Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Reed

Default Just broke down and got some Stickley

I have finally let go of the dream of building all our furniture. I
just don't have the time. I can crank out a nice piece every year, but
I can't be depended upon for anything significant under a deadline.
Bike racks, sheds, medicine cabinets, etc. I'm pretty speedy with, but
not the big stuff like armoires.

Anyway, we happened upon a gently used Stickley dining set on
Craigslist. We got the mission table, eight chairs, and buffet with
china top. We paid a little less than 1/3 retail, which is still
somewhat outrageous, but technically a good deal as it won't really
depreciate from here. The seller gave us the original receipts, and it
was all $14,200 new. Yikes!

The set is about 6 years old, and man is it nicely done. The previous
owners pretty much ate at their bar and said they served fewer than 5
meals on this set, which is just a crying shame. We'll get use out of
it weekly, and more in once the kids get past the "let's stick a fork
in between the leaves" stage.

The pins, through tenons, quarter sawn oak, solid wood, the lines, it's
all about like I'd want to do it if I had the time. It really is nice
stuff. I'd never be able to compete with the leaded glass on the china
cabinet. It's beautiful.

So, I'm a little torn. I feel bad that I didn't get the opportunity to
make a set like this, but it really is nice, and I don't think I could
do a significantly better job myself. It does free me up for some more
personal projects, like an upcoming dollhouse for my daughter,.

-Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom

Yep, I've let go of fixing everything myself, myself. With all the
rentals we've got, it just cannot be done. But I'm still set on
building what we need.... Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article .com,
"Mike Reed" wrote:

We paid a little less than 1/3 retail, which is still
somewhat outrageous, but technically a good deal as it won't really
depreciate from here.

You may not have intended to gloat, but you are gloating.
You suck, you hear me??? Suck, suck, suck!!!

1/3 of retail.... jeeezz
Posted to rec.woodworking
B a r r y

Mike Reed wrote:

The set is about 6 years old, and man is it nicely done.

My dining chairs are genuine Stickley, from NY, so I know exactly what
you mean.

BTW, you suck! G
Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy

It really is nice stuff.

That's for sure! I've wandered through their showroom before, and my
jaw must have been just hanging open, because one of the salespeople
came up to me and the first thing she said was "I can tell you love
furniture!" I managed to get one of their catalogs, and that
"furniture porn" is a little past Lee Valley "tool porn" in my reading
collection. It is a good source of inspiration, though, not just
drool.
I also know what you mean about reluctantly buying furniture - I had to
buy a dining table and chairs when we moved last year, and it was a
little tough. Had to admit I just wouldn't have time in the forseeable
future. The table is definitely "imitation" mission style - fairly
solid and definitely functional, but there are butterfly "connectors"
in the middle of the sheets of veneer on the tabletop, fake screwed-on
through-tenons, etc. I did put on a couple coats of Rockhard Table-top
varnish, so I feel like I can take at least a little bit of credit if
it lasts more than a few years.
Congrats on your good deal,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking
B a r r y

Andy wrote:
It is a good source of inspiration, though, not just
drool.

I actually keep their catalogs with my design books and plans.

Their finishes and wood selection are also something to behold in
person. Way beyond most other "factory" furniture.

The Newington, CT showroom is a former Service Merchandise store, with
the warehouse / retail store divider removed. It's the size of a big
Best Buy or Circuit City, possibly even an older Home Depot. The
employees are relatively laid back and are willing to leave you alone to
wander. Well worth a walk through, if you're interested in the styles
and happen to be in the area.

Barry
Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Reed

No, I pretty much intended it as a gloat, but I wasn't sure if it would
be recieved as a gloat here

"I just paid $4500 for 120 board-feet of quartersawn white oak! (and
some stain)"

lol

My wife and I are still in the "sit on the stairs and stare at it"
stage.

Robatoy wrote:
In article .com,
"Mike Reed" wrote:

We paid a little less than 1/3 retail, which is still
somewhat outrageous, but technically a good deal as it won't really
depreciate from here.

You may not have intended to gloat, but you are gloating.
You suck, you hear me??? Suck, suck, suck!!!

1/3 of retail.... jeeezz

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Reed

B a r r y wrote:
Their finishes and wood selection are also something to behold in
person. Way beyond most other "factory" furniture.

Yeah, the coloring strikes me. I really hadn't noticed how honey-red
all the other mission stuff out there is. This is so much more of a
chocolate color. It really is pretty, and it's striking compared to the
oak desk I built in a nearby room.

This set has given me something to strive for regarding finishes.
Finishing has traditionally been my shortfall, but I've learned a lot
in the last year. We'll see how it plays out.

I'm starting to think about a nice serving cart project now. It would
be wonderful if I could make a piece that would be allowed to live in
the dining room

-Mike