handle angle.

596. For stirring something. Acids maybe because of the glass handle.

597. Gas lamp.

598. A royal card in a deck of playing cards.
--
Dave Baker
www.pumaracing.co.uk

Alexander Thesoso February 23rd 06 11:10 AM

What is it? CIII

594 Nibbling tool. For sloppy, lazy people (like me) to cut thin sheet
metal. Shove against the edge of the sheet metal and squeeze the handles.
It bites a small rectangle out of the sheet. Leaves sharp edges.

597 Miner's carbide lamp. Put calcium carbide in the bottom. Put water in
the top. Gas pressure in the bottom regulates water dripping into the
bottom. Water and calcium carbide react to make acetylene gas.

. ..

Dave Baker February 23rd 06 11:11 AM

What is it? CIII

David Billington wrote in message
.. .
595 lighter for OA welding set and just like mine its been dropped and
the flint holder at the front is bent. Haven't improved that since 1922.

Ha! I wondered what the lightning bolts engraved at the end of it were.
Should have tipped me off really.
--
Dave Baker
www.pumaracing.co.uk

Howard R Garner February 23rd 06 11:45 AM

What is it? CIII

R.H. wrote:
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

593 Fos shut off tool
594 Sheetmetal nibbler
595 Fire Starter / sparker on sone sort
597 Carbide lamp
598 Face Card from a deck of cards,

Posted from RCM

Robert J. Kolker February 23rd 06 12:53 PM

What is it? CIII

R.H. wrote:

The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

599 is a picture card from a deck of cards.

Bob Kolker

[email protected] February 23rd 06 02:18 PM

What is it? CIII

The gold-colored thing in the moving strip is a mountainclimbing item-
put it in a crack, pull on it, the cams expand out and wedge into the
crack.

The red and gray thing- from a tape deck? Rewind, FFwd, stop?
Or a logo from a tape/videotape?

Dave

Gareth Owen February 23rd 06 02:33 PM

What is it? CIII

writes:

The gold-colored thing in the moving strip is a mountainclimbing item-
put it in a crack, pull on it, the cams expand out and wedge into the
crack.

A spring loaded camming-device, usually called a "Friend" for the same
reason vacuum cleaners are called "Hoover".

Steve W. February 23rd 06 03:55 PM

What is it? CIII

593 - Water or gas shut off tool.

594 - nibbler tool (used to cut thin plastic or THIN sheet metal, or my
favorite use which is to make square sided holes in panels for switches)

595 - Flint type igniter for a torch set. Pull the trigger and it sends
a bunch of sparks out the front.

596 - Looks like a beaker paddle.

597 - Carbide hand light

598 - Small part of the face of a playing card.

--
Steve Williams

Mark and Kim Smith February 23rd 06 04:19 PM

What is it? CIII

wrote:

snip

The red and gray thing- from a tape deck? Rewind, FFwd, stop?
Or a logo from a tape/videotape?

Dave

That is actually an exit sign. I think he is asking which item hasn't
been shown before. Might be the one that proceeds the exit sign.
Everything else has been identified in previous games.

Scott Lurndal February 23rd 06 09:05 PM

What is it? CIII

#593 Gas valve handle
#594 Nipper (for making holes in light gauge sheet metal)
#598 Budweiser can?

Scott Lurndal February 23rd 06 09:06 PM

What is it? CIII

Mark and Kim Smith writes:
wrote:

snip

The red and gray thing- from a tape deck? Rewind, FFwd, stop?
Or a logo from a tape/videotape?

Dave

That is actually an exit sign. I think he is asking which item hasn't
been shown before. Might be the one that proceeds the exit sign.
Everything else has been identified in previous games.

The one before it looks like an I-Beam clamp.

scott

TomH February 23rd 06 09:30 PM

What is it? CIII

Scott Lurndal wrote:

Mark and Kim Smith writes:
wrote:

The red and gray thing- from a tape deck? Rewind, FFwd, stop?
Or a logo from a tape/videotape?

That is actually an exit sign. I think he is asking which item hasn't
been shown before. Might be the one that proceeds the exit sign.
Everything else has been identified in previous games.

The one before it looks like an I-Beam clamp.

