Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking
Richard

Default Question when sharpening chisels and plane blades

Folks, I have been using a grinder and white aluminum oxide stone to
hollow grind my chisels, then taking them to a couple of Japanese
waterstones to finish honing them. I have been removing the hollow
grind when using the waterstones, but it is an awful lot of work and I
am wondering if I need to. What is your opinion? Should I just grind
them to the approximate shape (until I get a good burr on the back
edge), then just hone them slightly on the rougher of the two
waterstones, then changing the angle a bit and giving them a microbevel
on the finer of the two Japanese stones? Thanks so much in advance for
your help, Richard