Posted to rec.woodworking
CFster

Default Wait to stain trim?

I just had new "new construction" windows installed, and I have to cut new
interior trim out of pine. My plan is to stain them.

However, being from CT, it's cold up here this time of year and staining in
the house without ventilation probably isn't good for my pregnant wife.

I was thinking of installing the trim now (so we'll have something to hang
our blinds from), and staining in a few months. The trim will be installed
with small trim nails so it shouldn't be a problem to pull it back off.

The interiors of the windows (Anderson) are unfinished pine as well.

Am I hurting anything by waiting a few months?

-CF

Posted to rec.woodworking
woodarama

i'm in ct also,why don't you use a water based stain and then a
waterbased poly,no odor.if you still want to wait i wouldn't take the
trim off afterward,just stain it while it's on.tape around it first.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Unquestionably Confused

CFster wrote:
I just had new "new construction" windows installed, and I have to cut new
interior trim out of pine. My plan is to stain them.

However, being from CT, it's cold up here this time of year and staining in
the house without ventilation probably isn't good for my pregnant wife.

I was thinking of installing the trim now (so we'll have something to hang
our blinds from), and staining in a few months. The trim will be installed
with small trim nails so it shouldn't be a problem to pull it back off.

The interiors of the windows (Anderson) are unfinished pine as well.

Am I hurting anything by waiting a few months?

If you want to wait a few months to stain, yet still get the trim up and
mount blinds, drapes, etc. How about this?

Trim out the windows but before trimming them out, staple waxed paper
around the periphery. After you trim out, go around and trim the wax
paper leaving whatever margin you're comfortable with to mask the wall.

Once you stain, seal and finish the trim, take a brand new razor knife
and draw it down the joint between the trim and the wall. You're done!
No other masking or cleanup, touchup necessary.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Phisherman

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 05:57:29 -0500, "CFster"
wrote:

I just had new "new construction" windows installed, and I have to cut new
interior trim out of pine. My plan is to stain them.

However, being from CT, it's cold up here this time of year and staining in
the house without ventilation probably isn't good for my pregnant wife.

I was thinking of installing the trim now (so we'll have something to hang
our blinds from), and staining in a few months. The trim will be installed
with small trim nails so it shouldn't be a problem to pull it back off.

The interiors of the windows (Anderson) are unfinished pine as well.

Am I hurting anything by waiting a few months?

-CF

Possibly removing the trim could damage it and condensation may damage
the wood.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Guess who

wrote:

I just had new "new construction" windows installed, and I have to cut new
interior trim out of pine. My plan is to stain them.

What colour?

Don't stain. Pine darkens with age to a golden brown. Varnish, and
you're done. Be patient. It's like waiting for cedar to turn grey;
worth the wait.

Posted to rec.woodworking
CFster

wrote:

I just had new "new construction" windows installed, and I have to cut new
interior trim out of pine. My plan is to stain them.

What colour?

Don't stain. Pine darkens with age to a golden brown. Varnish, and
you're done. Be patient. It's like waiting for cedar to turn grey;
worth the wait.

It has to match the rest of the trim around the doors and baseboards which
is already stained.

-CF

Posted to rec.woodworking
CFster

wrote:

I just had new "new construction" windows installed, and I have to cut new
interior trim out of pine. My plan is to stain them.

However, being from CT, it's cold up here this time of year and staining
in
the house without ventilation probably isn't good for my pregnant wife.

I was thinking of installing the trim now (so we'll have something to hang
our blinds from), and staining in a few months. The trim will be installed
with small trim nails so it shouldn't be a problem to pull it back off.

The interiors of the windows (Anderson) are unfinished pine as well.

Am I hurting anything by waiting a few months?

-CF

Possibly removing the trim could damage it and condensation may damage
the wood.

Yeah, that was what I was worried about - especially in the bathroom.
Perhaps I'll find a way to get rid of the wife for a weekend.

-CF

Posted to rec.woodworking
CFster

"Unquestionably Confused" wrote in message
. net...
CFster wrote:
[...]

Sounds like a good idea, but I still have to mask off the glass as the
inside of the window frames are pine.

-CF

Posted to rec.woodworking
CFster

"woodarama" wrote in message
oups.com...
i'm in ct also,why don't you use a water based stain and then a
waterbased poly,no odor.if you still want to wait i wouldn't take the
trim off afterward,just stain it while it's on.tape around it first.

How about that all in one stain-poly stuff. How does that work?

-CF

Wood trim total replacement rdpintexas Home Repair 3 September 29th 05 09:57 PM
how to choose wood stain Melissa Home Repair 12 August 3rd 05 03:10 PM
Hood Wiping Wood Stain Test Rumpty Woodworking 4 November 26th 04 01:33 AM
acid stain concrete WHoME? Home Repair 8 August 5th 04 03:05 AM
stain or knot? David Woodworking 3 August 4th 04 03:41 AM