I think the only one not previously quizzed in the
image of 'three sticks' that look like incense.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v80/ha...rent=loop4.jpg

Which, I believe, are "punks" or smoldering sticks used
for lighting fireworks

[from r.w.]
--

TomH [ antonomasia at gmail dot com ]

Wood Butcher February 23rd 06 09:37 PM

What is it? CIII

I have to disagree with the consensus so far on
item 594. If it were a sheet metal nibbler it would
cut 3 sides to punch out a chunk. This thing appears
to only cut 2 sides and would simply fold the piece
over and not punch it out. Unless there is a missing
die piece to the tool.
The backside also looks like a hole punch. If it were
an alignment pin I think it would be engaged in the
hole for the full travel of the moving head.
That said, I have no idea what it's for.

Art

Norman D. Crow February 23rd 06 09:37 PM

What is it? CIII

"R.H." wrote in message
. ..
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

599 Loop4 I don't recall seeing them before, and they look to me like
"punk sticks". Light the end, they don't so much burn as glow like a cigar
ash, use them for lighting fireworks.

--
Nahmie
The only road to success is always under construction.

[email protected] February 23rd 06 09:44 PM

What is it? CIII

He cheated a little, and showed the device not fully assembled.

I have used one of these, they work quite nicely when the screw's not
loose!

-Dave

Robert Bonomi February 23rd 06 09:46 PM

What is it? CIII

In article , TomH wrote:
Scott Lurndal wrote:

Mark and Kim Smith writes:
wrote:

The red and gray thing- from a tape deck? Rewind, FFwd, stop?
Or a logo from a tape/videotape?

That is actually an exit sign. I think he is asking which item hasn't
been shown before. Might be the one that proceeds the exit sign.
Everything else has been identified in previous games.

The one before it looks like an I-Beam clamp.

I think the only one not previously quizzed in the
image of 'three sticks' that look like incense.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v80/ha...rent=loop4.jpg

Which, I believe, are "punks" or smoldering sticks used
for lighting fireworks

Close, but no seegar. they're sparklers.

James R. Freeman February 23rd 06 10:51 PM

What is it? CIII

594 sheet metal nibler
594 carbide lamp

. ..

Occupant February 23rd 06 10:52 PM

What is it? CIII

You're right.
I have on like this
http://gallery.bcentral.com/GID43512...WAS-28.32.aspx

Item 594 is shown here
http://www.jdr.com/interact/item.asp?itemno=NIBBLER

Art

oups.com...

DoN. Nichols February 24th 06 03:43 AM

What is it? CIII

According to R.H. :
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking again.

593) A wrench, probably for something like a shutoff valve buried in
the ground with the pointed pick on one side of the handle for
hooking and removing a cover plate.

594) One of the forms of sheet metal nibblers. This one looks as
though the plate which should be below the metal being cut is
somehow raised too high by a spring.

595) Now this is a weird one. Looking at the lighting bolts on the
"muzzle" end, I suspect that it is a spark lighter using
something like the flints in old cigarette lighters and a wheel
spun by the trigger.

596) A stirrer for mixing chemicals -- for example photographic
chemicals.

597) A miner's carbide lamp. The top is filled with water, the
bottom with lumps of calcium carbide, and the lever along the
top allows control of the rate at which the water drips into the
carbide.

The combination of the water and the carbide produces acetylene,
which feeds through a nozzle in the reflector. Some of them
have a flint and wheel so they can be lit without needing a
match or other source of flame.

598) Extreme close-ups of "face" playing cards -- Kings, queens, or
jacks.

599) I'm not positive which of these is the one which has not been
shown before, but I *think* that it is the one with the three
"sticks". (How do we identify the one which we are answering
about?) O.K. I see that while all are "Album 3", this one is
"loop4.jpg".

Anyway -- I *think* that these are arc welding rods. The metal
is too fat (and the color is wrong) to be the other guess, a
"sparkler" from 4th of July fireworks collections.

Now to see what others have guessed.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Oleg Lego February 24th 06 05:17 AM

What is it? CIII

The R.H. entity posted thusly:

The latest set has just been posted:

595 - Flint igniter
597 - Carbide lamp
598 - Face card 1: Jack of Diamonds
2: King of Diamonds

Loop3: Ball bearing (used)
Loop4: Punks for lighting fireworks

That's all I know ( or think I know).
The crimper thingy sure looks familiar, though

Oleg Lego February 24th 06 05:22 AM

What is it? CIII

The Robert Bonomi entity posted thusly:

Which, I believe, are "punks" or smoldering sticks used
for lighting fireworks

Close, but no seegar. they're sparklers.

Don't think so. Sparklers have a metallic texture. These look like
they are porous and somewhat soft, just like punks.

