Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

Default Gloat and dilemma

A stanley #5 with lots of blade, a type 19 with the rounded cutter top,
rosewood handles, nickel plated forked lever, and vertical characters on
the lateral adjust. Looks like it was only used a little, and I think
the factory milling marks are still on the cutter bevel.

Cost me $10 and about as much to ship.

I'm very happy with the plane. Except for one thing. During shipping
the toe was chipped and the iron deformed around the chip such that I'll
have to lap the sole a bit to get things right. There's a smile on that
end of the box where the plane punched through it, and the only packing
is some bubble wrap wound around its long axis (ends were exposed) and
some popcorn.

Doesn't bother me.

But now, do I take one for the team and leave bad feedback? 'Cause it's
still a good deal. I made a huge error not checking this guy's feedback
before bidding and now I notice it is awful, he doesn't give feedback
unless the seller gives it first, and he's retaliatory. I can be
assured of getting bad feedback, but I'm also reasonably sure no one
would take it seriously. His bad feedback would have kept me from
bidding... had I looked. Maybe that's why it was so cheap?

Because now I'm faced with my own principles: I rate shipping speed,
packaging, and match to description. That's always what I said, and
I've always given good feedback because I never thought I had a problem
with any of those. But this time, I think the packaging was bad, even
when the other criteria are good, this one was bad.

So I could give a neutral. He'll (I'm sure) give me a negative, and
I'll have to clarify in the followups and hope people read it.

I could give a negative. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

er
--
email not valid