Posted to rec.woodworking
Keith

Default Wear on joiner blades

I have a grizzly g0500 8" joiner and noticed I get more wear on the blades in
the first 3/4" of the blade. I'm sure this is from edge joining the boards.
Should I move the planer fence from time to time to get a even wear or will
this mess up a boards surface. I usually edge join first then surface the board
on the joiner
Posted to rec.woodworking
tom

Hi, Keith. Yes, occasionally move the jointer fence to distribute wear
more evenly when edge jointing. You'd probably get a "truer" 90 if you
face joint first, then edge joint. It puts a larger registering surface
onto the jointer fence. Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking
GeeDubb

"Keith" wrote in message
I have a grizzly g0500 8" joiner and noticed I get more wear on the blades
in
the first 3/4" of the blade. I'm sure this is from edge joining the
boards.
Should I move the planer fence from time to time to get a even wear or
will
this mess up a boards surface. I usually edge join first then surface the
board
on the joiner

I'm constantly moving the fence around just to avoid what you are
experiencing.....and to avoid that little nick in the blade that always
seems to appear just after sharpening.

Gary

Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Drackman

"Keith" wrote in message
I have a grizzly g0500 8" joiner and noticed I get more wear on the blades
in
the first 3/4" of the blade. I'm sure this is from edge joining the
boards.
Should I move the planer fence from time to time to get a even wear or
will
this mess up a boards surface. I usually edge join first then surface the
board
on the joiner

Yes, keep moving the fence so that all areas of the blades get a chance of
equal wear. I also shift the blades a little bit every now and then.