Unknown February 24th 06 05:51 AM

What is it? CIII

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 07:53:02 -0500, "Robert J. Kolker"
wrote:

,;R.H. wrote:
,;
,; The latest set has just been posted:
,;
,; http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/
,;
,;599 is a picture card from a deck of cards.
,;

596 glass stirring rod with "policeman". Used in chemical analysis
when transferring precipitates from a beaker to filter paper e.g.

597 carbide lamp

Robert Bonomi February 24th 06 02:01 PM

What is it? CIII

In article ,
Oleg Lego wrote:
The Robert Bonomi entity posted thusly:

Which, I believe, are "punks" or smoldering sticks used
for lighting fireworks

Close, but no seegar. they're sparklers.

Don't think so. Sparklers have a metallic texture.

Some do, some don't. The ones that burn 'magnesium white', do have
the metallic texture to them, agreed. some that burn other colors
(e.g. blue or red), are much less metallic looking.

Devon Miller February 24th 06 02:06 PM

What is it? CIII

594 - Valve handle
595 - Flint sparker for lighting a gas torch or burner
596 - Sheet metal nibbler
597 - Carbide lamp
598 - Playing card
599
loop1 - climbing cam
loop2 - A shedding comb
loop3 - Cannon ball
loop4 - Punk stick for lighting fireworks - or possibly incense
loop5 - An "EXIT" sign
loop6 - I think it's a clamp for retaining a spring. Maybe for auto
suspension?
loop7 - Textured handle? Non-slip flooring?

Maybe, but from the scaling I'd gues it to be pretty large. 4" maybe?
I'd say something more like a cannon ball.

R.H. February 24th 06 10:50 PM

What is it? CIII

wrote in message
oups.com...
He cheated a little, and showed the device not fully assembled.

I have used one of these, they work quite nicely when the screw's not
loose!

-Dave

Thanks for mentioning the screw, that's how it was when I got it at the flea
market. As mentioned on the answer page, I didn't realize the end plate was
stuck on the cutter, but after hammering it off, this tool is back in it's
original shape. It works a whole lot better now that it's been repaired.;^)

Sorry about the misleading photos in the OP.

Rob

Mark Brader February 25th 06 02:31 AM

What is it? CIII

"R.H." writes:
For those that guessed some of the older ones in the photo loop:

Next week I'm thinking about putting the previous set in the moving photo
strip, and showing only the latest post on the main page. I'll see how it
looks.

Oh, it's supposed to be *animated*! No wonder it didn't make sense.
You have to *tell* people if you want them to turn on things like
animation and Javascript, you know. In fact, why require it?
--
Mark Brader | "This is just the result of someone sitting down before
Toronto | a computer and carefully removing his head first.

Oleg Lego February 25th 06 05:26 AM

What is it? CIII

The R.H. entity posted thusly:

598. Playing cards

Right, but the face and suit? I think I got it right.

R.H. February 25th 06 11:00 AM

What is it? CIII

"Oleg Lego" wrote in message
The R.H. entity posted thusly:

598. Playing cards

Right, but the face and suit? I think I got it right.

Yes, you were correct, it was the King and Jack of Diamonds. I forgot to
mention that here in the newsgroups but on the answer page more detail was
given.

Rob

Dave Baker February 25th 06 11:36 AM

What is it? CIII

R.H. wrote in message
m...

"Mark Brader" wrote in message
"R.H." writes:
For those that guessed some of the older ones in the photo loop:

Next week I'm thinking about putting the previous set in the moving

photo
strip, and showing only the latest post on the main page. I'll see

how
it
looks.

Oh, it's supposed to be *animated*! No wonder it didn't make sense.
You have to *tell* people if you want them to turn on things like
animation and Javascript, you know. In fact, why require it?

Sorry, I didn't know that some people turned off animation and Javascript.
Now I'm wondering
how many people do this and if I should continue with it or just go with
non-moving photos, the only
reason that I used it was to try something different.

Keep it simple for those that don't have every new-fangled bell and whistle
installed on their pc. Personally I hate these intrusive moving images that
Javascript and Flash player impose on me when I go into websites.
--
Dave Baker
www.pumaracing.co.uk

Bruce Barnett February 25th 06 11:57 AM

What is it? CIII

"R.H." writes:

Sorry, I didn't know that some people turned off animation and Javascript.

