Posted to rec.woodworking
foggytown

Default Joy of simplicity

One cheap-ass cable channel has been showing NYW episodes from 1991.
When I watched the first one I soon felt a different attitude than I
have to the last few years. I realized that I was somehow more
"comfortable" with what Norm was doing because he was (at least 15
years ago) closer to me in technical standards. He was using a drum
sanding attachment to his drill press, and a morticing attachment. He
belt-sanded panels. His jointer wasn't big enough to handle a sequoia.
His featherboards were laughably ragged with teeth missing. In all, I
could "relate" because he was making furniture more than he was
operating wowser machinery.

Bring on 1992.

FoggyTown

Posted to rec.woodworking
Brent Beal

"foggytown" wrote in message
oups.com...
One cheap-ass cable channel has been showing NYW episodes from 1991.
When I watched the first one I soon felt a different attitude than I
have to the last few years. I realized that I was somehow more
"comfortable" with what Norm was doing because he was (at least 15
years ago) closer to me in technical standards. He was using a drum
sanding attachment to his drill press, and a morticing attachment. He
belt-sanded panels. His jointer wasn't big enough to handle a sequoia.
His featherboards were laughably ragged with teeth missing. In all, I
could "relate" because he was making furniture more than he was
operating wowser machinery.

Bring on 1992.

FoggyTown

What????? You didn't see the Shop Smith, the craftsman saw and the other
antiques?+

Posted to rec.woodworking
foggytown

Brent Beal wrote:
"foggytown" wrote in message
oups.com...
One cheap-ass cable channel has been showing NYW episodes from 1991.
When I watched the first one I soon felt a different attitude than I
have to the last few years. I realized that I was somehow more
"comfortable" with what Norm was doing because he was (at least 15
years ago) closer to me in technical standards. He was using a drum
sanding attachment to his drill press, and a morticing attachment. He
belt-sanded panels. His jointer wasn't big enough to handle a sequoia.
His featherboards were laughably ragged with teeth missing. In all, I
could "relate" because he was making furniture more than he was
operating wowser machinery.

Bring on 1992.

FoggyTown

What????? You didn't see the Shop Smith, the craftsman saw and the other
antiques?

I was just intrigued how "bare" the shop looked without all the new
doo-dahs. Not even a tenoning jig to be seen! He was making tenons
with TS and BS.

FoggyTown