Posted to rec.woodworking
Squarei4dtoolguy

Default Who Is WOOD SMITH ?

Respected Woodworkers of the Usenet contributers,

I got a letter from Wood Smith and a chart showing sizes of screws and
on the back, a guide to wood types for woodworking projects. The chart
is paper with a shiny face. The letter said he could teach me how to be
a better woodworker! WOWEE! Mr. Smith, How much would you charge me
for that?

GASP! a $74.00 value for $28.00?!

Wait a minute,,Executive and professional rate,,? If I rank a
professional or an executive rate, why do you think I need to learn how
to do, what I do, for a living? The Handyman Club sends me a fairly
nice drill size gauge made of medium thickness plastic once in a while.
I keep those and throw the rest away. Mr. Smith, send me something
better next time.

PASS,,

NEXT !,, looks like an insurance bill. Hmmm.

Tom in KY, The differences in SPAM and junk mail ;

it's cheaper for them to SPAM me

It costs them more to send junk mail

I can hit DELETE or,

I have to take the #@$% garbage out.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Jackson

Don't forget Tom, you also get a free preview issue and the "Ultimate
Jigs & Fixtures Handbook", a $14.95 value free. OH, and did you flip that
screw chart over? The reverse side is a guide to Common Woodworking Woods!
All in all, I do pickup their magazine on occasion and I like it. It's
by the same folks who do Shopnotes. No ads at all in their magazines, and
some decent projects. I may have to send the card back in. After all,
there is a Risk-Free 100% Money- Back Guarantee!! --dave

"Squarei4dtoolguy" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Squarei4dtoolguy

Dave Jackson wrote:
Don't forget Tom, you also get a free preview issue and the "Ultimate
Jigs & Fixtures Handbook", a $14.95 value free. OH, and did you flip that
screw chart over? The reverse side is a guide to Common Woodworking Woods!
All in all, I do pickup their magazine on occasion and I like it. It's
by the same folks who do Shopnotes. No ads at all in their magazines, and
some decent projects. I may have to send the card back in. After all,
there is a Risk-Free 100% Money- Back Guarantee!! --dave

Hey Dave,

Now you've got me thinking that I should dig that offer out of the
garbage and reconsider!

I'm not condemning Woodsmith, I just wanted to share my "gloat" with
you guys.

Tom in KY, a 100% guarantee, hmmm, NOPE, it's in the garbage now. I did
keep the screw guide though with the wood for projects guide on the
other side :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking
bf

Squarei4dtoolguy wrote:
Respected Woodworkers of the Usenet contributers,

I got a letter from Wood Smith and a chart showing sizes of screws and
on the back, a guide to wood types for woodworking projects. The chart
is paper with a shiny face. The letter said he could teach me how to be
a better woodworker! WOWEE! Mr. Smith, How much would you charge me
for that?

It's actually a pretty good magazine. You might be advanced enough not
to learn anything from it, but it's definitely not in the same league
as HandyMan Club of America as you implied in your note.

$12/year for a woodworking magazine is pretty good rate. Especially,
since I don't think it has ads.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Squarei4dtoolguy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Respected Woodworkers of the Usenet contributers,

I got a letter from Wood Smith and a chart showing sizes of screws and
on the back, a guide to wood types for woodworking projects. The chart
is paper with a shiny face. The letter said he could teach me how to be
a better woodworker! WOWEE! Mr. Smith, How much would you charge me
for that?

I got a similar card in the mail from Mercedes Benz.

Actually you would probably learn something from WoodSmith.

Posted to rec.woodworking
leonard

You know wood smith is toms boy down by the corner!

Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 15:39:19 GMT, "Leon" wrote:

"Squarei4dtoolguy" wrote in message
roups.com...
Respected Woodworkers of the Usenet contributers,

I got a letter from Wood Smith and a chart showing sizes of screws and
on the back, a guide to wood types for woodworking projects. The chart
is paper with a shiny face. The letter said he could teach me how to be
a better woodworker! WOWEE! Mr. Smith, How much would you charge me
for that?

I got a similar card in the mail from Mercedes Benz.

Yeah, but the Benz screw size card is all in metric.

Actually you would probably learn something from WoodSmith.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob G.

It's actually a pretty good magazine. You might be advanced enough not
to learn anything from it, but it's definitely not in the same league
as HandyMan Club of America as you implied in your note.

$12/year for a woodworking magazine is pretty good rate. Especially,
since I don't think it has ads.

I am a LONG time subscriber to Woodsmith...
LIKE from DAY ONE...
started with issue number 1...all of 3 or 4 pages TOTAL...

And I still have 99 percent of the issues...And Boy should I ever get
my act together and find them all organize them etc...

I've been retired now for 8 years and when bored or between projects
I just grab a pile of the old issues and skim thru them to see what is
interesting enough to raid the lumber rack and make...

Looking back...Woodsmith has been, and continues to be a GREAT rag..
never regretted subscribing and never even though of not continuing my
subscription ..

Bob G.
..

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob G.

It's actually a pretty good magazine. You might be advanced enough not
to learn anything from it, but it's definitely not in the same league
as HandyMan Club of America as you implied in your note.

$12/year for a woodworking magazine is pretty good rate. Especially,
since I don't think it has ads.

==================
Oh I forgot to add.... They never seem to do things the simple way...
every Joint they use is 3-4 times as hard as the easy joint...

But Oh Have I learned alot over the years...and I have built plenty
of their projects...and NOT a single one was done completely the way
they suggested...

Bob G.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Rich

I've got to agree. I've been a subscriber since issue 40 something. No ads,
great projects, excellent how to's. My only complaint is they used to sell
ALL the back issues, now they are owned by a new publishing company and only
a very few limited number of back issues are available. I could kick myself
for not ordering them a long time ago. I have learned so much from Woodsmith
over the years. It has been well worth the money invested in subscribing.
I've kept every issue and refer to them all the time.

"Bob G." wrote in message

It's actually a pretty good magazine. You might be advanced enough not
to learn anything from it, but it's definitely not in the same league
as HandyMan Club of America as you implied in your note.

$12/year for a woodworking magazine is pretty good rate. Especially,
since I don't think it has ads.

==================
Oh I forgot to add.... They never seem to do things the simple way...
every Joint they use is 3-4 times as hard as the easy joint...

But Oh Have I learned alot over the years...and I have built plenty
of their projects...and NOT a single one was done completely the way
they suggested...

Bob G.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Ron Truitt

I'm glad you guys are talking about it. I think I will take a look at
several issues. I'm due for a foray into something new.

Ron T