I use firefox, and have it set up disable Javascript by default. Too
many sites have attacks that use Javascript, and I hate pop-ups.
Anyhow - a box appears that tells me Javascript is requested. If I
feel confident, I enable it either temporarily or permanently.

But to answer your question -

http://www.webaim.org/discussion/mai...ge.php?id=4450
says 4 to 13% have disabled javascript

says says 11% - but I can't duplicate his search to get the latest numbers.

Enoch Root February 25th 06 09:27 PM

What is it? CIII

R.H. wrote:

Sorry, I didn't know that some people turned off animation and Javascript.
Now I'm wondering
how many people do this and if I should continue with it or just go with
non-moving photos, the only
reason that I used it was to try something different.

I do (turn off javascript). I have an extension for firefox (NoScript)
that lets me selectively turn it on for a given host, domain, etc...
even on a temporary basis.

I normally don't do it for any site I'm not using in a work related way:
usually university applications & such. If a site requires javascript
for navigation I may not bother with it.

er
--
email not valid

David Farmer February 26th 06 01:21 AM

What is it? CIII

hi R.H.

I think that you are doing such a great job of entertaining us each month
that you can do whatever you want to do to keep this interesting to
you!!!!!!

thanks for your time
Dave

DoN. Nichols February 26th 06 01:42 AM

What is it? CIII

According to R.H. :

"Mark Brader" wrote in message

[ ... ]

Oh, it's supposed to be *animated*! No wonder it didn't make sense.
You have to *tell* people if you want them to turn on things like
animation and Javascript, you know. In fact, why require it?

Sorry, I didn't know that some people turned off animation and Javascript.
Now I'm wondering
how many people do this and if I should continue with it or just go with
non-moving photos, the only
reason that I used it was to try something different.

It depends upon the site. If I am going to a well-known (to me)
site, I may turn on JavaScript (or Java), but normally they are off,
because I know the nasty things which can be done by abusing them.

Granted, most of those nasty things are aimed at Windows
systems, so my unix boxen are less vulnerable so far -- but who knows
when someone will target an attack at the various unix systems.

I happened to have it on when I visited your site last, but a
warning that JavaScript is needed is a polite thing to do.

I used to have it off more of the time, before moving to Opera
as a browser, which does an excellent job of blocking pop-ups. (So does
Mozilla with the right options set, but Opera is a faster browser at the
moment -- and it has fewer things enabled which might be problems.)

FWIW -- I *refuse* to install the plugin for ShockWave Flash. I
have yet to see anything that it does which I *need* done, and once when
I did have it installed, I found strange processes running after I
exited the browser. It took me a while to yank out Flash by its roots.
I have the same feelings about RealAudio.

I *might* install them for special purposes -- *if* the browsers
would offer the ability to simply turn them on and off from a menu as
you can with Java and JavaScript.

Most of the time, I have cookies turned off, too.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Enoch Root February 26th 06 02:56 AM

What is it? CIII

Enoch Root wrote:

If a site requires javascript
for navigation I may not bother with it.

I should clarify that: I mean "require" in the sense of usability. If
you're using it as a border between this weeks and last weeks widgets,
there isn't a problem for me.

And... I've been visiting every week. :)

er
--
email not valid

Jon Elson February 26th 06 06:38 AM

What is it? CIII

R.H. wrote:
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

593 wrench for turning square valve? stems

594 sheet metal nibler

596 paint stirrer

597 carbide headlamp

598 playing card

587 Lionel train transformer

590 coin change dispenser

Jon

DoN. Nichols February 27th 06 03:21 AM

What is it? CIII

According to Enoch Root :

I recognize that e-mail name and username.

It created some confusion at one point in a book which I have
read. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Barbara Bailey February 28th 06 05:08 AM

What is it? CIII

om...

"R.H." writes:
For those that guessed some of the older ones in the photo loop:
Next week I'm thinking about putting the previous set in the moving

photo
strip, and showing only the latest post on the main page. I'll see

how
it
looks.

Oh, it's supposed to be *animated*! No wonder it didn't make sense.
You have to *tell* people if you want them to turn on things like
animation and Javascript, you know. In fact, why require it?

Sorry, I didn't know that some people turned off animation and Javascript.
Now I'm wondering
how many people do this and if I should continue with it or just go with
non-moving photos, the only
reason that I used it was to try something different.

Personally, I'm on an old, slow machine and a very slow dial-up
connection, so moving images often either take forever to load or hang
the page completely.

Barb